Ebay is horrible!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ninety5eclipz, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ninety5eclipz macrumors member

I don't understand why ebay doesn't enforce some kind of standards for buyers. In the past negative feedback could be left for buyers. Today that is not possible. I recently received my first negative feedback in 11 years from a new ebay member. Claimed that an unlocked iphone that I sold her was messed up because the back did not come off for her to put a sim card in. Before I even had a chance to reply she had left me a neg feedback. Since when does the back cover come off an iphone to insert a sim card??? I sent her numerous messeges and no response. I opened a feedback revision request and no response. She had claimed that she had wasted $70 on a sim card and prepaid money card that she could not use. She never asked for a refund, never opened a case against me. Now, there is absolutely nothing I can do except take the hit against me. I'm not losing any sleep over it but I disagree with ebays policys.

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

ebay gives way too much power to the buyers, thats why when i sell i try to make sure its a well reputable buyer, i also recently got my first negative feedback in 6 years claiming there were scratches that weren't pictured though i posted plenty of high quality photos

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

There's got to be some way to appeal bad feedback from a user?!

4. ninety5eclipz thread starter macrumors member

You can appeal it through a feedback revision request but it is completely up to the buyer to revise it or not. They have 10 days to do so or original feedback stays. Ebay doesn't get involved.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hate to say it but that's ebay for you. I've largely avoided ebay at this stage just because sellers have so few rights. While I may not get the most for my phones I've found other avenues to sell them.

6. And macrumors 6502

And

I once got negative feedback a few hours after the auction had ended because the buyer couldn't get paypal to work!

7. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Post your explanation in the rebuttal it will appear below the comment. Most serious buyers, not the lookey loos will read the negative feedback and will see it.

8. ninety5eclipz thread starter macrumors member

That's true but I believe you can only see the rebuttal on the full version of ebay. Seems most people use mobile versions now and you can't see them.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Yes, way too much brown nosing buyers. That's BS not being able to give a negative to a buyer. I used to sell a lot of stuff on ebay. Now, hardly ever, although honestly I've never had a bad experience buying or selling.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'd never sell electronics on ebay--too many air-headed buyers like you describe who don't do their research or even read the descriptions. Then there are the scammers which as a seller you are 100% susceptible to thanks to ebay's awful policies.

11. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Do some digging and see if you can find a phone number to actually call eBay and have a discussion with them about it. You'll have to dig though - I don't think they actually have a dedicated customer service phone number to call them on anymore. I had an account issue a while back and got an email from them with a phone number to call to resolve it. But Googling for "eBay customer support phone number" pretty much yields nothing.

12. ninety5eclipz thread starter macrumors member

Ebay does have a phone number. I actually spoke to them yesterday about something unrelated. They will not help with feedback issues as long as the feedback doesn't break any policies. (Ex: foul language, threatening, etc).

13. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

I had something very similar happen to me. I sold a jailbroken iPhone 4s when I was about to get the new 5. The moron that bought it decided to hook it up to his computer and do a full restore (even though I had restored the phone myself, with the jailbreak in place). Obviously, he had no idea what a jailbreak actually was.

He accused me of fraud because I didn't give him explicit instructions to avoid restoring the phone.

Though I had been on eBay for more than a decade with 100% positive feedback, he left me a scathing review that eBay refused to remove, even though I still had the email he sent about restoring the phone. It's amazing that people can buy something, ruin it with their stupidity, and then accuse the sellers. That's like saying, "you didn't tell me I couldn't run the boat aground!"

Thankfully, the idiot got banned from eBay a few months later, and his feedback dropped off. After that experience, I decided that Craigslist was the way to go for iPhones. I agree that eBay protects buyers waaaay to much. Hell, I just had an auction for more than $1,000 and the buyer decided he didn't want to pay me or respond to emails. Can I leave him negative feedback? Nope! Unbelievable.

14. ninety5eclipz thread starter macrumors member

Ebay is horrible!

Even tho craigslist doesn't charge anything I still make out better with ebay. Even without the fees CL is like an online yard sale. Everyone wants to pay pennies. It's just not worth it. I buy broken/non working iPhones on ebay, flip them and sell them back on ebay. I usually sell them for 4-5 times what I paid for them. My main problem with ebay is the inability to hold buyers accountable. I've had excuses to cancel sales with claims that "my child bid on your item without my consent" to "I changed my mind". And there's nothing I can really do about it except file an unpaid buyer case. It's garbage.

15. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

This is even more complicated with ratings for shipping cost and transit times. That is beyond the control of the seller, unless they are doing some serious mark-ups.