Edge to Edge Display (Without Bezels) on iPad is it Possible Soon ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by augustya, Apr 18, 2016.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Do you guys think Apple will anytime soon switch to a edge to edge display like without Bezels kind of display for the iPad, just like a couple of Samsung Phones which are available ?

2. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Not sure. But wouldn't your hand or thumb be blocking part of the screen image?

3. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

No, because holding them one-handed would be a touch-screen nightmare.

4. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

How come Samsung has it then ? Display matters to Samsung also the same rule of hands/thumbs blocking the screen is a constraint to it also. Yet it has it.

5. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Doesn't mean it's a good idea. Sometimes, just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done. I don't think I'd like no bezels and nowhere to hold the device without blocking the screen. But I'm sure Apple is capable of producing such a device. Whether or not they will is anyone's guess.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And that means it's a good user design choice....why?

Motorola sells a rugged phone with a hand crank charger, I guess that means the iPhone should have one?

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Nah - bad idea. You need a way to grab and hold the device. Edge to edge screens are for TVs and monitors since you shouldnt be touching them while in use. Tablets and Phones? Nope.

8. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Samsung has already proven with its phone that it can be done ! It is possible !

9. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Possible? Yes. Best choice for user experience? No, IMO.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For phones, maybe. I can see how you might be able to just hold them by the edge, and not need bezels for your fingers to rest. The iPhone has almost no side bezel, just the top and bottom bezels for camera/sensors and home button. But a tablet is too big to just hold by the edges. I think you need bezels for the fingers to rest.

11. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

I am worried if I buy an 9.7" iPad Pro now, only on condition that I wanna keep it for atleast 3-4 years do not have the moolah to upgrade every year and what if Apple completely comes up with a overhauled, new, display design for the iPad in the next 3-4 years my money has gone down the drain ! Technological bumps (Processor/RAM) I dont mind can't stop that but design overhaul that hurts ! If it is gonna happen say next year or so...

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

13. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Have you actually tried a bezel-less device? My current phone is the Sharp Aquos Crystal. It has no bezel on the top and sides. In nearly 2 years of usage, it has not been a nightmare.

14. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

But a phone can be cradled in such a way as to not block the screen. An iPad cannot from my experience.

15. Serban Suspended

for an ipad there is no need for bezel free...from ergonomics and practically points of view. But i want to see edge to edge display for iphone. A smartphone can be kept by the case edges, an ipad cannot

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Then I guess you should never buy any type of device ever, be it a car, a fridge, TV, tablet, cell phone.

If you get 3-4 years of use out of a product, it's not "money down the drain". Frankly, if a design overhaul happens, you can still sell your current device for far more money back than you'd get out of any other type of tablet.

17. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

As others pointed out, that would be a really bad design for an iPad.

I didn't even mind the larger bezels the iPad 4 and older had as there are times when laying in bed resting my iPad Air 2 on my chest that the sheets cover the a bit of the bottom of the iPad since the bezels are smaller and it doesn't stick up as much. Not a deal breaker, but something I noticed when I first got my previous iPad Air.

18. Serban Suspended

tell him to buy an eboda tablet :D

19. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Certainly not a 12.9" iPad. A 9.7 iPad can, and an iPad Mini most definitely. People said a bezel-less phone would not be possible, that it would be a "nightmare". It is possible and it works quite well. It could be that way on tablets as well.

The issue is not if it is possible, but why... why do it? Other than aesthetics, what is the benefit?

20. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Better, larger, closer display !

21. Serban Suspended

22. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

No I don't !

Without Bezels will the display not appear larger or bigger whatever ? Yes it would ? Right ?

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Or smaller overall device dimension.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Appearing larger while leaving less room for components is beneficial...how?

25. Serban Suspended

ITS A TABLET!!? why compact and more difficult to use it? IT DOESN'T have to fit into your pocket like a smartphone