Eating Eggs is worse than smoking?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Frisco, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

I heard a report on the news that said eating an egg a day is worse for you than smoking? Is this true? I hope not because I enjoy both.

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Well that just means you will expire twice as fast.

Eggs every day is not a good thing due to the cholesterol they contain and smoking, well you know. My father was a big egg eater for years and it finally caught up with him when he went for some blood test and his cholesterol was through the roof. So yeah, eggs every day, which is what my dad was doing, is not a healthy appetite to have.

Smoking for you is not even an issue of how unhealthy it is and yes I am a very casual smoker at a pack a week. But am not a big egg eater. Maybe once a month. So I will die a slower death.

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I have seen two schools of though on the egg issue. The first says it is bad for you with too much cholesterol. The second says they are good for you and it is good LDL cholesterol. Of course if you fry your eggs there is probably more of a problem with what you fry them in than the actual egg.

Toss a coin and take your pick. It is relatively easy to find both opinions with a google search.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I eat my eggs everyday with bacon to counter the bad effects of the egg.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Granting the cholesterol is not a good thing, a source might give us sufficient information to evaluate the the veracity of the assertion.

As it stands...without access to some source material, it sounds like an absurd exaggeration.

Absent more information, the speculation is less than speculation.:)

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

If only we had some kind of machine that could help us find information quickly. A powerful "engine" of sorts, that we could use to "search".

Oh well, maybe someday in the future...

Anyhoo, according to this Time article from 2012, Are Eggs and Smoking Equally Bad for Your Heart?, the source is a study by researchers at Western University in Canada, entitled Egg yolk consumption and carotid plaque.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yay for sample size of 1 in your incredibly detailed study.

Dietary cholesterol != blood cholesterol. Has an insignificant effect.

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

A terrific idea! And maybe it could be called "Find It', or "Shmoogle", "Firerabbit" or something.

Having read the primary source provided by the poster (using that Find It thing), the conclusion has some important qualifications, and the data relied on self report...not a particularly reliable source.

Having said that...I certainly would not question that limiting egg intake to 2 or less eggs per week is advisable.

(Emaphasis added)

Source

9. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Guess I should have stated it was more that one. Was more like several a day. Just repeating what physician stated at that time. Do you have a detailed study that I could use in the future? This way I will be as informed as you are.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Another year, another study that shows us eggs are good/bad/good/bad/good/bad for us.

12. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

A curse upon you for critically reading primary source material, conveying that information here, and downright raining on our parade!:mad:

14. Renzatic, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    One interesting thing that I've heard, and unfortunately can't find a single link to back up my claim, is that eggs tend to suppress your appetite a bit. People who eat an egg in the morning tend to eat less throughout the rest of the day.

The theory being that eggs are so loaded with proteins, vitamins, cholesterol, and the rest, that just one will give you a goodly portion of your daily dietary needs. You'll still need to eat something besides one egg per day, of course, but you won't have to consume quite as much as you otherwise would.

To sum it up, eggs won't kill you, in fact they can be quite good for you, just make sure you eat them in moderation.

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Mr Buzzkill, here!:p

I would suggest that there are a number of foods one could eat for breakfast that would have the same effect. Eggs, in small quantities (2 or less per week, according to the cited study), are among them.

And eating everything in moderation, as you point out, is good advice. There are no bad foods...only bad amounts.:)

16. chabig macrumors 68040

In my opinion there is no such thing as a casual smoker. You either smoke or you don't.

17. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I must question that assertion.

Although any smoking at all has negative health potential , smoking a pack a day is worse than a pack a week.

I'm not suggesting that a pack a week is without harm or risk, because it is. The level of risk is effected by many factors...genetic, developmental, and environmental. Holding those factors constant...the amount smoked does make a difference.

18. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

No, no, no, my friend. Stop it! Binary categorization is the life-blood of the internet.

Pish!:mad::mad::mad:

19. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Agreed.

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't worry, counter the egg a day with cholesterol lowering drugs.

Big med says only about a 1/3 of the nation would greatly benefit from being on the drugs -- even if it doesn't lower their cholesterol. :rolleyes:

Or just wait until the egg grows up, toss it in some flour and deep fry it.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Smoking is worse than many foods.

23. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

Eggs carry no negative health consequences when consumed raw.

24. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

smoking eggs for breakfast every day does sound rather dangerous.

there might be merit in the claim. beware!

25. SandPebble macrumors regular

Oh, fiddle faddle. You take a risk of getting out of bed each morning.

I will eat my 2 or 3 or 4 eggs a week and enjoy life.