Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

eBay to Begin Accepting Apple Pay on iPhone and iPad Later This Year

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

eBay, the popular online marketplace, today announced it will begin accepting Apple Pay as a payment method later this year.

iPhone and iPad users will be able to use Apple Pay to purchase items from sellers participating in the initial phase of the rollout in the United States beginning in the fall, through both eBay's app and mobile website.

Earlier this year, eBay announced it will manage end-to-end payments on its platform, and the introduction of Apple Pay is part of that change. Amsterdam-based Adyen will replace PayPal as eBay's primary payments processor.

eBay plans to continue to expand its payments initiative in 2019, and expects to have transitioned a majority of its customers to the new experience by 2021. Over that time, Apple Pay will expand to more items and regions.

Article Link: eBay to Begin Accepting Apple Pay on iPhone and iPad Later This Year

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
So only some sellers have it? What kinda half-butted crap is that? If eBay is handling the payments, shouldn't all sellers accept it, as eBay is the one paying them?

Looks like it might be related to the fact that Apple Pay isn't available in all the countries that eBay operates in.

Comment

az431

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Pay Pal is a horrible company. So long.
[doublepost=1532439928][/doublepost]
Will this cut down the percentage taken by Apple Pay (like PayPal does) when I sell anything on eBay?

Not likely. Merchants still pay the same fees to Visa, MasterCard, etc.
[doublepost=1532440004][/doublepost]
So only some sellers have it? What kinda half-butted crap is that? If eBay is handling the payments, shouldn't all sellers accept it, as eBay is the one paying them?

iPhone and iPad users will be able to use Apple Pay to purchase items from sellers participating in the initial phase of the rollout in the United States beginning in the fall, through both eBay's app and mobile website.

eBay plans to continue to expand its payments initiative in 2019, and expects to have transitioned a majority of its customers to the new experience by 2021. Over that time, Apple Pay will expand to more items and regions.

Reactions: H818H
Comment

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Pay Pal is a horrible company. So long.
[doublepost=1532439928][/doublepost]

Not likely. Merchants still pay the same fees to Visa, MasterCard, etc.
[doublepost=1532440004][/doublepost]

So it's exactly I said, piecemeal boo sheet. And PayPal has done a-ok by me in the near 20 years I've had an account.

Reactions: ignatius345
Comment

nwcs

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I like it. It won’t change anything for me but it does simplify anything I do on eBay. And it is good for the health of ApplePay for it to be accepted in more places.

Comment

EdT

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
I would have been more excited about EBay specifically if Apple Pay had been around 10 years ago and this was announced. I haven’t been on EBay, even to just look, in a very long time.

But any service that adopts Apple Pay makes the service more popular, which can make even more companies accept it.

Reactions: jw2002
Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Finally. Cant wait to dump PayPal with its crappy shady customer service.

I Never had an issue with Paypal, As I have had over 500 transactions confirmed and and their customer service has always been willing and assistive when required. I think your experience certainly isn’t speaking for everybody else’s, just because you yourself made a negative comment without explanation of _why_ you believe this.

Last edited:
Reactions: H3LL5P4WN
Comment

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I Never had an issue with Paypal, As I have had over 500 transactions confirmed and and their customer service has always been willing and assistive when required. I think your experience certainly isn’t speaking for everybody else’s, just because you yourself made a negative comment without explanation of _why_ you believe this.

Given the amount of negative feedback Paypal has had over the years, there are more than just one person who thinks they are "shady". In the same vein, I think they are just ok and have several issues with them as well with eBay. Doesn't mean I don't use them anymore, but I would be happy to give another pay merchant a go. Have had over 460 plus transactions on eBay alone, let alone transactions on here and other various forums.

For everyone one person who doesn't like them, I am sure you will find one person that has had no issues with them. To flip it, your experience doesn't speak for everyone else's experience either.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Given the amount of negative feedback Paypal has had over the years, there are more than just one person who thinks they are "shady".

Ok? So you’re literally reiterering what the other poster for the sake of semantics? (And yet, with *no* example as to why, just using the term ‘shady’). Of course there is _more_ than one person that can have a differing opinion, but that’s just a generalization that you’re making about “Paypal having more negative feedback over the years”, and its expected to have negative feedback, it happens. I could make the same counter argument that I (And others) have had plenty of positive feedback. The argument goes both ways. I don’t disagree that they don’t have negative feedback, but what you’re saying is broad stroked, period.

I think they are just ok and have several issues with them as well with eBay. Doesn't mean I don't use them anymore, but I would be happy to give another pay merchant a go. Have had over 460 plus transactions on eBay alone, let alone transactions on here and other various forums..

Having options is good, Apple Pay is a plus side. But that specific member I quoted alluded to their customer service was ‘shady and crappy’ thought a single exclamation of why, which doesn’t tell the reader anything of their experience aside from a snark comment. To elaborate further, I always thought PayPal was responsive, fair and thorough with _all_ of my transactions that were disputed, any concerns or for feedback.

To flip it, your experience doesn't speak for everyone else's experience either.

The difference between myself and those who make vague comments, is I can provide literal example after example of over 500 transactions of how everything went smoothly as possible, any company will be open to scrutiny, even Apple has been called ‘shady’, that’s the nature of doing business with any customer base with transactions. PayPal handles millions of transactions on a weekly basis, naturally there will be those who this disparage against them. But I’m willing to believe they have a larger customer base that is appreciative they exist, considering how large of an entity they really are.

Last edited:
Comment

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I can provide examples, literal examples. I also have of over 460 plus transactions on ebay plus hundreds of transactions on other sites. Yet, you can google "I hate paypal" and find hundreds of sites and examples, didn't feel the need to explain myself, didn't know it was required.

I have had many a disputes with them over, you know providing tracking numbers, which I did, before pictures, which I did, and they still decided to go with the buyer. Sorry, that is shady and absolutely b.s. Yet, there are hundreds if not thousands who have had reported the same issue.

There customer service hasn't been very responsive in my experience, their customer service at times has been somewhat rude and condescending, especially when proof was provided to them. Yet, I still have a 100% rating on eBay. I am fully aware they do millions of transactions a day... Doesn't take back how I feel about them or their practices.

Comment

pdaholic

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2011
I sell quite a number of items on eBay. On one recent occasion, a buyer (who purchased a rather expensive item) claimed credit card fraud after he had received my item and after PayPal had funded my account. PayPal froze my account and withdrew all funds in order to cover the cost. I went back and checked the buyer’s feedback and he had apparently done the same to several other sellers. It took 3 angry emails and 2 phone calls for PayPal to refund and release my account. I’d LOVE an alternative to PayPal.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.