Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2017
Couldn´t there be 2 options, one option where it is like today where Apple also has access to a key, and the other option where only the end user has the key. That way people could choose which one they want.

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
I have unique, extremely strong passwords for dozens of sites and accounts, important ones that I try to change frequently. Unlike my avatar, I don’t have an eidetic memory nor do I have the time I would need to devote to keeping them in my memory. Especially since technology has already provided an adequate solution.
I have excellent memory, so it’s not a problem for me anyway.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I understand Apple's point of view for restoring backups, especially since they have removed the user's ability to recover files from failing hard drives with the T2 chip. If they encrypt iCloud too then a SSD failure and a forgotten password means you lose everything.

In the meantime, can't you just store anything you want encrypted in an encrypted folder?
You can’t recover files off the internal SSD with T2 even if you haven’t enabled encryption?

Nevermind. With the Mac mini, if the SSD still works but the system doesn’t, it won’t matter because the SSD is soldered in. If the SSD crashes then the data is likely unrecoverable anyways.

rom3o

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2014
Buy tomorrow's newspaper take a page with lots of text and frame it. Select an article and let's say pick sentence 15. That's your password. The "painting" on the wall won't lett you forget the password. All you have to do is remember the sentence number. Worked for me for years.
This sounds like a very reliable method indeed, but it wouldn't work for my since most systems enforce very specific password standards, e.g. must be precisely ten characters long, has to contain at least on number and one special character, must not contain any words from the blacklist (that you can't check yourself, but obviously most names are on it), must not contain more than two similar characters in succession, must not contain more than three characters in the same succession as in your last password, must be different from the last six passwords...

Therefore writing them down it is. :)

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
This sounds like a very reliable method indeed, but it wouldn't work for my since most systems enforce very specific password standards, e.g. must be precisely ten characters long, has to contain at least on number and one special character, must not contain any words from the blacklist (that you can't check yourself, but obviously most names are on it), must not contain more than two similar characters in succession, must not contain more than three characters in the same succession as in your last password, must be different from the last six passwords...

Therefore writing them down it is. :)
You can find a fitting sentence with number and symbols. I haven’t seen a website that requires a specific length of password in a very long time. I see a minimum of 8 with extra symbols usually.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I definitely agree with them.

I agree with them to the extent that it should be an option just like it’s an option when you backup via iTunes. And when one uses that option there should be a huge warning that Apple will not have access to this password, that there’s no way to reset the password etc. if you forget it and you lose data, it’s on you.
[doublepost=1551391504][/doublepost]
How does this work from a tech perspective? The data would be just one giant blob and not searchable or indexable in any way, right? If I wanted to restore anything, I'd have to restore everything?

You already have to restore everything to get anything in an iCloud backup or an iTunes backup.

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014
We should be very careful what we ask for. While I value privacy, there are legitimate reasons for someone else to have the key to our files. For example, should something happen to your spouse or parent (stroke, severe accident, etc), all their info would permanently be locked out, including all their photos. We live in an age where the photos of all our loved ones reside on our iPhones and iCloud. There must be a way to salvage them.

The first decent, well thought out rebuttal with someone thinking with common sense.

Reactions: tamaralig

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
EFF is a joke. Just a small barking dog in an ocean of issues trying to parade around like it has the best interests of people the globe over at heart. Professional groups that test security are far more valuable and effective in improving our lives.

Reactions: tamaralig

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
How does this work from a tech perspective? The data would be just one giant blob and not searchable or indexable in any way, right? If I wanted to restore anything, I'd have to restore everything?

They are talking about a mix of things which can't be encrypted end-to-end (email storage and shared photos are good examples) and a few things which are already encrypted end-to-end (iMessages).

Assuming the goal was just to encrypt more of the things which can be encrypted, you don't really have to store it any different, BUT the server cannot do things like index/search the data for you.

