EDITED Proximity Sensor Is The Same Since Updating To 4.0.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rhodesy, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Rhodesy macrumors newbie

Mine seems more sensative anyone else still having issues since the update??

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

This is definitely good news, can anyone confirm? I'm three hours away from trying this out at home. Would be glad to know that a 579MB download isn't going to be purely cosmetic.

3. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

I think it is also improved but time will tell. I can move my hand 1.5in from the sensor and the screen is still off.

4. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Can't say but restarting after the update could reset the sensor for a bit of time. Over at Apple's discussion site, they are reporting it had no difference after a few calls. It started flashing again.

5. Rhodesy thread starter macrumors newbie

just yesterday i was showing my girlfriend if i held the phone between my left shoulder and my ear hands free it would set it off every time!! i cant get it to do it now!!! im sure there has been chages made to the sensativity of it

6. mantan macrumors 68000

First, the 579 MB download is the entire OS. Apple usually provided a whole new OS download, not a true 'patch' file to update the OS.

Second, I'd be really surprised if the proximity sensor issue isn't a hopeful placebo effect. Heck, placebo may be too strong as nothing in the release notes mentioned it as an acknowledged problem - let alone a fix for it.

Like the antenna issue, you have to wonder if it's more of a hardware issue than a software issue that can be addressed through a download.

7. nfl46 macrumors 604

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Proximity sensor is a hardware issue.

Thinking a software update fixed it is delusional.

9. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I think the course of action is to wait and see what Apple announces tomorrow (although I doubt the prox. sensor will even be mentioned). Then it back to Apple and demand replacement(s) until you no longer experience the problem.

10. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

How is it hardware? What if the sensor itself is fine but there is a flawed connection between its recognition and the iPhone blanking out the screen... seems software to me.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Even if it is hardware, its quite possible to adjust the sensitivity of the sensor via software. I don't think its hardware personally, but even if were, I think apple would be able to fix it.

12. Rhodesy thread starter macrumors newbie

i agree it is a design flaw but a software patch could change the sensativity of it and make it a little better as mine does so far!!!

13. Alive macrumors newbie

Nope, I've updated - same problems. If you look at the thread @ apple.com you'll see mostly similar experiences. Update didn't do ***** for the proximity sensor issue

14. cc999 macrumors 6502

Never had issue

I never had an issue with proximity. Mine works perfectly. I did get the 2nd batch of iphones so maybe they corrected something?

15. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

I don't expect any fixes to proximity sensor. I think 4.0.1 is purely for signal display.

16. Rhodesy thread starter macrumors newbie

i take it all back and am gonna change the thread tital i have managed to replicate the issue now!!!!! lets hope jobs has something to say on this tomorrow

17. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I was denied a warranty replacement yesterday over the proximity issue. The "Genius" rep stated that new firmware should be out shortly that will properly calibrate the sensor. Looks like I might be going back tonight, if I can only get the firmware installed first.

18. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

Well, that sucks. The only reason I even did the update, which is taking forever (I have resorted to putting a business card on the phone to see if the progress bar really moved or not) was because it might fix the prox sensor problem.

19. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

You're right....they listed the bars right on the update as the only fix, but decided to sneak in some other features that actually make the phone better and not tell you....

20. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Is tomorrow going to be a press conference or just a press announcement? Maybe we can get the proximity sensor issues to the press to ask as a question?

21. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It's a bit hard to tell if you're being sarcastic, but that's not entirely unheard of.

22. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

Really? When?

Every update includes a complete list of what is changing....even crap I could care less about half the time.

If you believe they would put a proximity sensor fix and not list it I feel sorry for you.

23. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

Not sure about you, but the text I saw on the Update screen was something like" This update contains bug fixes and improvements, including the following"...then lists the bar update verbage.

See, that little "s" or "es" on the end of certain words, that makes each world the plural form and plural means more than one. So, it is entirely reasonable to think they may have other things besides the bar fix in there. ;) In fact, I would be very surpised if the bar fix was the only thing in there, though it is also possible that they just copied the same language they always use to get it out quickly as well.

Since neither of us works for Apple to know for sure, we can just stop denegrating others mkay.

24. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

You're the one I feel sorry for.

Apple has released loads of updates and not said what is in them. They have also put things in updates that aren't listed.

It wouldn't shock me. They're going to want to avoid any bad publicity they can at the moment.

25. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

Are you guys morons?? The list of updates always says the same thing on the top and the bottom. The list of fixes/bugs is almost always plural but that doesn't mean it can be a singular item. They don't change all of the download software just to clarify.

Again, why would they not want to fix a known problem without telling you?? They would be heros for getting it done this quickly.