Education Discount question.... :P

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheGingerNinja, Feb 26, 2011.

1. TheGingerNinja macrumors member

Hi all, I am currently in college, but am applying for university this year and have received offers from two universities.
    What i am wondering is if I can therefore go for the uni discount, which is far larger, for the new mbp. Just wondering, thanks :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You have to be at least accepted to a university to be eligible.

3. simsaladimbamba

If you are enrolled you can, but as many threads seem to prove (MRoogle), Apple doesn't verify your student status.

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

You mentioned that uni discount is far larger. How big is the difference?

In Denmark there is no difference between the 3 education stores...

5. TheGingerNinja thread starter macrumors member

In the UK if you are in college you get roughly up to 4% off, if you are at uni then you get up to 15% off... big difference :p

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Wow, that's huge. In Denmark it's 8% for all students/teachers, regardless of institution.

7. Hornzog macrumors member

Yep uni discount is 15% for macs, not to mention 75% (!!) off of applecare. I saved £300 in total.

8. MathiasVH macrumors regular

Not true. I'm a high school student in Denmark, 18 years old, and I'll save about 500DKR on the base MBP if I buy it now. If I wait until this summer where I'm going to study at CBS I'll save about 1000DKR on the base MBP ;)

9. mattzokhi macrumors newbie

10. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I'm a lecturer in FE and got a 13% discount. I'm pretty sure it's the same for students, though you may have to buy through the website on campus.

They are inconsistent with the discount offered - the IfL (an FE teachers' institute) have a direct link to a bespoke Apple webpage with c.12% off; I got 13% in store, but I've heard of this 15% for HE students and staff too. I also hear conflicting things about AppleCare offers - £50 for HE? The offer I got in-store was £120.

11. goMac macrumors 603

Not just accepted, enrolled.

The usual metric is that you have a class schedule at a university, or a student ID.

12. ClintMacwood macrumors member

That is not entirely true. I have just bought the high end 15'' - and I saved 13.6%.

13. gox81 macrumors member

gox81

Seems Belgium is pretty pathetic on that area haha, we get like 6% student discount on macs + sofware, that's about it. They didn't mention applecare being discounted aswel, it was 349€...lol, I'll just wait til my 1 year warranty ends.
    As for the question, if you can prove that you're enrolled in your school, they'll grant it to you. First I though you absolutely needed a student card or some kind of school ID, but a certificate was good enough, at least where I'm from.

14. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

I know this response won't be received well by many folks, but if you know for certain you're enrolling in school for the fall, I don't see a problem with you claiming the discount.

Apple wants you to use their products in the classroom, and they provide an incentive to students, educators and staff to do so.

If you think it will keep you up at night, call Apple and explain the situation to them. They be able to grant you an exception.

Otherwise, wait until you're formally enrolled.

15. NelsonB macrumors member

NelsonB

16. terryblyth macrumors regular

That's fantastic news - I had no idea about that. Thanks for the post, that's potentially saved me a fair amount of money! (And might make the new membership fee pay for itself!)

17. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

apple doesnt check.

i'm not at any college/uni and everything i buy from apple i use the EDU discount, they NEVER asked for proof.

also the discount is 8% in canada...

18. iNickk macrumors member

Take your conditional acceptance letter in to an apple store. I did the same thing last year, I'm at uni this year. The people in the apple store aren't really clued up on how the whole UCAS thing works, so just a conditional letter is enough to get you the discount.

19. JTToft macrumors 68040

- This confuses me. I just looked at the three online stores, and I see no difference... Perhaps CBS has a special deal with Apple?

And by the way, our currency is DKK, not DKR. :)

- Okay. I do apologize then. I calculated the discount on the high end 15" as well (which I have just bought). Is it possible there is a difference between different configurations?

20. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

No problem Terry - I thought that about IfL, and it is handy having the site to check out prices; but like I said, I got a slightly larger discount in-store and it was enough to be an FE lecturer - IfL didn't actually make a difference. So balls to their hugely increased membership fee!

21. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Remember UK HE students get a 3 year warranty if they buy online/phone. This saves having to buy Applecare (even if it is ~£45 only). NOT the case in store.

See- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103022

Yes, it is roughly £50 for HE students/staff. Most people get this price in store as well, but sometimes Apple staff get confused as there are different discounts for different types of student. Again, see the link above.

22. wesrk macrumors 6502a

Basically in the UK the best deal you can get if you are eligible is the online/phone purchase.

23. entilda macrumors newbie

You can still get the discount. Most institutions on their IT page offer a link for newly accepted students to get the discount. It's usually a guest id and password that logs you onto Apple's education page. See this for example,

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/sales/

24. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

back in the days I had to fax in my student ID in order to get my order processed. And I don't have a fax machine, it's a mess.

25. Tony06 macrumors newbie