Easiest AEBS share -> Time machine fix yet

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mindflux, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Open terminal:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

Sorry if this one has been covered.

I did this, relaunched time machine and BLAM. My AEBSn share was there.

2. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Nice little find.. Ive tried it too and even though I dont have an AEBS, My NAS drives are now showing. I havent tried using one yet because it has data on and I dont want it to just delete all my files!!

3. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I tried it and it still wouldn't see my readynas drives.

I ended up doing the workaround (I had an external drive available) and copied over the two files to my NAS. Time Machine immediately lit up the NAS drive. I have a backup going now (over wireless G)... This should take a while :)

4. cmaier macrumors G3

Which protocols did you turn on for the share? (i have two readynas's but haven't tried it yet)

5. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

Nothings that simple, surely...? Not that I'm complaining however :rolleyes:

6. Mindflux thread starter macrumors 68000

Mindflux

It works for USB AEBS shares just fine. According to posts above, not so lucky for NAS users.

7. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

Well then at the rate my current Time Machine backup is going I'll be ready to try it sometime in February. ;)

8. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Sorry, I mounted the share using AFP.

9. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

This seems to work for SMB shares as well! I am backing up to a drive on a Windows machine as we speak! I'm not sure how well it will work, though. It's going rather slow (still on 'Preparing'), but the disk image on the other end is definitely filling up.

10. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

NICE! Worked perfectly with my 1.5TB ReadyNAS NV

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

You guys said backing up works, but does Time Machine itself work? (When you invoke Time Machine, can you actually use it to go back in time?) Because in my case, it backs up, but when I call up Time Machine, there's nothing before the present. In other words, the only way to retrieve old files is to go into the file structure and fetch them yourself. No fancy Time Machine interface.

See my thread (that no one replied to :p) here.

12. Mindflux thread starter macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Yes. Since I did the trick I posted above I've had hourly backups. I can open time machine and 'go through time' to find what I want.

13. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Maybe you need to invoke the command in the OP in order for the Time Machine app to recognize it? I'm not sure if mine works, because it is still backing up.

14. pitt1717 macrumors 6502

i cant believe its that easy!!! i made a backup to a windows share and then another to a linux share. im also able to use the TM interface as advertised.

i even confirmed it worked by makeing a folder, took a back up...deleted it, took another back up then restored from the backup with the folder.

thanks all!!!

15. IChing macrumors regular

Thank you so much

I'm going to try it on my Fantom drive right now

16. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Whoa, I did that, and now it works perfectly, Time Machine interface and all!

Wirelessly!

THIS is technology, folks! To why Apple disabled this, I am dumbfounded.

17. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Might have something to do with the copying large files issue that just popped up on page 1.

Dropping that network connection could be a bummer! LOL

18. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, well, you can accidently unplug the USB cable too. **** happens.

But the thing is, I noticed that with the drive connected to the Mac directly, Time Machine saves the backups directly to the drive. But over the network, Time Machine saves to a .sparsebundle file. Maybe that's why?

When Time Machine did it's first BIG backup, it didn't eject the .sparsebundle image. Which could be dangerous. But when it did the second backup, it did eject the .sparsebundle image. Maybe that's the bug Apple is worried about?

19. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

It does that because most network file sharing protocols don't support some of the filesystem things that a normal hard drive would. So, it makes an image and formats that so that it can do such things correctly.

Plus, it doesn't steal the entire hard disk!

Also, I don't think the bug that is in the news will affect this, because that has to do with MOVING files across volumes, rather than copying. By default, Mac OS will COPY files if they are being placed on another volume.

20. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Interesting information.

Then I have absolutely no clue why Apple disabled this. It's been working great for me so far. Makes me wonder if Apple is planning to release a Apple TV - Mac mini - AirPort Express super-ultra-hybrid thingie and plans to tout Time Machine hosting as a feature.

21. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

For a feature like Time Machine, "worked for me" isn't good enough to allow shipping. "Works so well that nobody will lose their data, ever, and sue us" is much harder to achieve.

22. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Oh well, guess I'll take the risk and use this hack. Not like I routinely delete important files anyhow... ;)

23. pitt1717 macrumors 6502

@gnasher
    while this is a workaround, i dont think apple could ever say its not 100% foolproof from loss of data even if it was implemented. while its working for some who have tried there can be various reasons why they did not ship with it enabled (compression tweaks not ready etc).
    tm is good for certain things but its not the end all be all of backup. i am using tm just to make sure i have a tertiary spot for my pictures, profile and soon my music. that all. it is not my primary backup solution. and really shouldnt be as discussed in another thread in this forum.

24. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Well, well. Whaddaya know. My sparsebundle file somehow got corrupt and unusable.

Guess I'll do without Time Machine for now.

25. Mindflux thread starter macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Sounds like your net connection dropped while TM had the sparsebundle open. (probably the reason AEBS time machine backups aren't supported).