Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamesta

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

When you buy your Mac online with edu. Pricing how easy is it just to say your in college and pay the cheaper price do they ask you for proof that your in college? I'm only in grade 9

gldubzakjr

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2010
Pinckney, Michigan
You must supply a copy of your student ID at the Apple Store; online purchases are verified through scan/fax option of your student ID card.

In short, you need proof...

Jamesta

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

How bout a student card with my schools name and my name? And some kind of student #

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
How bout a student card with my schools name and my name? And some kind of student #

It has to be a know higher educational school. A K-12 school will not pass Apple's lookings. But I don't ever remember scanning my ID card for the online Apple Store for my educational purchase for college.

Jamesta

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010

Okay... Thanks for your help guys

Full priced MacBook,here I come :D

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
You might as well try it with your high school ID, it couldn't hurt to try. You could also hit up your parents. I was recently with somebody buying a macbook for their son for freshman year, and they didn't ask for any ID.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
I've made countless purchases through the online education store (about 5 Systems and one Cinema Display), never once been asked for proof.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I've made countless purchases through the online education store (about 5 Systems and one Cinema Display), never once been asked for proof.

Same here, I was only asked for proof on one purchase from Apple, 4 years ago when I bought my first MP. I used the Apple student dev. program's one-time hardware discount, not the normal edu store. I have never needed proof for the general edu store.

lbro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2009
They ask for ID at the apple store but they do not ask for any ID when shopping on the apple online store. When you go through the ordering process, they ask if you go to university/college, and if you do they ask you which one you go to. Then they check if there's any student at that uni/college that has that address (the one on your account). So basically if you know anyone that goes to uni/college ask them if you could use their address.

Zauberer

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
When I purchased an iMac from the Apple Store I was never asked to show my student ID. Granted, I do look solidly college-age. I do believe the education discounts are only for universities, as was said above. It is definitely worth looking into your university's specific discount because they are not all the same. Doing a quick comparison, my schools' price for the high-end 15" MBP is $1919, compared to the $1999 with the standard education discount. I wish I had realized this before buying the iMac from the Apple Store using their standard discount because I could have saved a little more.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
Not sure about you guys, but I've purchased four items total from Oregon and Washington malls.

All required a college ID. All required a .edu e-mail address. All from 2009/2010 (recent).

Mac-key

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2010
Alabama
I bought apple care with the education discount through the apple online store and never had to provide any proof that I was a student or teacher.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The online store doesn't seem to ask for a student id, I've bought things from there before. Since you aren't in college, I would recommend buying a refurb as they are often the same price or cheaper than the education store and they are as good as new, they just come in a plain box instead of the fancy one.

Jamesta

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010

Yeah I might look into buying a refurbished one for myself then...

JGuez

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2008
I've ordered an iMac and a Macbook Pro from the Apple online store using an education discount.

Not once did they ask for proof.

lbro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2009
You could always try though, I don't think they check it every time.

tharris0101

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
I just ordered a laptop from the online store. I work for a k-12 school, so I used the education store. They just asked at the end to check a box indicating that I am a school employee. No ID required. Anyway, a 9th grader in high school would qualify for a discount anyway, right? Or do unis get better discounts?

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
I just ordered a laptop from the online store. I work for a k-12 school, so I used the education store. They just asked at the end to check a box indicating that I am a school employee. No ID required. Anyway, a 9th grader in high school would qualify for a discount anyway, right? Or do unis get better discounts?

You only get the discount as a student if you are in college. Apple doesn't verify all edu orders so they don't check school ID's. The only time you get a better discount is when you are a College/K-12 and want to buy Macs in bulk.

tharris0101

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
So there are different levels of education discounts, I was not aware of that. The i7 15" MBP was $200 off for me. What is it for a college student?

AdamRock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Toronto
i bought my mbp from the EDU store (im in grade 10, should be 11 though) and they didn't ask for proof whatsoever. whoever says apples not stupid might have to reconsider.

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010

When you buy your Mac online with edu. Pricing how easy is it just to say your in college and pay the cheaper price do they ask you for proof that your in college? I'm only in grade 9

first off theyre not gonna beleive a kid who looks like hes barely in high school is actually in college.

they ask for proof. this can be a college id or something else that shows youre enrolled in college. in my case I showed them a tuition bill.

LocoStrange

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
When I bought it at the retail store, I didnt bring any proof so I just logged into my college website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.