Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Followed these steps and downloaded the .js file and quite a difference in speed so far already. I also turned off the rich text editing and can now type on the forum without the lag! Thanks for all the suggestions. Really makes my iMac G4 much more useable on the internet and that makes me happy :)

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The workaround is BBCode. If you learn the codes you can format the text as you type.

flyrod

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2015
What's the easiest way to experiment with different firefox setups? Create a new user and switch between users maybe? Or switch out ~/Library/Application\ Support/Firefox/ with different versions?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What's the easiest way to experiment with different firefox setups? Create a new user and switch between users maybe? Or switch out ~/Library/Application\ Support/Firefox/ with different versions?
I totally missed your post, so I'll tell you what I do. I use Firefox profiles.

Create a profiles.ini file (essentially a text file). The least command you want in it is this:
Code:
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=0
This tells Firefox to NOT start with the last profile which will cause it to pop up a profile creation box. You can create new profiles from there.

If you want to use different profiles with different versions you can do that. Just load the appropriate profile for the version you open. Just be careful you don't load a profile for a version of T4Fx you don't intend to use it in.

Here's my profiles.ini file.
Code:
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=0

[Profile0]
Name=No Extensions
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/844wx62u.No Extensions

[Profile1]
Name=No Proxys
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/5i0fhyq1.No Proxys
Default=1

[Profile2]
Name=Testing
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/u9aj3glg.Testing

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Thank you both for taking the time to put this together!

As an immediate improvement, I noticed that scrolling(even on a script-heavy page) no longer pegs all four cores in my Quad like a stock TFF install.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you both for taking the time to put this together!

As an immediate improvement, I noticed that scrolling(even on a script-heavy page) no longer pegs all four cores in my Quad like a stock TFF install.
Awesome! Good to hear!

There are some scrolling tweaks in about:config if you are interested in looking that help a bit too. Just search for "scroll" or "smooth" and look for the combination of the two words. Turn off every instance of smooth scrolling you find.

CPU always takes a slight hit when it comes to smooth scrolling because that takes a small amount of processing power to make it smooth.

For me, I understand the concept of smooth scrolling but I hate it. It always seems artificial to me so I've always turned it off. The upshot has always been decreased CPU processing time.

Reactions: Altemose

SecretSquirrel

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2013
U.K.
Many thanks for compiling all these tweaks into one file. I had worked through each tweak in the about:config tab but for some reason just applying the prefs.js file has worked much better - the browser is definitely quicker than when I applied each tweak manually. The only thing I can think of is that some of Erik's tweaks weren't available in later TFF releases but applying them regardless by swapping the prefs.js file has changed something for the better. Happy days!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Many thanks for compiling all these tweaks into one file. I had worked through each tweak in the about:config tab but for some reason just applying the prefs.js file has worked much better - the browser is definitely quicker than when I applied each tweak manually. The only thing I can think of is that some of Erik's tweaks weren't available in later TFF releases but applying them regardless by swapping the prefs.js file has changed something for the better. Happy days!

The only other possibility I can think of is that I did not include some of eyoungren's tweaks if they were more to do with user preference rather than speed. Perhaps one of them was causing your issue.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
As I mentioned in my tweak/addon thread, there are some tweaks that do not exist in a stock install. They have to be created.

This was true in Firefox 3/Netscape when my quest first started and it's been true all the way up to the latest TenFourFox version. There are very few T4Fx specific tweaks.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Finally got around to trying this out on my eMac, and everything is, dare I say it, a bit snappier! Thank you so much! I've read through the tweaks and addons thread, but considering the almost complete lack of knowledge I have concerning web browsers and coding topics in general, I never wanted to mess around with it, lest I screw up everything entirely forever. :p

Top menubar, under your user name - Preferences - Turn off Rich text Editor.
I would like to do this myself, but I am unsure of what you mean by "under the username". I've looked everywhere in TFF preferences, and see nothing referring to a rich text editor. :confused:

Reactions: eyoungren

WinstonE

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2016
Many thanks for this. While I probably could do the tweaks individually, right now I just don't have time to work through it.

One hiccup: the "Back" button on my browser now will only go back one page. It then greys out. History is still held under the History menu, so I have a workaround. Any thoughts as to what might have caused this? The suggestion I have is to reset TenFourFox and reinstall all my add-ons, but I'd prefer not to do that if there is any easy fix.

Thanks.

- Winston

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Many thanks for this. While I probably could do the tweaks individually, right now I just don't have time to work through it.

One hiccup: the "Back" button on my browser now will only go back one page. It then greys out. History is still held under the History menu, so I have a workaround. Any thoughts as to what might have caused this? The suggestion I have is to reset TenFourFox and reinstall all my add-ons, but I'd prefer not to do that if there is any easy fix.

Thanks.

- Winston
Winston, that's an effect of my tweaks. That particular setting stores two states. The page you are currently on and the page you came from. The reasoning is that doing so saves memory because the browser is not holding more than two pages in memory.

Here is the setting to change that: browser.sessionhistory.max_entries

Go into about:config and find that setting. Double click on the number (should be 2 as that is my setting) and change it to reflect the number of pages back you want to store. I believe the default is 100 (or something like that).

Welcome to MacRumors, by the way! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.