eBay sales woes [RANT]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HoldFastHope, Feb 8, 2008.

1. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

Needed to rant, sorry. Didn't think this really fell into a Marketplace type discussion.

I've been trying to sell my 17" MBP through eBay to replace it with a MB or MBP 15".

I've had to re-list 4 times because scammers kept selecting buy it now and then requesting shipment to Nigeria or some other African country, and to use Western Union and other payment services I didn't trust.

After removing the buy it now option after the 3rd scammer I managed to get ten people watching, however no one bid on it. I later got a msg asking to purchase outside of eBay for HALF the value of a new MBP, keeping in mind mine is just over 6 months old. I won't turn this into a FS type thread but I was asking a fair price for the MBP.

*sigh*

Anyone else think eBay should die in a fire? :)

2. McGiord, Feb 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Maybe try to get the payment via paypal, once you obtain the money you ship.
    I think that scam people will not create a dispute.

Or maybe it will be better for you to use craigslist to deal locally so you avoid the african scams.
    ________
    Chrysler Fifth Avenue specifications

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

eBay is useless. Sell it on Craigslist. Had the same experience with multiple laptops, and decided never to do business with them again.

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I had the same problem when I sold my PSP - it took three 'attempts' before a successful sale.

I've not used eBay since.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I only really sell small ticket items on eBay, but yeah, between the scammers and the knock-off-hawkers, it is getting progressively worse over time.

6. HoldFastHope thread starter macrumors 6502

Glad to see I'm not the only one! I had heard of Craigslist but didn't know they had a local site for Sydney. Going to try this next!

7. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Even so, if the scammer uses a stolen chargecard number to fund the PayPal account, PayPal will take the money away from you regardless of the fact you shipped the goods.

Only ever accept PayPal from a verified member at a verified address.

9. HoldFastHope thread starter macrumors 6502

I've heard also that some scammers use fake emails with a link to "your" paypal account which shows the money being deposited.. some people don't bother double checking.

10. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I've sold everything on Ebay from a $9 cable to a $3,500 camera/lens outfit.

I have bought a lot as well, including a $6,000 motorcycle ( this would have scared me except the seller was local and I got to check out the bike before bidding )

I've never been hurt in a deal, never had anyone try to scam me.

Never used " Buy It Now. "

Never accepted Paypal.

Always have had a 100% Feedback rating.

Craigslist? I sell there as well, and I can tell you this .....

On Craigslist I have met more sellers who tell me this ......

" I am from Michigan, but currently live in Liverpool, England ....... "

I know from experience that is a scam.

I sold my Power Mac on Craigslist .... I was cautious and sold it under specified conditions ....

CASH ONLY
    NO SHIPPING

I had 21 responses to that ad in the first 4 hours, 9 were from people overseas tell me how the deal was gonna be done ( scammers ). Six of the remaining ones were from 'tire kickers'. Five seemed genuine, but one stood out. By the questions she asked, I sensed her sincerity.

She came out and bout it without haggling, of course I advertised it for less than they were selling for on Ebay.

11. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

You should use Require Immediate Payment for all BIN auctions.

Actually you should not use eBay!

Try ecrater.com or ioffer.com or any one of the new fangled auction like sites out there. Let's all move ... :)

12. nikiski macrumors regular

Always use shipping methods with a tracking number. I learned that the hard way. eBay is more protective of the buyer in case of dispute.

ALWAYS get a tracking number. :(

13. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

On the other hand, I recently bought an item from a seller on ebay, 100% feedback rating. 10 days later, the item has not made it from NC to FL, and seller is not responding to email requesting shipping info. Fixing to file a dispute!

14. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

wow, I had no idea it was so troublesome for sellers on ebay. Scammers are everywhere. I wish there was something that could be done to teach them a lesson

15. Macsleuth macrumors member

scammers are everywhere, beware!

