Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

preguntonontrac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
I would be worried about the user not paying their bill and the IMEI being blacklisted, but if you are buying from abroad, the IMEI wont be blacklisted on your contries network so you'll be fine :)

Wow thanks did not know that, also unlocking it is always an option.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Man you just sound like a US licker on here, man since the war US aid has been dropped almost to none. Also most countries has depts with the USA and they still a country. We have our own system and constitution, is true the federal law rules over some things but that does not mean we are not a country. Anyway go to the country act form 1991 and it says we are a country no matter what stick to the facts we are a country and that is all. Please not to be mean but stop being an USa a** licker and for once in your life we need to stop being so lame and stop receiving help form USa. Since i was born i have studied on my own without federal aid and now i am professional living my life and my things from my own work, stop saying we get help is not my fault there is alot of people doing nothing and receiving help but thanks to god 71% of 21+ yealrs old people work for their things.

Wrong. Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth of the United States. Citizens of Puerto Rico are subject to US law. The President of the USA is the chief of state for Puerto Rico. Federal Law applies in Puerto Rico. It's pretty much a really big Indian reservation.

The US controls interstate trade, foreign relations and commerce, customs administration, control of air, land and sea, immigration and emigration, nationality and citizenship, currency, maritime laws, military service, military bases, army, navy and air force, declaration of war, constitutionality of laws, jurisdictions and legal procedures, treaties, radio and television communications, agriculture, mining and minerals, highways, postal system and Social Security.

You can pretend to be your own country all you want, but you're just wrong. Puerto Rico does not have the right to declare its independence from the US. When given the chance, Puerto Ricans have always voted to maintain their status as a Commonwealth, opting to try for neither statehood nor independence, but the status quo.

I'm with you, though. The US should cut PR off and let them devolve into the Third World country they deserve to be. Haiti and the Dominican Republic can't have all the fun, can they?

Oh, and good luck with getting an iPhone. It's a great device.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Wrong. Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth of the United States. Citizens of Puerto Rico are subject to US law. The President of the USA is the chief of state for Puerto Rico. Federal Law applies in Puerto Rico. It's pretty much a really big Indian reservation.

The US controls interstate trade, foreign relations and commerce, customs administration, control of air, land and sea, immigration and emigration, nationality and citizenship, currency, maritime laws, military service, military bases, army, navy and air force, declaration of war, constitutionality of laws, jurisdictions and legal procedures, treaties, radio and television communications, agriculture, mining and minerals, highways, postal system and Social Security.

You can pretend to be your own country all you want, but you're just wrong. Puerto Rico does not have the right to declare its independence from the US. When given the chance, Puerto Ricans have always voted to maintain their status as a Commonwealth, opting to try for neither statehood nor independence, but the status quo.

I'm with you, though. The US should cut PR off and let them devolve into the Third World country they deserve to be. Haiti and the Dominican Republic can't have all the fun, can they?

LOL now now, don't go that far. I live here and the last thing I want is to live in a 3rd world country. Puerto Rico is actually an incredibly beautiful island, it has been growing for quite some time and will continue to grow. I really hope the island prospers and becomes a state as well as paying federal taxes.

Now as far as your very immature comments preguntonontrac let us just leave it at that. Once someone needs to use cuss words to make themselves feel better the maturity level drops significantly. The best thing that ever happened to PR is the U.S. and unfortunately there are quite a few that do not want to come to terms with this.

The independent party here is a tiny minority and totally disconnected with reality. In this I mean absolutely no understanding of what would really take place if the U.S. pulled out and left PR to fend for itself. It would be a disaster.

The commonwealth status sucks. I really wish the President would make Puerto Rican's decide one way or the other and start on the track of governmental reform. We all know the vast majority would vote for statehood over independence.

As I mentioned before the government here is a joke. You could compare the amount of corruption to Mexico and nothing gets done. U.S. aid is stolen left and right. Salaries are in general way below the U.S. average and unemployment is high. There is a huge gap between the rich and poor not to mention with such a huge lack of quality jobs often employers want you to have a masters degree to be secretary making 1,500.00 a month. The biggest joke in the world. Thank God I am self employed and earn my income from the country that owns Puerto Rico...

Finally, I'm not going to argue anymore preguntonontrac, God bless you and I hope you forgive me if I offended you. Just trying to make my home a little better one American step at a time.

preguntonontrac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
LOL now now, don't go that far. I live here and the last thing I want is to live in a 3rd world country. Puerto Rico is actually an incredibly beautiful island, it has been growing for quite some time and will continue to grow. I really hope the island prospers and becomes a state as well as paying federal taxes.

