EBay + iphone 3G = Problems? experienced ebay users advice needed!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by preguntonontrac, Jul 24, 2008.

1. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Hello everyone,

I am interested on buying an iphone 3g, in my country (Puerto Rico) wont be available so i got some questions.

Probably ill buy from one of those sellers who sell it sealed, but i am worried about all problems that has been reported in this forums, about dust under screen, loose buttons, build problems, out of the box scratch etc.

-What is the probability of getting one with this build problems?

-If i got one with problems what i can do since i buy it on ebay?

any other thoughts you want to add

Note: here we dont have an apple store...

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Well you dont really have any kind of insurance with eBay, and I don't know what Apple's policy is on supporting warranty claims on an iPhone from an unsupported country.

But more importantly, how are you planning on unlocking it for your cell network?

3. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

We have ATT here and i asked they dont brign the iphonee hre but they can activate it here or there is a unlock software already out. Remember most sealed white iphone come form Australia where is unlocked..

Still lets not get out of the main topic. searching for more answers!

4. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Chances are the phone will be fine, but ask the seller what his policy is for defective items. Answers will vary from seller to seller

5. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks seems a good idea, still looking for another point of view.

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I agree. Just buy from a seller with alot of positive feedback and make sure the listing has a return policy and you'll be fine.

7. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

what an honor the guy who started the box ebay selling thread xD

But seriously if i buy and it has problems what are the procedures with ebay or pay pal so i can make sure to return it?

8. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Like we've both said: if you buy a product (new especially) and open it to find a minor defect, only the seller can help you.

PayPal or eBay will only step in if you recieved a product that is grossly different than the one advertised, or if you don't recieve a product at all. They can't deal with every person's complaint. I mean physically, there aren't enough employees. They only act as the middleman.

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I feel like a celebrity :cool:

Well if you have a problem with the iphone, your first point of contact would be the seller. If he has a return policy listed and he refuses to refund your money, report it to paypal. They'll make sure you get your money back (assuming you return the phone to the seller).

10. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I have had pretty good luck with eBay sellers thus far. Most people are pretty understanding if there really is an issue

11. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

You do know that unlocking 3G is NOT currently possible...

12. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks nomar

What about if i ask him before like:

I have heard many complains about the following issues if i opened and has some minor issues will you refund the money?

or it might make the seller dont trust me or something?

13. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

14. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

It is...

15. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

It's a territory...similar to how MacRumors refer to HK as a country before.

16. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Who cares what the seller thinks? If he wants your business he will work it out with you. If not, hit up another of the billion iphone sellers on ebay lol

17. carence23 macrumors member

carence23

Hello everyone,

I am interested on buying an iphone 3g, in my country (Puerto Rico) wont be available so i got some questions.

Probably ill buy from one of those sellers who sell it sealed, but i am worried about all problems that has been reported in this forums, about dust under screen, loose buttons, build problems, out of the box scratch etc.

-What is the probability of getting one with this build problems?

-If i got one with problems what i can do since i buy it on ebay?

any other thoughts you want to add

Note: here we dont have an apple store..

My suggestion would be to buy only from someone with either a 100% feedback rating or someone who has sold an iPhone before because you would then be able to see the feedback on the purchase.

18. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Welcome to the forums! The quote button at the bottom right of each post will allow you to quote the whole post without copy and pasting :)

19. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

Focus on this now :p

20. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

From Post #16. My opinion hasn't changed yet lol.

Just ask the seller whatever you want. If they think you're picky, then move on to another iphone auction. There are tons for sale and every seller will probably give you a different answer. Just ask them.

21. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I also live in Puero Rico and as the person mentioned before it is not a country, it belongs to the United States as a territory. It will never be independant and hopefully will be a state one day. That is if the population would get their act together and learn English. Sad how long ago the U.S. came in and set free Puerto Rican's from horrible Spanish oppression yet most Puerto Rican's still identify themselves as a Spanish. This island is very beautiful, fairly corrupt, and needs to have state and enforced federal laws badly. If you have never lived outside the continental U.S. then you will not understand. There is a reason why more then twice as many Puerto Rican's love outside of Puerto Rico compared to inside...

On the other note... We have AT&T here and the 3G coverage is fairly good close to metro area's. Just no Apple stores and no iPhone. Though I have had mine for over a year now and picking up my 3G next week. So no need to unlock.

22. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

If you live here you must know we are a colony and that does not mean we are not a country. look for the definition on internet of colony. Also if you followed our situation on the iphone by apple we are latin americans, so on iphone matter we still a country...

In wikipedia i found this:

"In political geography and international politics, a country is a political division of a geographical entity. Frequently, a sovereign territory, the term is most commonly associated with the notions of both state and nation, and also with government.

In common usage, the term is used casually in the sense of both nations and states. Definitions may vary. It is sometimes used to refer to both states and some other political entities,[1] while in some occasions it refers only to states.[2] It is not uncommon for general information or statistical publications to adopt the wider definition for purposes such as illustration and comparison.[3]

There are non-sovereign territories (subnational entities, another form of political division or administrative division within a larger nation-state) which constitute cohesive geographical entities, some of which are former states, but which are not presently sovereign states. Some are commonly designated as countries (e.g. England, Scotland and Wales), while others are not (e.g., Cornwall, Brittany and Texas). The degree of autonomy and local government varies widely. Some are possessions of states, as several states have overseas dependencies (e.g., the British Virgin Islands, Netherlands Antilles, and American Samoa), with territory and citizenry separate from their own. Such dependent territories are sometimes listed together with states on lists of countries.[3]"

and here a list of countries

23. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Yeah man again your playing on words and not coming to terms with reality. It sounds like you an independent. Nothing wrong with that but a total disconnect that PR gets 19 billion in aid from the U.S. Per year. PR would collapse without U.S. aid.

Go ahead and call PR a country if you want but the reality is it belongs to the country of the United Sates. Does not have its own postal system or currency and its citizens are also United States citizens.

24. Mattwood macrumors member

Mattwood

I would be worried about the user not paying their bill and the IMEI being blacklisted, but if you are buying from abroad, the IMEI wont be blacklisted on your contries network so you'll be fine :)

25. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

Man you just sound like a US licker on here, man since the war US aid has been dropped almost to none. Also most countries has depts with the USA and they still a country. We have our own system and constitution, is true the federal law rules over some things but that does not mean we are not a country. Anyway go to the country act form 1991 and it says we are a country no matter what stick to the facts we are a country and that is all. Please not to be mean but stop being an USa a** licker and for once in your life we need to stop being so lame and stop receiving help form USa. Since i was born i have studied on my own without federal aid and now i am professional living my life and my things from my own work, stop saying we get help is not my fault there is alot of people doing nothing and receiving help but thanks to god 71% of 21+ yealrs old people work for their things.