Early Speculation: iPhone 5 due in June 2012... thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by James Godfrey, Nov 29, 2011.

1. James Godfrey macrumors regular

Hi all,

I currently own the iPhone 4, and I am just wondering what everyones thoughts are about the iPhone 5 coming out in June 2012? There seems to be alot of websites reporting this....

I know obviously these are all rumours, and nothing is official until Apple announces it.

BUT...

In April 2012, I will be due my upgrade, now I wouldnt say in my honest opinion that the iPhone 4S is worth a two year contract for, due to the fact that on the face of it, the only upgrades are an 8MP Camera (which im not a big fan of taking photo's anyway) and Siri, which I think after the novelty has worn off I wont actually use, and so the 2 year contract seems a bit pointless with the 4S :-(

Now, obviously almost everyone would like to have the most recent iPhone etc... Im the same, however, should I wait for the WWDC 2012 to see if Apple might announce the iPhone 5 (or 6) whichever it may be called?

I feel that Apple will most likely release the iPhone 5 around June/July next year, as they will want to get back on track with there standard June/July release date, on top of this, with the iPhone 4S having no 4G capability, if they did leave it 12 months like alot of people think that they will, I feel that the iPhone will seriously be trailing behind alot fo other handsets out there.

What are your thoughts?

Was the iPhone 5 (or 6) originally planned for this year, but due to technical problems they were unable to release it, and so just released the iPhone 4S instead (as a sort of back-up plan)?

Thanks

James

2. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

4S was no backup plan. They have never had a complete redesign each year. They had the 3G then the 3GS and then the 4 and now the 4S.

Im sure we will see the 5 in 2012 as well as the 5S in 2013 and so on.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Don't overthink things. Use the same basis for any technology purchase: buy it when you need it. Sounds like that 4S doesn't really bring anything that you "need", so I'm not seeing any reason why you'd buy it.

When the next version comes out, whether its June or October or whatever, evaluate the upgrades and decide if it makes sense.

Whether the 4S was a supposed "backup plan" or a continuance of the 3G/3Gs two-year redesign cycle is irrelevant to deciding whether or not to purchase a 4S. (also, considering the supply chain needed for the production volume, it'd be surprising to see anything but a slight change before release)

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It does not really matter when the 5 comes out. What matters is what the iPhone 5 will be.

Apple really needs to change the device enough to compete with the flood of new hardware from it's competition. Yes Apple has competition!

At the same time Apple risks pissing it's existing users off with changes to big for them to handle. Apple's best bet it to stick with their traditional hardware format and offer a totally different hardware format for those who are looking for more innovation!

5. aeaglex07 macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

TBH iOS is beginning to show its age. The UI needs an overhaul as does the hardware. I think we'll be seeing both in June

6. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

Everything I've read seems to indicate a summer release. My contract is up soon and I'll be holding off until the 5/6 is announced since the 4S does nothing for me. I'm hoping for Summer but am willing to wait until October for an LTE device.

7. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

iPhone5 will be released in October 2012

8. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

everything is speculation up until this point. A case can be made for both June and October. I think we will only know once production starts (or doesn't start) for a potential June release.

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yep.

10. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

With the exception of a few executives at Apple and maybe a few with the carriers... Nobody knows that for a fact.

11. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Since we are just speculating here, it wouldn't completely shock me to see a redesigned form factor iPhone 5 released in the Summer with the 4s being retained as Apple's less expensive alternative/entry level phone.
    Of course, I have no basis in fact for this speculation. It's just that.

12. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

I've read three articles (actually one posted on three sites) this morning suggesting the iphone 5, with 4" screen, is coming March 2012. I'm not saying that's accurate, just pointing out what's been posted on the world wide web today.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Anyone who thinks this needs to answer these questions:

1) Why would Apple want to move away from the holiday buying season? Traditionally the iPhone was a 6-month old device competing with brand-new Android phones during the busiest electronics shopping season. Now that Apple has moved to where their phone is brand new during this time, what reason do they have for giving that up?

