Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Anandtech managed to get access to some early versions of Intel's Nehalem processors that are due for release in Q4 2008. We've previously described Nehalem which is expected to be a major jump forward from Intel's current Penryn processors. The key new features in Nehalem are Simultaneous multithreading, QuickConnect, and tri-channel DDR3.

Despite only having access to early chips and early motherboards, Anandtech was impressed:
First keep in mind that these performance numbers are early, and they were run on a partly crippled, very early platform. With that preface, the fact that Nehalem is still able to post these 20 - 50% performance gains says only one thing about Intel's tick-tock cadence: they did it.
Anandtech had access to a 2.66GHz Nehalem processor which they pitted against a 2.66GHz Penryn processor. Performance improvements ranged from 20-50% faster for the Nehalem chip. h.264 video encoding was tested and saw a 44% speed boost on Nehalem vs Penryn on the equally clocked processors. They claim that the 2.66GHz Nehalem outpaces the current top-of-the-line 3.2GHz Penryn. The speed increase comes at a cost of only 10% increase in total system power consumption.

Apple will certainly adopt the Nehalem processors after they become available. While the first server-grade Nehalem processors are expected in Q4 of 2008, desktop and laptop models won't be available until sometime in 2009.

Article Link

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
I just HAD to buy the stupid 8-core Mac Pro this year, didn't I ;)

Thankfully, I won't need more than that until 2010 most likely, so I'll just look forward to the Nehalem-based mobile chips for my next MBAir. May even wait till Westmere.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
How interesting that this might come out in January 2009, around the time of 10.6's rumored performance boost.

Can you imaging running that processor and an optimized Snow Leopard? That would be like double the speed of what's out now.

Corbet

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2005
I know this website is primarily for Apple related products but I fully intend to build a new gaming PC when this chip drops. I've been waiting almost a year to upgrade (No games really push the limit of computers except Crysis) and I can't wait.

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
Yep

How interesting that this might come out in January 2009, around the time of 10.6's rumored performance boost.

Can you imaging running that processor and an optimized Snow Leopard? That would be like double the speed of what's out now.

My thoughts exactly. Imagine what Nahlem will ne when it is finally released and :apple: have made an OS designed for all those nifty new things! I'm waiting for Nahlem to do dump my old G4, faithful as she is, to a new IMac and Air.

Let's also hope they figure out a way to bring in SSD to really make some speed improvements.

i make movies

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
I can't wait. I'm on a iBook G4 1.2 Ghz and I've been ready to make the jump to a top of the line 24" iMac for a long time. Just to note, I have not been waiting for this chip, I'm just financially crippled (I'm still on 10.3.9...is that panther?). I'll get one when I can afford it.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Yep - I'm waiting for this one - no matter how cool the case re-design looks like when (if) it comes out this summer.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I know this website is primarily for Apple related products but I fully intend to build a new gaming PC when this chip drops. I've been waiting almost a year to upgrade (No games really push the limit of computers except Crysis) and I can't wait.

Most games don't use the CPU a lot. It's all about graphics. Get and average CPU adn put your money ong the graphics card. I'd go for a single NVidia 8800GTX and get a second one in a year or so if you need to upgrade it.

Ade-iMac-177

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
I need to get me one of those but damn; early 2009, there goes my hope of a Nehalem MBP at WWDC

Nano-tube

Mar 28, 2008
Intel Rocks!

I decided to wait with replacing my Power Mac G5 to a new Mac Pro with the Nehalem processor the moment I heard it will have an IMC.
I read the Ananndtech review carefully and I am happy I had taken the right decision (for me). Combined with the rumored 10.6 that should optimize performance for intel CPUs, blue ray drive, next gen GPU, DDR3 memory and maybe even a nice SSD this baby will just scream!

Bravo Intel!
:D

Nano-tube

Mar 28, 2008
Most games don't use the CPU a lot. It's all about graphics. Get and average CPU adn put your money ong the graphics card. I'd go for a single NVidia 8800GTX and get a second one in a year or so if you need to upgrade it.

Not true bro. I own a games development company and I can tell you that a lot of games are CPU bound. The CPU is absolutely crucial for computer games.
With IMC in the Nehalem it will only improve things as games do a lot of memory operations.
And by the way, a 8800GT will give you the best bang for the buck (from the 8xxx series). I would also consider a nice 9800GT with 512 GDDR3, albeit it's a little more expensive it's the next gen, and next gen is always good. :)

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Is it worth another $1800 for a new laptop just to perhaps double the speed of my HandBrake encodes? Hmm.....

If these things are going to be THAT much faster, I think I'll get my dad to hold out on ditching the G5 until then. Sounds *nifty*.

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
As others have said, Nehalem and Snow Leopard would be absolute screamers in terms of performance. I may have to replace my current MacBook when the new case design and Nehalem come out...

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I swear some people must just spend their entire lives waiting for the 'next update'.

Funny you say that, as I remember you had a thread titled "List: MR Members Waiting To Buy A New MacBook Pro", which had over 2,856 posts, 123,396 views, and was 115 pages. You even kept a huge list of members that spanned over several posts. :rolleyes: I would know, I was there waiting too.

But yeah, I'm happy I waited. On that note, Nehalem sounds freaking awesome. Can't wait!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.