eBay scam warning

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thedavemc, Apr 15, 2014.

1. thedavemc macrumors newbie

Just wanted to let people know of an eBay scam I've fallen foul of.
    I'm sure this stuff happens a lot but it may be useful to know there are scammers currently active and their MO.

Bought a MacBook Pro Retina for £1500 Buy it Now, seller had 100% feedback (891)
    Told item was dispatched by next day delivery, no tracking number
    Asked for tracking number, no response, and (obviously) no MacBook either.

Today (a week later) there are multiple negative feedbacks on the account from others who got done likewise, all MacBook Pro Retina 15s, 2012 & 2013 models.

It will be covered by the eBay money-back guarantee, but still will take a while to come through, meanwhile numb-nuts here has to wait instead of playing with his new toy.

- the seller had not sold tech stuff previously (yeah yeah I know)

2. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Ouch. If you see 100% feedback on nearly 900 transactions there's no way you're going to start investigating what those sales actually were.

You're absolutely certain it's a scam? I mean, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the bloke was knocked down by a car...

3. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

I only buy off Amazon..prices may be a bit higher, but never had any problems..

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Most likely someone whose account password was stolen. So you probably have an honest person doing 900 honest transactions, then someone hijacks the account and starts selling expensive and non-existing items.

5. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Yeah, that's what I thought. Presumably if you've got access to someone's eBay and email account names/passwords, it would be possible to associate the eBay ID with another email account, and trash all the 'security' messages sent to the original account, within a couple of minutes?

6. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

Hope you get it all sorted out!

It's a shame these things happen. Can you share the sellers name?

7. thedavemc thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your kind words guys

Maybe the seller needed money and decided to burn their account - looks like at least £8k in fraudulent sales (based on other people's feedback) could be a lot more - grab the cash, and worry about Paypal collections later.

Hacking on the other hand - Paypal authentication is really heavy, especially to move serious wedge around, so it seems unlikely. I dunno though, there's some ingenious people out there.

No point sharing the username - the account is now showing as 'no longer a registered user'

Tick tock, give me my goddamn toy money back eBay.

8. easytake123 macrumors newbie

don't worry.you can claim for returning money on ebay. where is the seller from ?

9. thedavemc thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a UK seller, I'm also in the UK.

Yeah I paid through PayPal, so it is covered by the eBay money back guarantee. Just really annoying to have to wait to get it back. I've got an urgent video editing job, the main reason I bought it.