Easiest way to get a non-contract iPhone 3G (in the UK)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whomadeamark, Jul 8, 2008.

1. whomadeamark macrumors newbie

what the title says! I was gutted when I found out that O2 weren't offering the PAYG option anymore with the iPhone 3G until Christmas. I really want an iPhone 3G sans contract at the cheapest price possible and as soon as possible. but what are the chances?

Also, I am on an 02 contract at the moment, would 02 be able to tell if i but my old SIM card in a new iPhone 3G?

Thank you,
    Mark

2. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I am trying to figure this out too. I don't think there is any way of telling what phone your sim card is in. I was thinking about putting a simplicty sim in it, and upgrading to the £25/month tarriff (with free data bolt on). The only things I was thinking, is buying one from Belgium somehow, as I hear these will be unlocked (but not cheap). Or, wait until some clever person figures out how to unlock it, then buying a pay & go iPhone 3G from another country. However, unlocking may not be possible, and then there is the issue of getting it from another country. One final hope is that O2 make another u-turn, and decide to sell it pay & go. Although, this is wishful thinking. I would say, for now, getting an iPhone 3G without a contract is going to be difficult for the foreseeable future. Shame really.

3. sananda macrumors 68020

i noticed that iphone sends text messages to o2 without telling you.

4. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

i really hope apple see the light at the end of the tunnel in making a SIM free version of the iPhone fully unlocked. it will happen eventually...

the fact that it is coming out on PAYG in my opinion is a huge step to it becoming a sim free handset.

the second stage in my opinion is that all carriers will offer it on PAYG, not just the one or two who propose to do it now...

third stage will be apple will offer unlock upon completion of contract just like germany..

then the last stage is that they will give in and make a SIM free version available..

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

You will not be able to leave an O2, Carphone Warehouse or Apple Store with an iPhone 3G in your hand unless you agree to a new 18 month contract.

The current cost of buying one is £639 (£99 + £30x18).

6. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Im hoping to get mine from someone in the know on eBay!

7. witchdrash macrumors member

Wait until Christmas, buy a PAYG one and use the inevitable Jailbreak/Unlock that will appear for that particular firmware.

8. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

It won't need jailbroken to use on O2 i don't believe. As it would be used on the O2 network, which the payg will be locked to. Also, this is all very well, but not exactly soon. :mad:

9. witchdrash macrumors member

It will almost definitely be locked, but much like other handsets on O2, had a few, it would be network locked so you could stick any other sim card in there, it's a shame they aren't selling them like they used to as I suspect you could have bought any old iPhone and once you had activated it using the Jailbreaking software you could stick any old O2 sim in it, but the fact they wont let them out of the door without a contract makes it pretty hard. Although they are likely to appear on EBay fairly quickly from people who want a contract that the iPhone offers, but think they can make a nice bit of pocket change from selling the handset itself.

There may be an easier way once the phone has come out, but at the moment, short of buying one from another country, for a silly amount of money (more than the PAYG prices that appeared on O2's website a couple of weeks ago) that's the only surefire way I can see.

10. zeasar macrumors regular

zeasar

Since O2 dont like to make money by selling us the PAYG iphone, Im more then happy not to give them my money by jailbreaking and not using their network.:cool:

11. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

im going to get a friend to order it from swiss telecom

its £300ish for the 16GB on paygo and then just wait for the unlock...and sell it

this is to recoup some of my losses over the next 18months on the o2 45/month contract!

12. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

This is what I was saying. But as it will be locked to O2, and this is the network the OP wants to be on, it won't need jailbroken to work as suggested by yourself. It would just need another O2 sim card.

13. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

Someone has said that for the lower tariffs you can activate them via itunes

Does anyone know if this is special and just for pre launch people, or will it continue?

14. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I think it is the case for all tarriffs. Just to complete the process, not the whole process. You still have to sign up to a contract in store, whether is it is the £30, or £75 one. No walking out without a contract this time. Both Apple, and all networks know that didn't work too well for them.

15. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

Is the French handset going to be unlocked?

I am off to Paris on the 19th July, so i didnt know if i could pick one up there?

Thanks

16. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Same situation as me! Would like to know...

17. geeb macrumors regular

$500 for an unlocked 16gb iPhone 3g? With no data? That's crazy talk.

18. frosse macrumors 6502a

Are you joking? Thats as much as a frikkin iPod Touch 16GB...kinda.

19. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

What do we know about the iPhone in Paris so far? Is there any confirmation that it will be unlocked?

Will the phone not be French? :confused:

20. frosse macrumors 6502a

I doubt it will be cheap. I think we're talking about $1200 for 16GB for an unlocked french iphone.

21. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

An anarchist's answer...

The anarchist in me is thinking:

• Turn up on launch day
    • Leave with the top of the range deal which will cost nothing
    • Keep all of the packaging and buy a protective case that covers the whole phone
    • Play with your new iPhone
    • Return the iPhone still in new condition with all of the original packaging for a refund before the 14 day cooling off period ends

Keep this up as many times as possible until O2 refuse to give you another handset. LOI

Realistically you could get away with this twice without problems, but do bear in mind, you will likely get a big bill a few days into your 2nd contract since you cancelled the previous contract. You won't have to pay this though and it actually serves as your get out clause 2nd time round. Example...

I'm returning this iPhone because I got a bill a few days ago which said I owed X amount. The advisor I spoke to was rude and obnoxious and is the main reason I'm returning my phone.

I don't condone this sort of activity, it's for educational use only.

22. barryallott macrumors member

The way to do it

When the iPhonedevteam come out with thier unlock it means the firmware has be put back on, and this firmware will be reset to english so even if you buy a phone from france or anywhere when the firmware is put on it wont know where the hell it is and so be in english. This is the best way. I would wait for ebay to FLOOD with other countries payg iphones then you can unlock them.

If a heafty profit is to be made then it makes sense to do an iFone Cruzzze to the sandy shores or calais to pick some up and bring back.

23. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Cant you just go into the iPhone regional settings and change it to english?

24. MojoWill macrumors 6502

has anyone posted how god damn bored we are of these posts!

accept defeat cheap ass people and get a contract or head over to www.gsmarena.com and cry over there

25. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Thanks for being so helpful. If we were that bored of this, we wouldn't be posting here.