EDGE access while driving?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NewSc2, Aug 16, 2007.

1. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

I don't seem to be able to get any internet when I'm riding in a car, which kinda sucks as the driver's had to pull over to stop for me to get directions through Maps. Doesn't matter if I'm going 25mph in a residential or 70mph on the freeway.

I've only had my iPhone for a couple days so I was wondering if this is common?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Nope not common.
    I drive and browse the internet all the time on my iphone:eek:

3. cjandnw macrumors 6502

I just accessed google maps, located a street and plotted a course while driving, stopping a a red light and driving some more. No problems.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

A much safer demonstration: there have been a number of cases where I've been a passenger with my iPhone and have pulled up data, checked my e-mail, and surfed the web while in a moving car and connected to EDGE. Speeds ranged from 20 to 70 MPH.

Additionally, I've driven on a couple of long trips while a passenger has tethered a laptop to his phone and surfed on EDGE. He managed to maintain a connection for 3 hours straight while we traveled along the PA Turnpike (average speed about 65-70).

5. iPhoneyboy macrumors member

No problems here in North San Diego County coastal area. On surface streets or highways at 70+. For me, Edge seems better outside than inside businesses.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Works fine in So. Cal. (101). While stuck in traffic, used the Map app to get a traffic report. It was nice to know the freeway showed clear a couple of exits down the road.

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Works fine for me. There is no reason it shouldn't work when driving? As long as you get surface when your driving.

8. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

9. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

I've never had that issue. I've driven from Connecticut through to Western Maryland and used EDGE with no issues. I've been able to check Google Maps and even receive voice mails (which are delivered via EDGE).

YMMV, I guess.

--DotComCTO

10. earthsick macrumors regular

I live in NJ and while I have never really experienced total loss of internet while driving, I have noticed that it is WAY slower while driving. I just figured this had to do with me not being close to a tower or something to that nature, though.

11. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

I call BS.

BS that you averaged 65-70 mph on the PA turnpike over 3 hours. :)

12. alywa macrumors 6502

I haven't had any problems, except on backroads where there was no EDGE or ATT service. On highways, major roads, no problems.

13. weezer4272 macrumors newbie

I had no problems this morning using google maps as a passenger to call around to a few stores on my way to work.

14. vkirk macrumors newbie

Apple will replace your phone

I had some issues with my iphone, walked in to an apple store and they immediately gave me a new phone. I didn't even buy it from an apple store. great service. they want customers to be happy. No receipt required.

To those who complain about their phone dropping and scratching: I have found the rubber Belkin case is great. No, it doesn't have a plastic protector over the screen but I have found it helped when I droped the phone. no scratches. the back of the case has a spool to wrap your ear buds. Nice.

15. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

how fast were you driving? maybe you were going too fast for the rays to catch up.

16. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

Off topic question:

Shouldn't EDGE be faster if you drive, technically if you are not moving the signal is not as good as if you are traveling fast and get more signal. I'm thinking that going 60 MPH means your signal strength should be 60x what it would be than if your standing still....

PS. not a serious question.

17. AirmanPika macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

It seems to vary here. I usually don't have any issues while driving but I definitely have issues when riding the metrorail. The problem is that the phone keeps having to switch towers. This doesn't really affect voice but data is. Like I said though this really depends on where you are and how the towers are distributed.

18. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

idk it varies with me, but usually if edge doesnt work while im driving i just close safari, maps, etc and open it again and it works fine

19. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

I have no problems getting on edge when I'm in a car. I do however have problems with how slow edge is.

20. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

No problems here. My passenger watched Youtube today for an hour through a heavy rainstorm as we travelled approximately 60mph on the expressway.

21. NewSc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Reporting back in... EDGE seems fine on the road now. Haven't had much opportunity to test it cuz I've usually been driving myself but the few times I've handed it to the passenger its worked. This thing is amazing :)!