Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WinstonE

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2016
Winston, that's an effect of my tweaks. That particular setting stores two states. The page you are currently on and the page you came from. The reasoning is that doing so saves memory because the browser is not holding more than two pages in memory.

Here is the setting to change that: browser.sessionhistory.max_entries

Go into about:config and find that setting. Double click on the number (should be 2 as that is my setting) and change it to reflect the number of pages back you want to store. I believe the default is 100 (or something like that).

Welcome to MacRumors, by the way! :D

Ah! That makes sense. I really appreciate the detailed response. Do you know if this helps with the memory leaks I seem to get with TenFourFox? I've gotten to where I regularly quit the program to free up memory, then restart it.

Thanks again.

- Winston

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ah! That makes sense. I really appreciate the detailed response. Do you know if this helps with the memory leaks I seem to get with TenFourFox? I've gotten to where I regularly quit the program to free up memory, then restart it.

Thanks again.

- Winston
The tweaks that I detailed and that Altemose has elected to include in the 'Easy Installer' are coming from the perspective of a G4 PowerBook with 2GB ram and a failed cache. All designed to improve speed and minimize ram usage. So, in general, yes it should help.

Some addons have huge memory leaks. AdBlock Plus, Ghostery, AdBlock Edge for instance. One of the reasons I mention BluHell Firewall in my thread. It's light, no leaks and does the job.

LocalLoad places the onus of loading local javascript database files from your computer versus over the network and having the cache disabled forces downloading of content, which minimizes ram usage and disk usage at the cost of increased bandwidth. The idea is that if you have a fast connection you can afford to continually redownload images and such versus impacting ram and hard drive space.

So, when you can, look through the thread.

Glad I could help.

WinstonE

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2016
The tweaks that I detailed and that Altemose has elected to include in the 'Easy Installer' are coming from the perspective of a G4 PowerBook with 2GB ram and a failed cache. All designed to improve speed and minimize ram usage. So, in general, yes it should help.

Some addons have huge memory leaks. AdBlock Plus, Ghostery, AdBlock Edge for instance. One of the reasons I mention BluHell Firewall in my thread. It's light, no leaks and does the job.

LocalLoad places the onus of loading local javascript database files from your computer versus over the network and having the cache disabled forces downloading of content, which minimizes ram usage and disk usage at the cost of increased bandwidth. The idea is that if you have a fast connection you can afford to continually redownload images and such versus impacting ram and hard drive space.

So, when you can, look through the thread.

Glad I could help.

Thanks. I've been using BluHell Firewall for some time, and also have Local Load in place. I've skimmed the thread, but will give it more time when I have a bit more free.

- Winston

Reactions: eyoungren

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba
Over time I've implemented 'some' of the suggestions in this thread along with a few of my own. Recently TenFourFox has been slowing d-o-w-n while it's CPU usage has been increasing. So today I backed up my prefs.js file and replaced it with the one Altemose has linked in post #1 of this thread. Upon starting TenFourFox it was more responsive and CPU usage was lower. Thanks to both of you.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
When web sites have autoplay videos they often drastically slow down my PowerBook. One suggestion on another forum was this:
http://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,1914002,1914035#msg-1914035
"Won't stop everything, but in Firefox [or TenFourFox] goto
about:config -> media.autoplay.enabled -> change to false"

Don't know if this would be a good addition to the list or not. I've just set it and will see how it works.
This is one of those tradeoffs @Altemose has made. The setting you mention is actually the way I have set it in my own preferences file (although I don't recall if I mentioned it or not in my thread).

Good mention!

Reactions: Altemose

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Three years since the last post, I'm a little to the party but I had to share that this tweak has made a tremendous difference to using TFF on a G3. What was once almost an ordeal is an absolute joy. Thanks! :D

Reactions: AphoticD

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Three years since the last post, I'm a little to the party but I had to share that this tweak has made a tremendous difference to using TFF on a G3. What was once almost an ordeal is an absolute joy. Thanks! :D
Do you mean the alterations in general or one specific tweak?

The main thread by the way is stickied at the top of the PowerPC forums here. Here is a direct link: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/my-tenfourfox-about-config-tweaks-and-my-addons.1838393/

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Do you mean the alterations in general or one specific tweak?

The alterations in general. Beforehand, on my G3, TFF was simply unusable. On one occasion I waited around 10 minutes for a site to fully load: it was faster to copy over downloaded files from another Mac. With these tweaks, I no longer need to do that. :)

Thanks for the link, I've added it to my watched threads.

Reactions: eyoungren and z970

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The alterations in general. Beforehand, on my G3, TFF was simply unusable. On one occasion I waited around 10 minutes for a site to fully load: it was faster to copy over downloaded files from another Mac. With these tweaks, I no longer need to do that. :)

Thanks for the link, I've added it to my watched threads.
Happy to hear it's helped.

Note that because this is essentially 'Firefox' you can apply these changes or use the same prefs file with any Firefox browser on any platform. It'll work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.