EDGE isn't slow...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skeen, Nov 27, 2007.

1. skeen macrumors 6502

On various podcasts, and YouTube vids, etc., I've seen american users constantly complaining about the speed of EDGE for the iPhone.

Is this just a US thing? Because EDGE is surprisingly fast here, in the UK, IMO. I even caught a YouTube clip on the way back home on the train, and it only needed about a 10 second preliminary load.

Web browsing seems to go a bit faster than dialup, which is pretty great for general web browsing - a lot of people still use dialup in their homes.

So what's with the complaints? Do other UK users concur that it's pretty fast? And just how slow is it for you americans?

2. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

In the UK we have a bigger bandwidth for edge compared to america, although im not sure of the exzact numbers.

I think edge is around 200-300 kb/s

3g in the uk is 384 kb/s i think.

3. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

It's really not that bad in the U.S. either. The complaints you're seeing are probably mostly from people so used to broadband access that EDGE seems unbearably slow in comparison.

I remember what dial-up access was like, and EDGE is much better than that. I'm quite satisfied with the speed it delivers (given that it's a mobile device) and wouldn't be interested in paying any more for a phone with 3G just for a bump in bandwidth.

4. Project macrumors 68020

EDGE can theoretically go past regular 3G/UMTS speeds, depending on whether it is a 4 or 8 timeslot implementation. 8 timeslot EDGE can reach over 450kbps. We do not know what O2 is doing.

All I do know is that EDGE on the iPhone is faster than 3G on my Nokia N73. Things like processor, browser rendering speed etc have a lot to do with it too. And the iPhone is pretty much unsurpassed in both of these respects. So the difference between regular EDGE (280kbps) and 3G (380kbs) is negligible in real use.

Now HSDPA on the other hand.... that IS fast. I hope O2 jump straight to it with v2 of the iPhone.

5. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

6. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Not those on these forums, I'd hazard a guess. :D

I'd love to be able to agree with you but I rarely see that elusive EDGE symbol on my screen. :(

7. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I have been pretty impressed with the general speed of EDGE (in the US) as well.

8. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

the EDGE speeds completely depend on where you are at. i've tested it out while on the road with my band. in some areas you get really good speeds... in other areas it is painfully slow.

so to those who have fast EDGE speeds in the US, consider yourself lucky! ;)

9. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Edge was superfast last weekend.

Maybe everyone was too turkey stuffed to use their iphone?

10. mugwump macrumors regular

There are busy areas in LA where edge barely crawls, times out, or only provides one minute of connectivity. Other areas provide smooth performance and is somewhat enjoyable.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by the speed of edge data. I've used it before on orange and it was painfully slow but o2's implementation is pretty snappy. Subjectively it feels a bit slower than 3g (which is to be expected) but very usable for web browsing and email and pretty good even for youtube.

12. phaggard macrumors regular

FYI- You can't use the download speed of a Youtube video for data comparisons. When on Edge, the video quality and size is not the same as on WiFi. Youtube vidoes while on Edge are very poor quality.

13. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

To have a reasonably objective speed test on the iPhone, you can navigate to http://www.inetworktest.com. There's a web app there that will test the speed of your connection.

My results after two tests:

83.9 kbps at four bars
    94.4 kbps at five bars

iNetworkTest says people are reporting average Edge speeds at 210 kbps currently, although how accurate that number is may be questionable. I don't know.

14. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for this site I just did the test and at five bars I got 162 in Vegas. Is that good?

15. tonywob, Nov 27, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  16. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

My score was 175.3 in Chicago (5 bars.)

17. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

133kbps 2-3 bars (was going in between the two during the test)

Edge isn't as slow as the whiners here would have you believe it is. It's a phone, I won't be using it like a laptop nor do i hold it to the same standards as a laptop so if it takes me a little more to get a site up I will either deal with it or pre-load the site i need.

I did that with something I needed from Home depot, pre-loaded the site with the item i needed, went to the store, brought up the page and then showed the CSR what i was looking for. Worked out great and it took seconds to bring up the page when I needed it.

18. skeen thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm getting over 300kbps on GPRS right now...5 bars.

19. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I Thought GPRS was slower then edge?

20. csi24 macrumors member

csi24

I believe it is, that's a pretty crazy speed:eek:. I don't have an iPhone yet but I have a Cingular 8125 and I could load myspace and pages like that pretty quickly. And my phone is over a year old so I'm sure the iPhone should be even faster:D

21. snook911 macrumors 6502a

WOW !:eek:! No wonder you guys in the UK are not complaining about the speeds. Thats as fast as 3g here inthe us.

22. sparkyms macrumors 65816

i dont think its right tho.. says my GPRS is 349.1kbps. :s

just did a speed-test at http://i.dslr.net/tinyspeedtest.html and my GPRS got 106KBPS - which is not too shabby.
    Not had an EDGE signal yet to check it out but I will report back.

23. skeen thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont know what my EDGE speed is yet. But I'm getting a persistent 300+ kbps using that speed test with 5 bar GPRS.

24. tonywob, Nov 27, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011