MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

United Kingdom mobile carrier EE today announced that it would begin offering free six-month Apple Music subscriptions to new and upgrading customers. The carrier says that the offer is "coming soon."

The offer is available for iPhone and Android customers starting a new monthly phone contract or SIM only plan. To take advantage of the offer, customers must add it to their account within 30 days. After the six months, customers will automatically be charged £9.99 a month unless they cancel the subscription prior to the conclusion of the free trial.

ee-apple-music.jpg

To celebrate the offer, EE also unveiled a new ad starring actor Kevin Bacon and singer Britney Spears. Bacon dances to music on the street in celebration of getting free Apple Music until Spears appears to scold him for stealing her wardrobe and listening to her older songs.

Some carriers often decide to offer customers free trials of music services like Apple Music or Spotify to attract new customers or entice current customers into switching to newer plans. Australia's Telstra was the first carrier to offer free Apple Music subscriptions last August, when it gifted free 12-month subscriptions. More recently, Telstra switched the free 12-month subscription to a free six-month subscription. Similarly, Germany's Deutsche Telekom is planning to offer its customers a free six-month subscription to Apple Music in September.

Article Link: EE to Offer Free Six-Month Apple Music Subscriptions

devinthomas

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
This Britney x Apple partnership is the stuff of my dreams. Can't wait for the festival. I'm test driving Spotify right now but I don't mind keeping both services.

Reactions: orbital~debris
Comment

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
and from their perspective a quite ingenious way of doing that too

Yep, both platforms, costs the Telcos zip and the Telcos may even get to sell higher value data packages to subscribers - and Apple puts the competition out of business, for good.

As the saying goes ... Once you get 'em out into deep water, ya' gotta' drown 'em.

Comment

fel10

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Before people start bashing Britney Spears and spelling her name wrong, even though it's all over this article. I've been a fan since day one. People might say she might not be able to sing or has no talent, but this girl has worked really hard her whole life, and has gone through some really rough ****, and one of the worst public breakdown in music history. Some people have no idea how close this girl came to death in 2007. The fact that she still here, doing what she loves really shows how strong she is. She might not be able to perform at the same level she used to, but let's give the girl a break. And even with all the fame, she still one of the sweetest and nicest people in the business. Mary J Blidge said it best, when she met Christina Aguilera who tends to be kind of a Diva. "Britney spears might not be able to sing like you, but she will go much further because she knows how to treat people".

Comment

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Given that EE have just changed their tariffs and the maximum allowance is now 40GB/month I wonder how many hours of Apple Music you'd get before you ran out of data?

One other thing that irks me (trivial, I guess...) adverts that are meant to resemble the UK but blatantly filmed abroad!

Comment

hello12

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
Apple Music could be free forever and I'd still pay for Spotify. How about instead of giving us more free months you try improving the experience?
What happened to just making great products that sold themselves?
Weird, I love the Apple Music "experience"...

Reactions: djcerla and foxcub6
Comment

dtuck90

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
I've recently left EE and gone to Vodafone. I got a years free Spotify and 4GB of data to use abroad every month. 2 things EE are unable to offer.

Comment

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Apple Music could be free forever and I'd still pay for Spotify. How about instead of giving us more free months you try improving the experience?
What happened to just making great products that sold themselves?

Have you used Apple Music in iOS 10 Beta?

By the way, what EE free months have to do with AM developement? Not to mention the fact that over 15 millions paying users are in disagreement with your view.

Comment

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Vodafone have been doing deals with bundled spotify subscriptions for a long time - this isn't anything new or special.

It would be nice if these data-heavy services were not only bundled, but the data was whitelisted so it didn't count against your data plan. That would be a decent incentive.

Also I'm annoyed because I just signed up for EE a month ago but this sounds like its for new or upgrading customers only :/

Comment

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I changed from EE to Three.
I pay a third of the amount I was paying beforehand for free 4G, Unlimited Data (down from 4GB 3G), more minutes and more texts. Even as a user of Apple Music I would never go back to EE.

Comment

orbital~debris

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Given that EE have just changed their tariffs and the maximum allowance is now 40GB/month I wonder how many hours of Apple Music you'd get before you ran out of data?

One other thing that irks me (trivial, I guess...) adverts that are meant to resemble the UK but blatantly filmed abroad!

'Abroad', as in… West Wittering beach near Chichester (for example)? :D - http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/people/hollywood-star-hits-beach-to-film-telly-advert-1-5427036

(And this latest ad was made by Saatchi & Saatchi London, so there's a good chance it was filmed there - which it looks like it may have been).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.