Earthquakes, Colorado and East Coast

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Ugg, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Anybody think they are related somehow? It seems like a huge distance to be connected, but I'm not a geologist either.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

3. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

I know, I've lived in either Washington, Alaska or California all my adult life. It just seems odd that it's been a few decades since CO or the East Coast have had such big ones and then bang! Back to back quakes.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

yeah. it's just coincidence though. these things happen all the time, just coincidence that you got two 5+ within hours of each other.

doesn't mean the world is ending like some people would want you to believe though.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

6.0 on the East Coast.

Epicenter in Mineral, VA.

Went as south as Georgia, and as north as Toronto, Canada.

I was in North Virginia at the time, my Mac Pro toppled over (It was standing on the floor), monitor fell off the desk, etc. We're probably going to have to buy a new hard drive... Our office building has cracks all over. They aren't allowing anybody inside it due to safety hazards. Probably won't be fixed for months (It's only a small 3 story building).

Cell phone towers were down for a long time. I couldn't get in contact with my mom, but somehow my texts were sending, so I texted my brother, and he couldn't get in contact with my mom either. She's okay though, nothing bad happened to her, just shaken up. Luckily nothing bad really happened in our house. We had a vase that got broken, other than that nothing.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

People said they felt it and they evacuated buildings but I didn't feel a thing.

7. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I heard it was the Tea Party's fault. ;)

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Jeez, I knew they were becoming powerful, but this is ridiculous!!!! :eek:

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I didn't feel anything in my neck of the woods.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

But they're American bricks!!!

And the post-it? Priceless. :p

12. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

lol funny.

I know you guys will love this Matthew 24:7,8. It shouldn't be a surprise. But the last 2 quakes have been a bit of a shocker for me too. I live in Denver and have Family on the east coast. Yikes:eek:

13. rovex macrumors 65816

Ominous signs leading up to 2012 - the beginning of the end for this world! :eek:

14. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I felt it here in Connecticut. I thought it was one of my coworkers clomping around the office unusually hard, until it felt like my desk and chair were both moving separate directions! :p

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

16. Funkbefgh macrumors newbie

earthquakes happen because of the constant movement of the Earth's tectonic plates. when the tectonic plates shift far enough that the friction between them keeping everything in place cannot hold any longer the land on either side of the fault gives way.. that's why Japan moved a foot closer to the US during that horrible mess. with all the shaking going on I'd suspect these two are more related than you give them credit for.. but not for any apocalyptic reasons.. it's just physics.

17. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

The yogurt cup yes, the broken bricks that fell on the sidewalk, not so much. Any falling debris can be extremely dangerous and making fun of falling bricks is really juvenile.

18. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I think it is just a coincidence

19. dime21 macrumors 6502

It was expected: N. American plate shifting under the weight of the federal government. I'm just glad it didn't disrupt Obama's golfing schedule.

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

LOL
    this almost made me spit out my tea.

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I had always heard that here in Colorado, we have several earthquakes a year but they were so small, they were never felt. Even today, according to the map, there was another one, 3.2 or so. These were mostly in Southern Colorado so we never felt anything here in Denver. There have been earthquakes here in Denver however.

I don't think it says anything weird may be going on.

22. KOZOK macrumors member

And just look at that sig line.. people like that make me ashamed that they're Americans.