Easiest way to get a 2010 mbp 13" replaced

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Olivier81, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Olivier81 macrumors member

Hi,
    I have one of these that I bought recently but a not happy with the machine it doesn't seem as fast as the ones in the store and the battery doesn't seem that great. If i take it into a genius store place what can i say to get a replacement also the case is discolouring a bit and getting blemishes even though its aluminium? Or even a new battery can i just complain about the current battery? thanks

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Just return it and buy it again in a week or so (preferably from Apple's website).

For battery capacity, you can check the percentage using Coconut battery.

3. Olivier81 thread starter macrumors member

haha i bought it second hand on ebay so i don't have the receipt

4. KirkL macrumors 6502

I think you can only return products bought directly from Apple. Does the Laptop have AppleCare?

5. Olivier81 thread starter macrumors member

sorry i don't really want to return it i want to get it replaced really for a new one or a refurbished one if they do that for their laptops or a new battery. It only came out about 3 months ago so it does have aplecare and is within its year warranty.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I doubt you will get it replaced. If you think it has problems, such as its slow, or discoloured, you can go to the genius bar at Apple and they should hook you up provided there is no physical damage, its not reported stolen (they'll confiscate your laptop!) and it has AppleCare (whether its limited 1 year, or extended 3 year)

7. Olivier81 thread starter macrumors member

at first you say i doubt you will get it replaced then you say go to the genius bar and they will 'hook you up' meaning if i go there and explain that i am very unhappy about the discolouration and the performance they will give me a new one (or a refurb in a brown box im not sure what they give) thans

8. KirkL macrumors 6502

Then it's worth a shot taking it to the Apple Store, but like worldoflife said they would confiscate it if it's reported stolen.

They'll probably tell you what's wrong with it and offer to repair it (since it's already within the warranty period) and do it (presumably for free).

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

:rolleyes:

No, you are saying "replace" which means they will give you a new machine or a refurb.

I'm saying that they will hook you up as in "pay for the repairs" and not give you a whole new/refurb machine.

10. Olivier81 thread starter macrumors member

ok i see so if i just say the battery is well below expectation are there chances of me getting a new one fitted? And why do all you guys think its stolen because i bought it on ebay?
    thanks

11. KirkL macrumors 6502

Why are you so obsessed with getting it replaced? You bought a Used one on Ebay for a low price and now you want Apple to replace it with a new one free of charge? :rolleyes: Since it's within warranty, they'll probably repair any issues.

Ya stolen Macbooks often end up on eBay.

12. Olivier81 thread starter macrumors member

13. Olivier81 thread starter macrumors member

14. KirkL macrumors 6502

Wait, did you plan it like this :confused:. I mean did you plan to buy a used Macbook off of eBay still within the Warranty period and get it replaced by a new one? Unless yours has significant issues, you don't have much of a shot.

15. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

The discoloration is probably just some sweat and dirt. This just happens. Clean it and it looks like new. What do you expect the battery to last? 10h while on 100% brightness and gaming?

16. Olivier81 thread starter macrumors member

yeh i guess i just figured i could take it to the store say i didn't like the discolouration and they'd give me a refurb one or whatever

17. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Well you bought it on ebay. Who knows what its been through? They probably took out the original apple battery and put some cheap one in there. They probably took out the good hard drive and dumped some defective one.

You chose to buy on ebay, now you shouldn't come and cry about it.

But Apple will be more than willing to hear your crying. Take it to the store and tell them what your problems are. I am sure if it is only 3 months old, they will fix stuff for you. But as far as replacing goes, I don't think they will do it. Something needs to be REALLY wrong with it for them to do that.

Don't try to convert your bad purchase into a good one at the loss of Apple's.

Then don't buy one from ebay.

Then don't buy one.

18. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, thats not generally how it works. I know from experience that Apple will usually only replace a computer completely if you have a recurring issue that has been repaired multiple times. They don't just give out new computers. There is no way that you are going to get that 10 hours of battery life consistently on a used computer unless you just let it sit there. My 2009 13" MBP claims 7 hours I believe, and I honestly have never gotten that. I regularly get 4-5 hours which is completely reasonable. At the most they may replace the battery for you, but I wouldn't expect much more.

As for the speed, when you got the computer and turned it on, did you see the video that comes up on the first boot after a clean installation? It looks like this. (Youtube) If not, there may be things installed that are slowing it down. If you got the restore cds with the computer, put them in and get yourself a fresh install (MAKE SURE YOUR DATA IS BACKED UP ELSEWHERE).

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You can't try to beat the system.

We're just saying to make sure that its not stolen because then Apple will confiscate it.

Download Coconut battery to see the battery health. If you are under 1000 charge cycles and under 80% health, then they will give you a new battery.

They probably wont change the exterior. You just need to clean it. I don't really think that aluminum discolors.

Check the warranty status too.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

20. KirkL macrumors 6502

You're best bet is Apple replacing the battery. If the Hard drive and other contents were tampered with, they might refuse to repair them too.

Even if you had bought from Apple, you only would have had a 2 week period to get it "replaced". Otherwise, I'm sure Apple would have charged a standard restocking fee.

Unless your MBP has major issues and those issues are inherent in it (as opposed to being a result of tampering), they generally won't replace it.

Like others have already said, if the eBay seller stole it Apple is just going to confiscate the MBP.