So say you wanted to do a text search in Notes (which I believe are already encrypted), you would either
- download all the notes and search them yourself. You'd likely create a separate table containing a search term index to be able to do this faster.
- have an encrypted document containing a search term index, created and updated peer-to-peer across devices

Photos rolled out facial recognition in this way - it was on device, it started out being a device-local index that each instance of photos had to make, but is now shared across services.

Things which are web-hosted wind up being limited typically to being readable by Apple's servers. However, you can potentially work around this via javascript (see 1Password, who does not store your password on their servers).

Of course since Apple would be serving the website and that javascript, there would be the possibility of a site or network hack to get unencrypted data while you are browsing said site.

UnusedLoginID

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
How do you restore an iCloud backup if you forgot your password? You can’t! This article is full of baloney!

tamaralig

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2014
Glad to see the EFF publicly pushing for this. Apple needs to take heed.

I want safety. I promise not to complain if I go senile and forget by password.

You won't complain but there will be masses blaming Apple from not being to get their precious pictures back that they failed to backup to a secondary means. I see it on forums now people that actually opted into 2FA get upset when they have to use Account Recovery because they no longer have a trusted phone number, then they complain how long the verification process is. Failing to read the document that says it's automated and calling Apple won't change the time. I think if people want further encryption and concerned on legally who has access to their iCloud information, just don't use it. Use iTunes, and turn on backup encryption and let the legal system send a subpoena for your whole computer and network records.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
You won't complain but there will be masses blaming Apple from not being to get their precious pictures back that they failed to backup to a secondary means. I see it on forums now people that actually opted into 2FA get upset when they have to use Account Recovery because they no longer have a trusted phone number, then they complain how long the verification process is. Failing to read the document that says it's automated and calling Apple won't change the time. I think if people want further encryption and concerned on legally who has access to their iCloud information, just don't use it. Use iTunes, and turn on backup encryption and let the legal system send a subpoena for your whole computer and network records.

You can’t avoid the issue like you suggest; it’s not just about backups. Lots of apps store information on iCloud directly.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The biggest problem is too many people are lazy. They don't use password managers, they use the same password on multiple sites, they create accounts and link them to social media, and last but not least, they expect someone else (like Apple) to protect them from themselves. Too many people are stuck on stupid.

I want end to end encryption of my iCloud account. I don't need Apple to babysit my account for me.

tamaralig

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2014
Couldn´t there be 2 options, one option where it is like today where Apple also has access to a key, and the other option where only the end user has the key. That way people could choose which one they want.
What benefit is there to Apple if they have to yet still act as a gatekeeper for an irresponsible person? If you're going to demand encryption higher than what anyone currently wants in iCloud, then that party to bear the responsibility of complete handling IMHO. If people make demands, I would give them want they want with full disclosure, "if you lose this key, you lose your data, don't file a court order because in our terms and conditions which you skipped reading, we warned you"
[doublepost=1551401884][/doublepost]
You can’t avoid the issue like you suggest; it’s not just about backups. Lots of apps store information on iCloud directly.
You are in control of what apps can use iCloud for, the setting is in your phone. And if a company isn't disclosing that it's housing it's data on iCloud in it's Terms & Conditions, that's a 3rd party company issue.
I turned off any app from directly storing in my iCloud except Apple apps with a flick of the wrist, at least for the companies that show on Settings > Name > iCloud, under my Apps that use iCloud list.

Bottom line is, if we're going to use something and want to take additional security, it's our responsibility to maintain that security. iCloud isn't forced on any one, it's one service you can opt into.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
What benefit is there to Apple if they have to yet still act as a gatekeeper for an irresponsible person? If you're going to demand encryption higher than what anyone currently wants in iCloud, then that party to bear the responsibility of complete handling IMHO. If people make demands, I would give them want they want with full disclosure, "if you lose this key, you lose your data, don't file a court order because in our terms and conditions which you skipped reading, we warned you"
[doublepost=1551401884][/doublepost]
You are in control of what apps can use iCloud for, the setting is in your phone. And if a company isn't disclosing that it's housing it's data on iCloud in it's Terms & Conditions, that's a 3rd party company issue.
I turned off any app from directly storing in my iCloud except Apple apps with a flick of the wrist, at least for the companies that show on Settings > Name > iCloud, under my Apps that use iCloud list.

