Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat With Both HomeKit and Built-In Alexa Now Available to Pre-Order For $249

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 3, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ecobee today announced that its next-generation ecobee4 smart thermostat with built-in Amazon Alexa voice services is now available to pre-order for $249 on its website in the United States. Pre-orders are estimated to start shipping on May 15, the same day it will hit shelves at Lowe's, Home Depot, and Best Buy.

[​IMG]

Like the ecobee3, the ecobee4 continues to support Apple HomeKit, IFTTT, and Samsung's smart home platform SmartThings.

While the ecobee3 also works with Alexa, it can only be controlled by voice using external devices such as the Amazon Echo. The ecobee4, in addition to having a touchscreen and smartphone control, has Alexa built right in with far-field voice technology so that it can hear you from across the room.
    The ecobee4 has a built-in speaker and microphone for Alexa, while its side profile appears to be slightly rounder than the ecobee3. Otherwise, it has identical features and tech specs as the ecobee3.

The ecobee4 comes with a wireless room sensor and supports up to 32 sensors. Ecobee said a companion smart light switch that can measure a room's occupancy and temperature will be released later this year.

The ecobee4, like other smart thermostats, is designed to help homeowners save money by intelligently adjusting the temperature of a home. Room sensors help manage hot and cold spots of a home, and homeowners can easily adjust temperature and comfort settings from a paired iOS or Android device.

The ecobee3 remains available for $199 on sale and $249 regularly.

Article Link: Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat With Both HomeKit and Built-In Alexa Now Available to Pre-Order For $249

2. groovyd macrumors 6502a

groovyd

3. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

I love my Ecobee 3, but if it ever dies or I decide to upgrade, ill be switching to nest. I don't want a microphone in my house. Really dumb move on Ecobees part this time around. :(

4. liberte1776 macrumors member

The wireless sensors need to add support for humidity sensing! I need this functionality!

5. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Seems like a 100% HomeKit user has really no benefit other than design on v3 versus v4. I certainly don't see any need to upgrade.

6. mlody macrumors 6502a

7. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Don't use Alexa, so no interest in this. Wish they would have done more. But like most companies, have to push out a new product when they are still trying to polish the older product (ecobee 3) to make an extra buck.

8. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

Glad to see the company is making new products but I certainly am sticking with my ecobee3

9. theheadguy macrumors 65816

Yes. It's called Ecobee3.

10. MrX8503 macrumors 68000

I've never used Nest, but I believe Ecobee3 is the best smart thermostat available.

It's great to see Ecobee continuously updating their line. I'm not an Alexa user, so there's no need for me to update. I wish they would increase the resolution/screen quality of the thermostat though.

11. Braderunner macrumors regular

I have a Nest. It SUCKS!
    No HomeKit support. But, even with that, it would still suck. I'm getting an Ecobee. I'm sure The microphone can be turned off.

12. Iconoclysm macrumors 68000

Iconoclysm

Ordered. Goodbye, Nest.
    --- Post Merged, May 3, 2017 ---
    Does humidity really differ that much from room to room?
    --- Post Merged, May 3, 2017 ---
    I would consider maybe a Honeywell then. Nest has really let me down over the years, from poor temperature sensing to modules burning out...don't even get me started on Nest Protect. Ours like to start false alarms at 4 AM on random days.

13. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I don't see anyone talking about the light switch. If they make a nice looking switch that works with HomeKit we could have several benefits in one. Powered vs battery, motion detection that could possibly refresh faster than the remotes that today have to save power and a device to control a light via software or automation. Maybe more functions since the power is more available.

14. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Yes, there is a privacy mode that switches the microphone off.

15. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

I'm happy with my threes. Good to know it Alexa can be disabled though if I ever need to replace a unit.

16. avanpelt macrumors 68020

Do you have iPhones, iPads, or Apple Watches with "Hey, Siri" enabled? If so, you already have always-on microphones in your house. Also, a previous poster mentioned that there is a "privacy mode" that disables Alexa functionality.

17. SD449 macrumors member

Is this (or the Ecobee3) going to be available in the UK?

After reading the forums it seems it the homekit thermostat to have

18. violentblogger macrumors newbie

I'm sure the next version of Nest; v4 will have all the same upgrades and possibly more. Can't imagine why they didn't have homekit 1st since Tony Fadall came from Apple, and the nest was the 1st smart home thermostat to work with Apple.

19. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

Nope. I don't have any of that stuff. Actually an Android user (formally iOS user from years ago, until Steve died and Tim killed innovation, but thats a different topic.) AND No, I don't have "Ok Google" enabled either. I think all voice commands are stupid when it takes me less then a microsecond to push a button.

Glad to hear there is a way to disable Alexa. Amazon already gets enough of my money. LOL

20. imola.zhp macrumors 6502

imola.zhp

Prefer our Nest, only commenting to say wait for Nest to add google home to the next gen Nest, which I won't buy.

I don't understand listening devices, their name is inherently creepy.

21. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Any announced software updates for ecobee3 users?

22. imola.zhp macrumors 6502

imola.zhp

Nest was purchased by google, you know, the creator of Android. So, no HomeKit anytime soon (or ever).

Sorry, I wish it were not so also.

23. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

"Before you turn up the heat, let me show you our specials on blankets TODAY ONLY on Amazon..."

24. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Love my ecobee3, but won't be upgrading to the 4. First off, half the point of buying a smart thermostat is to save money. Those savings get flushed down the toilet if you buy a new version every few years. Second, the only noteworthy addition is Alexa, which I have no use for.

My biggest complaint with my e3 is having to rely on third-party apps for geofencing, but overall it's a really nice thermostat.

25. trifid macrumors 65816

trifid