EDGE Doubles Its Speed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cupofjoe, Mar 27, 2008.

1. cupofjoe macrumors regular

http://gizmodo.com/372868/edge-doubles-its-speed

:D Looks like good news for current iPhone owners if you ask me.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Hopefully this will only require a firmware update, not new hardware, otherwise, there will be something to fall back on when you can't get 3G.

TEG

3. cupofjoe thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I'm hoping for, a nice little firmware update, lol.

I don't want to have to fork over another 500 or 600 bucks for a 3G phone when this is a possibility. ;)

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

you still realize that even with this bump, it's still a lot slower than 3g ... and you can't do voice and data at the same time ... 3g is a significant upgrade

5. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

6. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Yup...your so right, as has been point out over and over and over again....HOWEVER...for those of us in areas that 3G does not, has not and probably will not for sometime...This is GREAT news!!!

7. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

sweet, with a little faster edge maybe I can resist the 3g iPhone when it comes out.

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

oh it's definitely good news, you just can't expect it to perform as well as 3g.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm confused...

does that mean the entire EDGE Network has been successfully DOUBLED? B/C I'm certain that my EDGE Network is still "as slow a molasses going up hill on a cold day!" I did the iNetwork test immediately after reading this post and my WiFi = 1295kbps and EDGE = 123kbps. But my "battery" still has a full charge! LOL :eek::confused:

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

They are rolling out EDGE Evolution, it is up to at&t/O2/T-Mo/Orange to upgrade their equipment to support it.

TEG

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

just cause it's feasible, doesn't mean ATT has (or even will, although i don't know why not) adopted it yet.

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If it requires a lot of new equipment to support EDGE-E I doubt it will come, if it is a minor hardware upgrade or software upgrade I expect it will come, especially in those places that are a bit too rural for 3G.

TEG

13. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

the article said it was a software based solution ... i don't think that would require new hardware, or equipment

14. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

OK, most other places I've read it were ambiguous in how it was achieved.

TEG

15. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Are you always this postive and cheerful??? Has anyone here stated in anyway shape or form that this is better then or a replacement for 3G? Has anyone even insinuated a threat toward your precious 3G? Just curious cause everytime someone says something about bettering this technology, even a little, you beat them down.

16. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

cupofjoe said if this was possible, he wouldn't get 3g, and i was telling him that it's not the same..

Then SFStateStudent tried it out and was surprised at the speed being the same, and i simply said that it hasn't been rolled out yet ...

I don't care about 3g, i won't even get the new model when it comes out...
    none of my comments were meant to be a "beat down" or negative ... just information ...

EDIT:
    So cupofjoe and sfstatestudent, If I offended you with my "negativity" I'm sorry ...

17. cupofjoe thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I really don't have anything against "3G", but regardless of that, this is still fantastic news for those that both don't have the coverage or the money to toss at another iPhone. Hell, I'd love to have a 3G iPhone - but that's just not feasible for me right now. I don't think that's what I was trying specifically to get at with posting it, just letting others know that it is quite possible EDGE could be improved. We all know it won't be 3G.

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

still, I'll take it! Especially if it can be done with a firmware update! :D

19. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I don't think it will take any user update (like an apple firmware)... but rather something the servers will change ... i could be wrong though ...
    so one day it should just be faster...

20. 3247 macrumors regular

EDGE is 3G. It's part of ITU's 3G standard (IMT-2000) under the name IMT-SC.

3G starts at 144 kbit/s. And yes, EDGE does allow voice and data at the same time - at least in theory.

21. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Data_Rates_for_GSM_Evolution

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Depends on what they're doing.

If it's the usual compress-data-before-sending kind of thing, then it might require a large investment in (de)compression servers on the carrier side.

Still would be announced as "software only solution". In corporate-speak, that means just add it to your existing farm of ten thousand servers... if you have them!

:)

23. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't know if there are more "experts" surrounding the technological specs behind EDGE and 3G or the U.S. economy.

25. Matti macrumors regular

According to Nokia-Siemens Networks it's software update only for networks. Phones will need new hardware and phones utilizing new tech won't be around until 2009. So no luck for current iPhone owners.

Source (but it's in finnish):

http://www.itviikko.fi/page.php?page_id=46&news_id=20088747