Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vibhor80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Hey everyone,

There are plenty of examples on the web of how to process the image.
I want to detect any object in image(such as hand, face etc). I am unable to detect the object.
If anyone know how to code one help would be greatly appreciated.

Vibhor Bhatnagar
vibhor80@gmail.com:)

Bakerman

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2005
Sweden
What do you mean by "detect"?

There are a number of filters that you can apply that make objects, or the edges of objects, stand out more from the background. Once you've chosen a set of filters and applied them, you still have to apply an algorithm to find out where in the image your objects are located.

Unfortunately this is not a trivial problem and you need quite a lot of a priori knowledge of the image to achieve good results.

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
Any object? So, you are requesting for help on how to perform arbitrary object detection? Right. My first recommendation is to search for "arbitrary object detection algorithm" in Google and read. You may want to reconsider this goal -- this is not for the hobbyist.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hey everyone,

There are plenty of examples on the web of how to process the image.
I want to detect any object in image(such as hand, face etc). I am unable to detect the object.
If anyone know how to code one help would be greatly appreciated.

Vibhor Bhatnagar
vibhor80@gmail.com:)

I guess instead of posting at MacRumors you should go to the nearest university library.

vibhor80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
What do you mean by "detect"?

There are a number of filters that you can apply that make objects, or the edges of objects, stand out more from the background. Once you've chosen a set of filters and applied them, you still have to apply an algorithm to find out where in the image your objects are located.

Unfortunately this is not a trivial problem and you need quite a lot of a priori knowledge of the image to achieve good results.

Thanks, for your suggestion. If you have any sample example please forward to me or if you provide me small code snipped then its good for me.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
Thanks, for your suggestion. If you have any sample example please forward to me or if you provide me small code snipped then its good for me.

"small code"??

What you've described is by no means a small or simple thing. That's what everyone is trying to tell you.

MacRohde

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
What you are trying to do is something one might do as a thesis project - so asking us for code samples is ludicrous.

Object recognition and segmentation is one of the big problems in image processing - not matter what you might see on TV it really is a very very hard task.

So, if you really are interesting in it, you would have to learn a lot of image prcessing - for starters check out the chapter "Image Segmentation" in "Digital Image Processing" by Gonzalez & Woods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.