Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mayank18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
I am planning to buy upcoming MacBook Pro 16". I have a few questions, if any of you can answer them.
1. How much educational discount is available on MacBook Pro?
2. Will educational discount be available immediately as soon as it is released?
3. How can we order MBP using educational discount?

Reactions: 3Rock

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
I like I know the answer to that too if anybody has an answer. But in my case I’m thinking about the veterans discount if you can get that immediately on pre-order.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
I am planning to buy upcoming MacBook Pro 16". I have a few questions, if any of you can answer them.
1. How much educational discount is available on MacBook Pro?
2. Will educational discount be available immediately as soon as it is released?
3. How can we order MBP using educational discount?

1. $100 off

2. Usually is

3. From an Apple education website for your school (you pick the school)

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Here in the UK it’s 10%. Usually available immediately (last used it when M1 MBA pre-orders went up). Have to go through UNiDAYS or StudentBeans.

amack

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Ouch… I also totally forgot about that…
Good that you reminded us…
So that makes launch day delivery unlikely/more challenging if you have to wait till the website actually works…
Does the apple store app come back online quicker than the website? I suppose you mean it can take several hundred page refreshes before you can get in?

drygioni

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
Last Mac I bought, I ordered through my other half's uni educational discount. I used her VPN so ordered using my Apple ID but it recognised the HE store via their network. It looks like I can do the same by logging in to the educational store under her Unidays account and then buy the Mac using my Apple ID.

Anyone tried this? Otherwise I'll get her to order the MBP and I pay her back (or use my credit card to pay I guess).

amack

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Last Mac I bought, I ordered through my other half's uni educational discount. I used her VPN so ordered using my Apple ID but it recognised the HE store via their network. It looks like I can do the same by logging in to the educational store under her Unidays account and then buy the Mac using my Apple ID.

Anyone tried this? Otherwise I'll get her to order the MBP and I pay her back (or use my credit card to pay I guess).
I’ll be using UNiDAYS with my uni email and account but signing in to the store with my Apple ID to purchase and pay. you just use UNiDAYS as the method to verify you’re a student, after that you use whatever apple account you want to pay.

Reactions: drygioni
But the question was asked can you do it using your name App. So the answer is no you can’t use your app and either education or veterans allowance , you’ll have to use your browser.
Thank you for clarifying that. Safari is always slow during pre-order time. Way too many crashes. It's a huge risk.

Especially with my beat up Mac... yeah... not going to work, LOL!

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Safari browser during pre-order time? You are asking to get a delayed product. Since App is the fastest way?

Or are we not expecting any delays of the Macbook Pro? What is your game plan? Share some of your secret sauce, come on!
Depends if apple has their servers up to scratch, sometimes the website is faster than the app.

No plan here mate lol, waiting to see what they reveal at the event, if I’m impressed, I’ll try my luck via the education site, rather save $300-$400 even if I don’t get it on launch day.

Depends if apple has their servers up to scratch, sometimes the website is faster than the app.

No plan here mate lol, waiting to see what they reveal at the event, if I’m impressed, I’ll try my luck via the education site, rather save $300-$400 even if I don’t get it on launch day.
Almost gave me a heat attack... I thought you were about to say you are not going to pre-order it. Good to know! Hopefully we get a launch date delivery. You gotta keep in mind we are dealing with chip shortage too!

Maybe you will be granted with an Apple Manager direct phone number so you can get the education discount if it doesn't get applied.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California

Most you’ll save with EDU discount is $100. Where are you getting $300-400??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.