EDGE not working on iphone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Namz, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Namz macrumors newbie

Hey I really need some help,

I only get service when my iphone 5 captures a 3G network. If it doesn't, it gives me "no service", meaning that EDGE doesn't work. If I disable the 3G in settings, I will never get a service, it will always show "no service". Even if I turn off the cellular data, I wouldn't get service unless I'm in a 3G area. EDGE doesn't seem to exist on my iphone 5.

I tried all the restore/reset options possible, it didn't work. The issue is from the phone, not the SIM card. I tried my SIM on another iphone, it works perfectly. I tried other SIMs on my iphone, and still no EDGE.

Does anyone else have this problem? Can someone help me? It drives me crazy because I live in an area where I don't get a lot of 3G network, therefore I often have "no service".

2. ManuCH macrumors 6502

It sounds like your iPhone is defective. Have it exchanged at an Apple Store.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Also remember most edge transmitters are being converted to 4g so there may not be an edge service avalible to you.

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

If your sim in another phone in the same place shows edge, then your iPhone is defective.

Anyway how could you disable 3G in your iPhone 5 ???
    On my I could only disable LTE ....

5. iHEGGSY macrumors newbie

^^^

My Network in the UK (O2 UK) doesn't even have 4G, never mind LTE haha, so the only option you get in settings is "disable/enable 3G"

6. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

whats the carrier?

7. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

are you sure your carrier is capable to fall back to a 2G network? there are carriers who don't even have EDGE/GPRS to fall back...

where do you live and what carrier are you using?

8. Namz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah my carrier is capable on getting EDGE because when I put my SIM on another phone, EDGE works fine. I got it to an apple place, and they said it's not a hardware problem. They couldn't figure it out!

9. moon spell macrumors newbie

i unlocked iphone from 3 austria, after this im have exactly same problem like u, accept i get signal on 3g but even signal it can ring only, i cant hear or other person hear, like block between my and the caller, i called apple they said they cant do any thing as my iphone out of warrant, i restored it, reset carrier settings, called 3 austria for it, and they told me to call apple,

i wonder what to do in this iphone 5, no one can find problem like this

any suggestion also?

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That's strange...I'm with O2 UK and both options are available to me. Enable 3G or Enable 4G the 4G option appears when I activate mobile data ( iPhone 5S)

Of course, it just reverts to 3G but it's been there since I got the phone.

11. moon spell macrumors newbie

i called apple again now,a nd they said they cant help againa s its out of warranty, i told them this defective is from factory, but no joy

any suggestion what is the fault is?

12. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

is yours the 'world' model ? mine is, and it does not even has the option to disable 3g. to me it means it is uncapable of doing 2g

13. moon spell macrumors newbie

i serach the model, and this model is similar to sprint fones, its like has system inside that make it different,
    as i said it was from austria, and it support cdma and edge,
    its in ios 7.0.6 now,press in (carrier) u will find option for 2 and 3g?

i start feel bad from apple,

14. moon spell macrumors newbie

any one can suggest solution? or what is the fault?

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Where are you OP? In the US many markets are slowing/shutting EDGE/2G services down in order to make room for LTE and enhanced 4G/3G services.

Europe I think skipped EDGE all together.

16. moon spell macrumors newbie

17. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

When my band was on tour over the summer, I got Edge coverage but it barely functioned. I couldn't even really use the internet.

18. moon spell macrumors newbie

u think my phone not have problem? but why other iphone 5 doesnt have same fault?