Editor Wanted

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jer446, Mar 14, 2012.

1. jer446, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012

jer446 macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I am helping a friend who is in need of an editor. He is looking to have his short film edited, which will be approximately 15 minutes long. He filmed on a canon 7d and has already synced up the audio. The film is about 75% shot, and he is realizing that he would be better off hiring a professional editor rather than doing it himself. Can you suggest a better place to search for an editor? Also, what are the rates an editor typically charges?

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

CreativeCow might be a better forum for this, and if you do so, also mention the editing application it is already synched in.

3. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you. I had him go there. Do you know of a place I can do some research on how to hire an editor? ie. Questions to ask them, what is a fair rate and pay structure etc.?

4. simsaladimbamba

Since you are probably US bound, no.
    Maybe www.mandy.com?

5. mBox macrumors 68020

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Check over at DVXuser as well. There are a lot of indie people over there so you might have more luck than at Creative COW (i.e. possibly people willing to work for less). There is always Craigs list as well.

As far as rates go, somewhere between free and $200/hr depending on location, experience, gear, whether or not they really like the project, etc.,.

Lethal

7. howardnow macrumors member

You can post to BethsJobList dot com They only accept editors with fairly good resumes.
    Also, once you start getting editor's names, be sure to check them out on IMDB dot com (also call their references). Not a bad idea to view a film they have edited (not just scenes).
    In your job post, be sure to state your job location, Avid or Final Cut Pro (most people have their own software these days for small projects).
    Depending on the project/script you can get a deal on an available editor. But remember you get what you pay for and you want someone really interested.
    Lastly, not bad to have an editor that was/is an assistant editor or post super so that all the set-up and any final elements are created properly.

8. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

9. WRP macrumors 6502a

I kind of disagree with this. Most editors that demand $200/hr are in demand and not looking on craigslist for work. I find the caliber people on there are usually free - $60/hr.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I didn't mean to imply those types of editors would be on craigslist. The OP asked two separate questions (where and how much) and I gave two separate answers.

If he would've asked how much can I find an editor on craigslist for I would've said between $0-$10/hr. :D

I'll also ad, OP, expect to be able to show some of the footage and to 'sell' the film to the editor. The editor is most likely going to be interviewing you as much as you are interviewing him.

Lethal

11. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone. I will also try the other site to search for an editor. Since they would be working remotely, what is a good method for sharing the huge video files back and forth?

12. WRP, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

WRP macrumors 6502a

Sharing huge video files back and forth is not ideal. You should Fedex the editor a drive and he can upload compressed rough cuts to a site like vimeo and password protect it (if they don't have their own site with viewing pages). A 30 minute film will have hours of footage. That's too much to share across the web of 7D footage.

If the editor is working with FCP he will want to transcode it to prores. Since you are paying him hourly you may want to do this first and send him what format he wants to work in. Same goes for Windows but it won't be prores. Just so you see the size of 1-minute of 1080p24 footage in the different prores codecs:

ProRes 4444 (with alpha) - 1.42GB
    ProRes 422 (HQ) - 1GB
    ProRes 422 - 644.5MB
    ProRes 422 (LT) - 437.6MB
    ProRes 422 (proxy) 212.1MB

Can't tell you how much I love transcoding someones h264 for days and double dipping with another client in the meantime. ;)

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Another option, if the editor and director have the same editing software, is to ship a drive w/footage to the editor and then just email project files back and fourth.

I doubt the editor is going to getting paid hourly. This seems more like a 'Hey, I've got a short film and $150. Do want to edit it for me?" type deal.

Lethal

14. WRP macrumors 6502a

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You might not but there are thousands of hungry kids looking for experience that will.

Lethal

16. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hopefully we can figure out what to do with the files. What is the best way to pay whoever we wind up hiring? 25% in the beginning and 75% upon completion, paying with paypal?

17. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I'm editing an independent film shot on 5D right now. It's feature length (about two hours) and the original footage is about 500GB, so they gave me a 1TB Western Digital My Passport USB 3.0 drive with all the raw footage and poly wav sound files. You can get those at Costco for under $100. I was paid 50% when I started working on it, and get the last 50% when it's done.

18. WRP macrumors 6502a

Not sure how I would do it in this situation. I work for reputable companies so I do the work and invoice them upon completion or by the week. They have net30 to pay me.

For this, since it will probably be drawn out and since it will be a "this is what you are getting paid for the project type deal", I would make him sign something so he doesn't take your money and bail and pay him half up front.

If you do paypal remember that you should be eating the fees and not him.

19. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I would agree with WRP there. Don't do like my buddies are doing with me... I've not signed a thing. Fortunately for them, it's not our first project together, and they know I won't bail on them.

I'm just glad they're patient enough to deal with me running my business while I work on their film, but on the other hand, some of their mistakes I'm dealing with are driving me mad, so patience is flowing all around us. :p

20. Fandongo macrumors 6502

To save money just reshoot the entire movie.
    One take... change film stock (err, hit record) every 12 minutes.

Editors have a higher suicide rate than suicidal people.
    Best to remove oneself from any potential liability.

21. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

You gotta love when you have to cut takes that go from direct sunlight to straight up rain. In some cases, a re-shoot would make a world of difference.

Honestly, why even roll the camera sometimes? :( I know stuff happens, and schedules are tight, but assuming I can fix ANYthing in post is crazy, even if flattering. :p

You've all been there, I know.

22. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's tough....I worked with a New Zealand based band a while back...Express Air mail, good BB speeds and a lot of long distance phone calls, but we got a good product in the end.

Ideally you really do want someone local.

23. boch82 macrumors 6502

Set up for a quick studio interview shoot for a friend a little while back. They wanted a black back drop with some up lights.

Get into post and they decide they dont like the uplights. (they were at the shoots and had a program feed).

Anyways a day of editing and 72 hours of after effects work/rendering later it was fixed.

24. WRP macrumors 6502a

Was doing a game show style series last year.

The host did his script read to the contestants with the cards way off screen. Then he did a read directly to camera pretending to turn his head back and forth to the contestants. I needed the direct to camera a lot as it was the only closeup on the host and usually a better read.

One time it was sunny and he was wearing sunglasses in the wide and didn't have them on in the closeup. Another time his jacket went from buttoned to unbuttoned. And a third episode it started sprinkling and you could see it in the tight but not the wide.

I just threw up my hands and had to ask myself why the hell the director and line producer were getting paid.