Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
For those of you still in school or otherwise related to an educational institution, Apple is continuing to provide a lower-end model of the PowerMac:

733 G4
256 L2 Cache
256MB RAM
40GB HD
CD-RW
ATI Radeon 7500
$1252.00

If you drop the RAM to 128MB, and discard the 56k modem, the final cost is only $1178.

Apophe

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2002
hmmm

How does apple tell you are in school? Ordering online they just ask what school? Do they have to verify or is just saying u are good enough?

U

Unregistered

I don't think they check. I ordered my G4 533mhz, one year after I was out and got it no problem.

Onyxx

macrumors regular
May 5, 2001
nope

who ever buys that 733 is deluding themselves. there is no big deal there especially when you can get an imac with the almost the same processor (no level 3 cache in the 733!) and an lcd with a cd/rw. Or spend the extra 175 or so (educational) and pick up the new 800 with a l3 cache. The 533 was a good deal the 733 is not.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
That "education" price looks an awful lot like what CompUSA is selling off their 733's for.. so no need to taunt the Gods of Education by pretending to be a student.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
maybe not the 733....but a future G5?

I didn't even consider the option for myself.....

u know....now that I'm back in college again....

he he he.... :p

shergar

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2002
London
Originally posted by Falleron
That option does not seem to exist here in the UK??

No, I went into the Apple UK Education site, but it lists the current Apple range. Once again makes a special offer which is only available within the USA.

J

jamnetfs

Originally posted by shergar

No, I went into the Apple UK Education site, but it lists the current Apple range. Once again makes a special offer which is only available within the USA.

Apple dropped the price for the 733 in germany - for Retailer and Apple Dealers - so cool down ... :)

U

Unregistered

Display Rebate also applies to base model

One nice thing is that the Apple Display rebate applies to these
education models, too, and it's been extended to March 31st.

So you can get a 733 Quicksilver and the larger 17" LCD Studio Display for under $ 2000 - a pretty good deal.

When I ordered my Powermac from the Apple Education Store a while back, they made me fax a copy of my student ID - I forget whether they also had me fax some proof of current registration.

maiku

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2001
By the way, the new low end 800s don't have a level 3 cache either.
Just like the high end iMac.

i was gonna get the 733, but what the heck is
"configured for education only"?

And what speed is the HD? 7200?
and the CD-RW? 24x?

It's a great deal for those who need a tower (and a display bigger than 15") but can't wait for the G5.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
very nice deal....

I may have to present it to my boss..... ;)

he's been talking about eventually getting another G4 system here....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.