2) Given that Apple is having trouble getting enough parts for the 4S, what incentive do they have to move the next model up sooner? What business reason is there for speeding up a new model when you can't even satisfy demand for the current model? Because it would make demand go...up? Since that's not even close to their problem right now, why would they be focused on "fixing" it faster?

14. seanwebb68, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

I know I'm going to shot down for saying this but I asked my mate who is quite high up in apple the same question when I brought my iPhone 4s and he seem to think the next iPhone will be released in October 2012 but even he can't confirm anything till near the time.

So I guess we'll all have to wait and see.

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This. Pondering a spring/summer 2012 upgrade at this point seems fairly pointless IMO.

16. Mr.C macrumors 601

Not going to happen. Next iPhone will be released around September/October next year.

17. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

If Moore's law is correct then I wouldn't even begin to think about the iPhone 5/6 until the A6 processor(quadcore) goes into mass production.

18. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I agree. iPhone's and iPad's make up over half the money Apple makes. There's a reason their release date is six months apart.

19. daveathall, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

Will be released in June/early July to ensure that all those that bought the iPhone 4 two years previously on a two year contract will be offered a shiny new redesigned iPhone 4 as their contract ends. If they don't, a host of Android phones will be released to tempt them away. Apple and Android manufacturers aren't daft.

JMHO.

That doesn't stack up, the original iPad was released in April 2010 while the iPhone 4 was released in June 2010.
    Two completely different products aimed at two completely different markets, the sale of either would not impact on the sale of the other, no matter when they were released.

20. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Why would Apple go back to a June/July release? There's a reason why Apple has the iPad and iPhone release dates six months apart. The iPhone took over the iPod as the holiday sales. If you break down Apple revenue and profit you will see that the iPhone and iPad make up over 60% of the revenue and profit.

Apple spaced their two most popular products half a year apart because more people can afford to buy and iPad and iPhone six months apart rather than three. Also add into the mix the holiday season.

21. daveathall, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

I explained the reasons above your post. Nothing changes, your reasons don't stack up.

They are two different items, if they were like items you may just have a point.

Holiday season has nothing to do with it, end of contract term has. The iPhone is not a holiday purchase, never has been, never will be.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So you're saying that Apple WAS daft in 2011 by delaying the 4S? (After all, the original 3G owners were coming out of contract in June and there was no new phone for them.)

And despite being daft the fact that 2011 is working out great for them is just some kind of fluke?

So if I understand you: You think Apple made a bad choice this year, and the fact that it went well doesn't mean it was a good choice...it means they got lucky that the bad thing went opposite for no reason.

23. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

I have never said such a thing. Read my post.

You obviously think that the iPhone is a holiday purchase and the same product group as an iPad.

See, I can twist words.

24. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

They are alike as much as they are different. So he has a point. Also, I think they will keep an October release going into the future. Not everyone is on a 2 year upgrade schedule. Anyone with AT&T and a Family plan, the primary account is a 12 month upgrade. At least everyone I know. Not sure other carriers.

As the two devices begin to share the same hardware it makes since for Apple to stagger their release more to keep up with demand.

People who have an iPhone and like them will wait after their contract expires for the next iPhone. Android isn't going to pull me away. I am sure we will have a good indication of the release just like we did this year. We knew around July that October was the likely time frame.

I was up for an upgrade in June, yet I didn't go to any of the fancy new Droid phones. Because, I like my iPhone and will be staying with them, until they do something stupid.

You did say that Apple will ensure they have a shiny new iPhone ready when peoples contract expires. Yet as the other person mentioned, they didn't have that shiny new iPhone ready this year. So...

25. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I QUOTED your post. Let's read it again:

I read this as meaning:

If Apple doesn't release a new iPhone 2 years after the iPhone 4 came out then consumers coming off their 2 year contract will consider Android phones instead. If Apple does that they're being stupid.

Is that interpretation wrong? You say it is. Since I'm wrong, can you tell me what you really meant?