Education discount benefits

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Watabou, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Hi,

I'm recently looking for a macbook pro for my college needs(I will go a lot of graphics design and video editing and yes I'm waiting for Penryn though) and I heard a guy say on youtube(jon4lakers if anyone knows him) that if I use the education discount at the apple store, I'll get some free things, like the Applecare? Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Apple will not give you free Applecare in-store. However, some universities/schools do give extras that Apple won't.

If you go into an Apple Store, expect the following:

Discounted hardware (~10%)
    $100 off a printer
    $150-200 off an iPod (summer only, and there are certain version restrictions, but it's usually pretty broad).

3. MM07 macrumors 6502a

There is a slight discount on Apple Care for educators.

I might have save $75 or so for my MacBook.

4. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

5. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

Using an education discount for Applecare is a big deal! For a MBP, the price is 349.... with the EDU discount, it drops to 239.... 110 off.

While not free, 110 off the price is an awesome deal.

6. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

Is it recommended to buy applecare though? The notebook is already very pricey and I don't want to waste like 200 USD to buy it if nothing will go wrong with my MBP.

On the other hand, maybe just incase? I heard that a lot of people have problems even before the original warranty expires.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Applecare really is a hot topic, but let me just say this:

By the numbers (probability and such), Applecare is NOT a good idea.

However, you will read plenty of emotional responses which tell you how Applecare saved people when they needed it most and such, so make what you will of it.

I personally didn't get it because my credit card offers 1 free year of extended coverage, and I don't happen to buy into the idea of extended warranties anyways.

8. trb102589 macrumors newbie

is it worth buying the applecare right off the bat?...could I wait almost a year and buy it then? Dropping 2500 on a computer hurts enough. If I could wait 9 months before I dropped another 250 I would.

9. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

I think you can. My friend told me I can do that. You just have to register it or something.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yes, have Applecare "activated" before 1 year is over.

Again, I personally think the costs don't equal the remote risk involved (and plenty of studies back me up on this), but that's your business.

11. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

I'll take your advice then. I see for 9 months after buying to see how my macbook pro will hold up.

But then you said certain credit cards extend the warranty? I never heard of this...:confused:

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Call your company and find out if they offer extended warranty services. The only requirement normally is that you have to put the entire purchase on that card. Look into it. :)

13. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

Thansk for your help. :D

14. GCY macrumors regular

If ur not customizing the mac, buying it from amazon is better. NY tax are a killer for me. I only buy refurbished items from apple.

15. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

I dunno if Amazon will have the new Penryn MBP as soon as they are released though. I will try. Also out of curiosity, if I buy from amazon, I will get the MBP box right? :D With everything in it like the restore discs?

16. GCY macrumors regular

U'll get the exact same thing as you would from apple. Amazon don't charge tax and free shipping.

Not to mention there is also a $75-$150 rebate! I bought my macbook from amazon with $100 rebate.

17. sfs macrumors member

Check to see if your university has a computer or software store. Mine does, and in addition to offering the base-configuration Apple hardware for an additional hundred-and-something less, they knock about $50 off of the education price for AppleCare. I'm not sure if Apple has set this deal up with every university, but it's worth checking into.

18. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Here in the UK if you buy from the HE Apple store you get apple care for £50 if you buy at the same time as your mac. If you decide to wait you could always get it off eBay. I just saved myself about £180 buying mine off eBay.

19. philgilder macrumors 68000

bought my mbp in uk, got ~20% off hardware and saved £230 on applecare (thats $450 - yes, apple is a lot more expensive here. the most basic macbook pro costs uk people $500 more than us!!!)

20. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

AppleCare has almost paid itself for me already in less than 7 months. I've got two 120 quids worth of replacement power bricks.

* I bought AppleCare on eBay for US$220.

21. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

For my macbook pro, i got a new top case, valued at £130, and a dvi adaptor at £15,

the thing that is perhaps best about AppleCare, is it MASSIVELY increases the resale value.

22. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

AppleCare is a great idea if you plan to keep your computer for longer than a year. The logic board went out on my iMac G5, and everything was replaced free of charge. For once, I'm glad I invested in AppleCare.

This weekend I purchased a black MacBook. I didn't buy AppleCare because I plan to purchase a MacBook Air next year when storage size increases, it gets a faster processor, etc. I will most likely donate my MacBook to a school, family member, friend, etc. when I purchase the MBA next year.

23. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

That's nice of you.

24. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

I assume it's the same in the US as it is here in the UK, but when we buy through the Edu shop we get 3 years warranty of parts...for FREE!!! But, to upgrade it to Applecare we have to pay £42 (that was for a MB). This £42 takes it from a parts only 3 year warrnanty, to the full applecare, with 3 years telephone support.

Enjoy the MBP :)

25. Enyzam macrumors newbie

I start uni in september so I want to get a MBP before then, but my question is this.

If I went to my friend's uni to use the HE Apple store to buy it and ship it to my home address, would Apple freak out and go mental at me, or would they not care? Cause obviously you can only access the Apple HE store from a uni intranet...