Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
but i looooooooooooove people like you. :rolleyes:

and people all ready use the system the way it is. you don't like it? feel free to piss off. gates will be happy to take your $.

what apple SHOULD do is police the system they already have in place, but like i have been arguing here for 3 pages already, they WANT these sales regasrdless of edu or retail. so no, it will never go away, but it may eventually be watched more closely.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
shecky said:
but i looooooooooooove people like you. :rolleyes:

and people all ready use the system the way it is. you don't like it? feel free to piss off. gates will be happy to take your $.

what apple SHOULD do is police the system they already have in place, but like i have been arguing here for 3 pages already, they WANT these sales regasrdless of edu or retail. so no, it will never go away, but it may eventually be watched more closely.
You do realise that policing stuff costs a lot of money, which would also raise prices, both edu and non-edu prices. But you don't care, do you? Because you got an iPod for $20 less than I did.

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Come on guys, this dirt flinging achieves nothing - shecky's made his position clear, and others have made it clear what they think of that. No need to get personal. Both ways.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
You come forward and say: "I cheat, and I think it's ok" ... then I think I'm also entitled to say that I don't think it's ok to cheat. If you don't want people to react negatively, then just cheat and shut up about it. I still don't think it's ok to cheat, but you wouldn't need to hear me "whine" about it.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
:::sighs:::

i'd just like to see you propose your argument without nailing yourself to the cross while you do so. speak your mind! go for it! hurry up, cuz after i am done cheating Apple and screwing everyone else out of every penny they make i have some villiages i need to rape + pilliage. :rolleyes:

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I think I've already made my argument quite clear. Policing, enforcement of rules and punishment costs a lot of resources. The less we need of it, the more resources we have (in this case Apple has), to do productive things. The more people who cheat, the more policing, enforcing and punishment is required to keep any regulated activity functioning. That's why I oppose cheating.

Simple ... clear ...

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Whether shecky likes it or not he is wrong saying that what he’s doing is not illegal. It’s simple breach of contract.

His ethics are a little erratic as well as he thinks it is wrong to fake a student ID, I’m pretty sure it using the fake ID that would be illegal just as claiming to be a student in a legal binding contract without physically faking an ID card would be.

Also I thought that the ed. discounts were given as the company giving them got a tax break, in the UK anyway, so they didn’t lose out. If it’s the same in the US then you could find the scheme is killed not by Apple but by the IRS when they read in here how many people are ripping them off.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
shecky said:
using the edu discount not as a student is NOT ILLEGAL. it is NOT something you can be arrested for, it is not something you can be fined for, it is not something you can goto jail for. (If i am wrong about this by all means let me know... then i will completely recind my argument - but my understanding is that it is NOT illegal.)
Depends on whether you have to check a box that says something like "I certify that I'm a student at xx University." If you check that box, and you're not actually a student, they have every right to prosecute you under fraud statutes. While I doubt they'd go after you for this for a single purchase, you'd probably at least have to pay the difference if they found out. However, if you went and did something like trying to buy several things under educational discount and then re-sell them to make a profit, you might find out just what legal recourse a company has for prosecuting fraud.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Why are you people still going on about this, this typa thing goes on all over the place. Especially in the US.

people take advantage of the system, you would not beleive how many people i have seen on disability that have absolutely nothing wrong with them at all. My aunt for instance drives a schoolbus and she broke a finger...guess what she does not have to work for a three weeks and she still gets paid.

people take advantage of things that were made for others...like EDU discounts. Personally if i was apple i would do a background check on everyone who does the discount, if there is a single fraud i would sue them for as much as i can. But thats just me. Entering false information (or in this case lieing about being a college student or a faculty member or wutever) IS a federal offence and you can get in HUGE HUGE legal troubles. Even for a single offence.

There are many other things but i dont feel like listing them right now. This is just a few examples of how people take advantige (does women begging guys to buy them things count??) It says right on apple's terms of use that they legally CAN do a search on you and if they find you were not eligable for the discount then they CAN and WILL take legal action. Period.

Anyone who agrees to a legal document such as apple's terms of use better have something to back them up if they get a letter from apple's lawyers and did agree wrongfully.

wannamac

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2004
State College, PA
I think apple knows that people falsely use the edu discount, and that's why it is not such a great discount through their online store, because they have no verification process. On campus, however, I am required to show my student id when I order something at the MOC, and their dicounts are substantially higher. Panther for FREE, airport card for $69, etc. Even the ipod mini (although not available at this very moment) is still cheaper on campus then through the edu store. So, I don't think it is the worst thing I have ever heard of.

Also, this reminds me of my george carlin desk calander quote from Tuesday July 27 - "I think people should be allowed to do whatever they want. We haven't tried that for a while. Maybe this time it will work." ;)

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
wannamac said:
I think apple knows that people falsely use the edu discount, and that's why it is not such a great discount through their online store, because they have no verification process. On campus, however, I am required to show my student id when I order something at the MOC, and their dicounts are substantially higher. Panther for FREE, airport card for $69, etc. Even the ipod mini (although not available at this very moment) is still cheaper on campus then through the edu store. So, I don't think it is the worst thing I have ever heard of.

Also, this reminds me of my george carlin desk calander quote from Tuesday July 27 - "I think people should be allowed to do whatever they want. We haven't tried that for a while. Maybe this time it will work." ;)

Yes and the fact at campus stores and such they are cheaper. But online apple really should improve the way its done...or simply lower the discount amounts.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
NusuniAdmin said:
Yes and the fact at campus stores and such they are cheaper. But online apple really should improve the way its done...or simply lower the discount amounts.
Does this mean you suggest that Apple put a store in K-12 schools for the faculty to use, or that teachers make the trip to Cupertino to buy them from Apple? The campus stores are a great idea for colleges, but of course the discount is not soley for college students/staff/faculty, is it? Anything that hurts the chances of teachers using Apple computers at home hurts all Apple users, everywhere. Making teachers (already hideously underpaid in most places) pay more, is a Bad Thing. (No, I'm not a teacher... partly because there is no money in it)

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Dave00 said:
However, if you went and did something like trying to buy several things under educational discount and then re-sell them to make a profit, you might find out just what legal recourse a company has for prosecuting fraud.

this has already happened. physical apple stores used to offer edu. discounts for software as well as hardware by simply showing the id. however, when some idiots abused the system and started buying software at edu. prices only to sell them to others to make profit, physical apple stores quit offering discounts for anything but hardware.

as others said, cheat if you want. but don't expect others to be tolerant about it. and no comparing to speeding or jaywalking, please. :rolleyes:

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
IndyGopher said:
Does this mean you suggest that Apple put a store in K-12 schools for the faculty to use, or that teachers make the trip to Cupertino to buy them from Apple? The campus stores are a great idea for colleges, but of course the discount is not soley for college students/staff/faculty, is it? Anything that hurts the chances of teachers using Apple computers at home hurts all Apple users, everywhere. Making teachers (already hideously underpaid in most places) pay more, is a Bad Thing. (No, I'm not a teacher... partly because there is no money in it)

how did u get that out of my quote? I am really curious. I simply said online store needs a better way of verifing the person is in fact a student or faculty member.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.