Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to market research firm NPD, Apple's Mac OS X Snow Leopard has seen very strong sales thus far, having sold more than twice as many copies during its first two weeks on the market as Mac OS X Leopard did in late 2007. Early sales of Snow Leopard also exceed those of 2005's Mac OS X Tiger by nearly four times.
"Even though some considered Snow Leopard to be less feature-focused than the releases of Leopard or Tiger, the ease of upgrading to Snow Leopard and the affordable pricing made it a win-win for Apple computer owners - thus helping to push sales to record numbers" said Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis at NPD.
The report notes that Snow Leopard generated significant sales momentum, with sales dropping only 25% from week 1 to week 2. Leopard and Tiger reportedly experienced approximately 60% drops in sales numbers in their second weeks on the market.

Research analyst Gene Munster had previously estimated that Apple would sell approximately five million copies of Snow Leopard during its launch quarter, which ends later this month. Given that Apple sold over two million copies of Leopard in just its first weekend, NPD's data suggests that Apple should easily reach Munster's target.

Article Link: Early Snow Leopard Sales More Than Double Those of Leopard

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
$129 wasn't a bad price even for Leopard. You could also say "see what happens when you release 1 OS and not 3-4 versions of the same one?"

The only thing that may slow down SL is that there isn't any buzz from Apple out there on TV about it and what I see online is a lot of 'it's worth it but maybe not right now since not many apps out there can use the features' comments.

coral

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2007
This is great!

It will drive the adoption of the new set of technologies even faster! And open-sourcing GCD means that the technology hopefully will find it's way into every application soon.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Of course the price certainly helps. I think the quick release of 10.6.1 helped too. I personally vowed to wait until the first point release before purchasing, in hopes of avoiding any immediate-adopter issues, and haven't had any problems so far. I suspect the eventual release of 10.6.2 will see a brief uptick again for people who want to wait for a couple point releases to be out before adopting a new OS version. Given the low price, I would assume that eventually pretty much every Intel Mac will be upgraded eventually, especially as applications begin utilizing the new core technologies and the performance benefit becomes more pronounced.

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
Given the low price, I would assume that eventually pretty much every Intel Mac will be upgraded

Given the nice low price, I would assume that a fair few copies are sold to people that are upgrading their Intel non-Macs with a nice retail disc too.

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
That's funny. For me SL is the first update I have not purchased immediately. I guess I just got fed up with waiting for the rest of the OSX ecosystem to catch up. ie: I can't be bothered to again discover that various programs around my system suddenly don't work and I have to wait for updates.

Also I have a question (I know this probably isn't the correct place, sorry).
Will SL run my old PPC Apps? I still use MS office purchased in about 2002/2003 when i was using a powerbook. Does the lack of PPC support in SL mean no more Rosetta to run old apps?

MalibuMatt98

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
For $30 for improved performance, more hard drive space, you get nothing to lose. For the upgrade from 10.5.8 was smooth as promised, and I reclaimed approx. 22GB of HD space. Hopefully 10.7 will offer more features.

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
That's funny. For me SL is the first update I have not purchased immediately. I guess I just got fed up with waiting for the rest of the OSX ecosystem to catch up. ie: I can't be bothered to again discover that various programs around my system suddenly don't work and I have to wait for updates.

Also I have a question (I know this probably isn't the correct place, sorry).
Will SL run my old PPC Apps? I still use MS office purchased in about 2002/2003 when i was using a powerbook. Does the lack of PPC support in SL mean no more Rosetta to run old apps?

Rosetta is available, although as an optional install.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Also I have a question (I know this probably isn't the correct place, sorry).Will SL run my old PPC Apps? I still use MS office purchased in about 2002/2003 when i was using a powerbook. Does the lack of PPC support in SL mean no more Rosetta to run old apps?

No, the dropping of PPC support has nothing to do with Rosetta. Rosetta is still there as an optional install.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Indeed.

SL is just the right upgrade for the right price. Frankly, I was ready to pay $129 for it. A lot of us were.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
This is great!

Unless you own any Apple stocks, those sell stats will hardly have any impact on your life.

Besides, on a global scale, the OS X market share still is - and will always remain - extremely insignificant.

It will drive the adoption of the new set of technologies even faster! And open-sourcing GCD means that the technology hopefully will find it's way into every application soon.

Maybe. But most of those applications will now run on non-Apple platforms, because what will happen with parts of GCD being under the Apache license is that some folks will port it to Linux, FreeBSD and Windows. And that is where you will see all those GCD-compatible apps...

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
If windows has priced windows 7 the same as snow leopard and without the confusing 4 editions, I'm sure they could do pretty well.

unfrozen.jon

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2007
Canada
$129 wasn't a bad price even for Leopard. You could also say "see what happens when you release 1 OS and not 3-4 versions of the same one?"

The only thing that may slow down SL is that there isn't any buzz from Apple out there on TV about it and what I see online is a lot of 'it's worth it but maybe not right now since not many apps out there can use the features' comments.

I would love to see the next Get a Mac ad with Mac showing off his new pet Snow Leopard. The Snow Leopard could maul the Windows 7 PC character!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Pricing Snow Leopard at @ $29 will make it harder to sell 10.7 at $129.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
I would love to see the next Get a Mac ad with Mac showing off his new pet Snow Leopard. The Snow Leopard could maul the Windows 7 PC character!
If we're going by codenames, that'd be a black comb and a can of vienna sausages then? :p

(Blackcomb and Vienna were the codenames for Windows 7)

cb31

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2005
No matter what, Apple OS is a whole lot cheaper when compared to Windows XP or Vista.

I would rather pay for OSX than Windows.
Let's not exaggerate, we all know that Snow leopard and maybe even Leopard would be free service packs in the windows world.

Still at £25 I upgraded both my machines because it was so cheap. Lets hope the next incarceration of OS X is also cheap, although I doubt it.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
But you have to buy a more expensive, special hardware to run it. So Apple got you on that... ;)

...you missed out 'prettier and possibly more reliable' :)

for my opinion - I paid £39 for the Family pack upgrade and yes - much much cheaper to re-OS several macs in the family than several Windows machines (and dont need to chase upgrades so often)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.