I've sold on E-bay and tried selling on craigslist.
    Only interested parties on craigslist were scammers, 3rd party shipping (there shipper), cashiers cheque (big no no).
    And the e-mail was so generic.
    E-bay, had my share of people backing out after winning.
    Getting hard to sell or who to trust when buying.
    Just have to be carefully and do a little homework I guess.
    'G

16. HoldFastHope thread starter macrumors 6502

I've quickly learned to ignore any email using the word "item"

Funny thing is, I've used eBay for years buying and selling guitar equipment, books, cd's, games etc. This is the first time I've ever had this problem.

Apple and other big name hardware attracts alot more scammers than normal I think.

17. gothamm macrumors 6502a

great advice

18. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

OP, I hear you. Ebay is ruined by scammers and ebay doesn't want to do crap about it except charge you the selling fee. Ask them for a credit and they give you the buyer has 30days to pay crap. Go craigslist. I sold my last 3 computers there and it was awesome. NO FEES!

19. gothamm macrumors 6502a

in response to the thread, i have had an over all OK experience with ebay. I sold my 60 gb playstation 3 for $479 with resistance fall of man and a five or so ps2 titles (this was when the ps3 was just released and was $599 new). I think paypal took 30 some odd dollars for their fees. I just deal through craigslist now.

20. HoldFastHope thread starter macrumors 6502

If my buy it now auctions had've been legitimate, I would've had to have paid $80 to sell my MBP on eBay.

I've relisted so many times that I honestly have no idea how much my insertion fees have been and which ones have been credited.

21. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Good luck getting all those fees back. Getting the credit is a freakin nightmare. They make you jump through so many hoops and at certain times too.

Get ready for this message:

"You can't file for a listing fee credit until the buyer responds" or "You can't file for a listing fee credit until you wait 14 days" or "We contacted the buyer and he says he intends to pay so you must wait another 14 days to file again" crapppppppp! Been there and hate it.

22. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Errr... you are kidding, right? I have never seen as many piracy, counterfeit and scam products as I have on ioffer.com... the site has zero credibility in my book. Anyone with a legit product to sell doesn't stand a chance.

23. mistafreeze macrumors member

hey, if you are going to sell on eBay, and some scammer buys your stuff, just report to eBay, they will refund your fee's.

Also, I got tired of deadbeat bidders, I make sure I make it Immediate payment required so they have to buy NOW and pay NOW.

Not buy now, then email 3 days later saying they don't have the money.

I've had to go through so much junk over such small items, it's not funny.

If I wanted to hound people about 10 dollar items, I'd be a drug dealer.

Thats why I require immediate payment.

Also on amazon, you get paid right away. (but you cannot sell a macbook on amazon, unless your pre-approved)

24. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

OMG OMG OMG

Dude,
    The SAME thing just happened to me - I have begun to lost faith in eBay as an ethical place to buy / sell goods. And don't even get me started w/ Paypal. I could fill this entire page w/ horror stories, but I'll keep it short and sweet in regard to my recent macbook sale.

So I put the macbook up for auction - ten day auction, starting at 1 cent, no big deal. Auction ends - i expect to receive payment as usual, etc. Instead, i get ebay messages from the winner in broken english asking if his friend can send me the paypal money and if i mind shipping the computer to his "mum" in Norway. For those of you who don't have a lot of ebay experience FYI, do NOT do this - trust me once you get paid w/ paypal, you can still get it revoked - I have sold things, then 2 months later, paypal takes it away due to buyer chargebacks and even though i have receipts / tracking numbers. In any case, back to the story - so i relist the item. Then it gets bought buy a buyer w/ decent feedback - okay cool. I await payment / messages from him. Oh btw, i offer free shipping if people send a check / money order so i can avoid chargeback risk. Soooooo... then ebay sends me some generic email about how someone got ahold of the buyer's account and blah blah blah auction is canceled. Okay - fine. So I re-list a 3rd time. Finally an ethical person buys. They pay w/ check to get free shipping. I'll ship the computer on monday hoorah.

But in the end, I had to sell something 3 times before I got an ethical buyer - so one out of three? Like i said, I'm really losing faith in eBay/paypal. If an alternative arises, i'm there.

25. macjay macrumors 6502

As others have said, if selling on eBay:

Fixed Price listing only
    Immediate payment required
    Verified Address only