'edquota' command is being unpredictable on Leopard Server

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Mr-Stabby, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Mr-Stabby macrumors 6502

I wonder if anyone can help me with this.

We use disk quotas on all our users on their home folders, however we also wish to set up a quota on a drive/share on a different server that doesn't have any links to network home folders, so we can't set quotas through Workgroup Manager like we do with network home folders.

the edquota command seems to be the way to do this of course. I first enabled quotas, then edited the quota of a testuser, then used the -p tag to then transfer those quota settings to the other users.

However it mostly never works, and the only time i managed to get it to work, once the server was restarted, it had forgotten all the settings i had made. Occasionally the quota would work but would be set to a completely random number like 16mb (I set the quotas to 40gb).

There seems to be no pattern to the strange things it is doing, and several times i've tried deleting the hidden quota files on the root of the drive, and starting from scratch, but still i get random problems.

I thought the GUI side of Leopard Server might be interfering, so i didn't even open Server Admin or Workgroup Manager to check the GUI quota settings, i just used the Terminal, all to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be happening?

2. belvdr macrumors 603