Now as far as your very immature comments preguntonontrac let us just leave it at that. Once someone needs to use cuss words to make themselves feel better the maturity level drops significantly. The best thing that ever happened to PR is the U.S. and unfortunately there are quite a few that do not want to come to terms with this.

The independent party here is a tiny minority and totally disconnected with reality. In this I mean absolutely no understanding of what would really take place if the U.S. pulled out and left PR to fend for itself. It would be a disaster.

The commonwealth status sucks. I really wish the President would make Puerto Rican's decide one way or the other and start on the track of governmental reform. We all know the vast majority would vote for statehood over independence.

As I mentioned before the government here is a joke. You could compare the amount of corruption to Mexico and nothing gets done. U.S. aid is stolen left and right. Salaries are in general way below the U.S. average and unemployment is high. There is a huge gap between the rich and poor not to mention with such a huge lack of quality jobs often employers want you to have a masters degree to be secretary making 1,500.00 a month. The biggest joke in the world. Thank God I am self employed and earn my income from the country that owns Puerto Rico...

Finally, I'm not going to argue anymore preguntonontrac, God bless you and I hope you forgive me if I offended you. Just trying to make my home a little better one American step at a time.

Even if i dont agree with IgnatiusTheKing i think is a better answer than yours, maybe IgnatiusTheKing and me have different points of view on some things but i think you are on a dream cloud you live here and dont even know how things works and even some points of IgnatiusTheKing are too extremist and kinda "racist" he is more real than you. If you think USA is our salvation you are wrong, IgnatiusTheKing is a reflection of what USA thinks about us.

AND if we fall is because of USA aid that even they control us in some way they make us weak since more people get used to do nothing and dont produce our own things... and not necesarry we fall Cuba is a great example of people who tried and USA block all the commerce with any country... also is in our hand to vote and get our independence... not USA.

AND some extra info was looking at your sign, and man get real GOD is not real, science exist for something i prefer to believe that god was someone from outer space than what the catholic religion believes and i dont support that theory but is more realistic than religion.

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID

Whether right or wrong, this is the most coherent argument yet. He makes his point clearly and logically

preguntonontrac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Whether right or wrong, this is the most coherent argument yet. He makes his point clearly and logically

That is what i was trying to say more clearly i could not put it but i note i dont agree with some points but well everyone have their owns, i just ask for people not to live on a dream cloud like the catholic guy who lives here....

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
That is what i was trying to say more clearly i could not put it but i note i dont agree with some points but well everyone have their owns, i just ask for people not to live on a dream cloud like the catholic guy who lives here....

I know his sig links to something religious, but his post doesn't have anything to do with being catholic or not, so.....

It's kind of ignorant to discount his opinion based on religion

preguntonontrac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
I know his sig links to something religious, but his post doesn't have anything to do with being catholic or not, so.....

It's kind of ignorant to discount his opinion based on religion

Well in the first place this is no topic for our current status situation since he was the one who start it without adding anything according to the thread topic.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
My suggestion would be to buy only from someone with either a 100% feedback rating or someone who has sold an iPhone before because you would then be able to see the feedback on the purchase.

I would say that normally the above is ok advice but for someone honest who may have their very first auction going on ebay, they have to start somewhere. They don't start out with feedback and if people only dealt with someone with feedback, there would soon be limited sellers.

I sold one of my 8GB iPhones today in a three day auction. It was my first item for sale and I had no feedback. The buyer had the funds sent to me within 30 minutes of the auction ending and I had the iPhone shipped 90 minutes later.

All sellers on eBay start off with no feedback the first time. :)

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
I'll say it again, because I can tell you apparently missed this key point.

iPhone 3G is NOT unlockable yet.

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID

I understand this too, but the OP is sure that ATT in PR will activate it for him. He is under the impression that the phone will work legitimatly with ATT, it just isnt sold there yet. Whether this is correct or not, I'm not sure. This is what led to the debate about PR's status as a country lol

preguntonontrac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008

Mmm apparently yo missed the key point of this thread, we are not talking about unlocking it :S

Nomar is right, i am sure about activating here, also i can go to USA and buy it there and they will activate it with my current number but obviously is more expensive. Even if i could not activate it Australia Sellers offer the one unlock able by company there... but that is not the issue.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Mmm apparently yo missed the key point of this thread, we are not talking about unlocking it :S

Nomar is right, i am sure about activating here, also i can go to USA and buy it there and they will activate it with my current number but obviously is more expensive. Even if i could not activate it Australia Sellers offer the one unlock able by company there... but that is not the issue.

Oh ok. I just read the part where he says he can unlock it. Anyhow, you're running the risk of not being able to use the phone in PR, where the phone is not officially being supported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.