Educational Discount Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pengapine, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Pengapine macrumors member

Just curious...

So as the good older brother that I am, I bought my brother a 13" mbp online using his educational discount. It doesn't seem that they ask too many questions....it looks like everyone can just choose a school and then buy the laptop.

So it got me thinking, next time I get a mac...maybe my brother can get one for me :D using his educational discount. Do they ever verify anything at all?

2. greytmom, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I can't say whether they EVER do so, but I can say they've never asked me for verification.

And before someone gets all bent out of shape about me being dishonest - the first time I used the discount, I was a student myself, as well as my daughter, who still is a student.

3. dwhynman macrumors regular

I have never been checked online. they do check in store to see a school ID to get the discount. I don't really think it matters if someone gets a discount since it really only saves you the tax and you can get that same savings from many online resellers. So no one should feel bad about using the edu discount.

4. reneesees macrumors newbie

Oh geez. I think I made an educational discount mistake. I searched but did not find an answer and don't want to start another new thread on discounts drawing attention to my very real error.

I purchased a MBP last week; the school my kids attend (catholic k-12) was on the list and when it came up, the option was to "purchase for yourself." So I did.

I am a very involved volunteer at the school and have been asked to help with yearbook, website, print material etc because it is a small school & I have an art background. My current computer buckled under the photoshop load and I had been waiting for the new MBPs to come out and felt this was a perfect scenario. I wasn't even aware of the edu disc until another parent informed me, but alas I did not read the fine details....I selfishly "purchased for myself"! :(

Yesterday I began looking for Adobe software and called the 800-my-apple regarding the edu discounts and the rep read me the fine details regarding verification for the Adobe....and then casually mentioned the Apple edu disc details and my heart sank....I am not "faculty" at the k-12 school! I am a volunteer and I am on a "board" but not the PTA or PTO. I did not put it together until I hung up the phone and took the time to read the fine print.

So, I am in a dilemma and the "catholic guilt" is setting in. How long after purchase does Apple call/email to get verification?

I want to make this right. I do not want to "abuse the system" and ruin it for anyone else---I have read so many of your posts on this topic.

I am thisclose to picking up the phone and coming clean. I need to check the status to see if the computer has even been shipped! I guess if it has then they can just charge the card for the difference? Please don't flame me--I understand it was my responsibility to read the details and I did not. I am a parent and should know better!

5. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You sound like you just committed murder and want to turn yourself into the police. I don't think what you did is so terrible. Almost all the Apple stores I've been too are *very* relaxed about the ed discount.

7. reneesees macrumors newbie

That made me laugh! Yes, I do sound like I committed a serious crime in my post!

I just feel like a dumba** for not reading the fine print. And I wanted to know how to handle the verification process with Apple without sounding like a chump trying to screw the system.

8. Reticent macrumors member

Need an ID. That's it. And it doesn't just save you tax, it saves you much more (on MBP 2.2 $200 and a load off of AppleCare).

9. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I once said to an Apple store employee, "My daughter is a student and we want to use her educational discount to buy my computer." And they said, "Cool, which model were you thinking about?"

Stop worrying.