Bottom line is, if we're going to use something and want to take additional security, it's our responsibility to maintain that security. iCloud isn't forced on any one, it's one service you can opt into.
Yes, you can prevent iCloud access in apps, but often that means the apps won’t function fully, and you won’t be able to automatically sync data between devices, etc. So my iPad can’t see the information i just saved on my iPhone when i turn off iCloud for that app.

Why not just offer a switch to encrypt iCloud, complete with all the necessary warnings and confirmations, and leave it up to the users?

tamaralig

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2014
This is just one issue that gets me totally hyped up. We as people steady want someone else to be responsible for our security. Everything we do is optional down to choosing to even put any phone in our pockets or use any cloud storage. Make demands across the board if you will.

I feel like my passwords are mines, if I create it, I'm responsible for it. My backups are mines, I can choose to go cloud with it or store it locally on my computer. I also know if I forget a password to unlock that encrypted backup, I'm at a loss. I accept responsibility for my actions and choices. People that are living in fear of law enforcement using your data on your phone, cloud storage, local computer against you, get your life right...that part you're in control of.
[doublepost=1551402670][/doublepost]
Yes, you can prevent iCloud access in apps, but often that means the apps won’t function fully, and you won’t be able to automatically sync data between devices, etc. So my iPad can’t see the information i just saved on my iPhone when i turn off iCloud for that app.

Why not just offer a switch to encrypt iCloud, complete with all the necessary warnings and confirmations, and leave it up to the users?
For a company to choose to do that, that means they are also adding on additional cost, people already complain that 5GB isn't enough. Just imagine the cost absorption for that level of coding and encryption to be implemented, the cost gets passed on to someone to turn a profit.
Think along these lines, people used to get upset when they turned on encrypted backups in iTunes, it warns to write it down, it's only a code you know. But lets say year over year they backed up and then moved to a new computer or tried to restore the phone from a backup, the backup password is in the wind. They want someone to undo it and salvage their data. They don't want to hear, you "opted" into this, we didn't force your hand to do it and therefore we're not helping you.
If Apple can do it, at a feasible cost, more power to them, the bottom line is, some are demanding it happen and not fully thinking out the implementation or consequences, all for the sake of saying it was done.

You're right about some apps not being able to keep your data in sync if you turn off iCloud, that's what the App developer coded in their app for you to use. It should be up to the developer to offer a choice, iCloud or local syncing, i.e. Airdrop the content instead. Yeah more leg work, but you're still in control. Half the apps I have on my iPhone, I don't use on my iPad and for the ones I do, looking through my list, they are Apple apps, that I'm not just using there, I'm using on my Macs also. I have it set up like I want it, with the understanding of how it flows, if I lose my passwords I'm up a creek and I won't go picking up the phone to call Apple demanding to have them undo it.

Mainly what I'm getting at, there's some of us, that can say yes give us end to end encryption with us retaining the keys, and fully understand how it works and who controls access to the data at that point. But then there's the other half, that will say "Apple why don't you have the ability to unlock this, you mean I have to lose years of files because of my own incompetence"?

Last edited:
Reactions: boo-boo-butt

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
You are too much relying on "common knowledge" or responsibility the usual user is capable, "charging" on his/her own shoulders....

Too many of them are not really knowing, what they are doing.
Who cares? They do this on macOS already with time machine backups. You can choose to encrypt them or not.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I want safety. I promise not to complain if I go senile and forget by password.
And one day you go senile and forget your password, and your promise not to go senile and forget your password.
[doublepost=1551431622][/doublepost]
Everything on your iPhone is encrypted. And still it's searchable and indexable and everything. Without the right key it's just a giant glob and not good for anything. With the right key it's all there.
[doublepost=1551431816][/doublepost]
For a company to choose to do that, that means they are also adding on additional cost, people already complain that 5GB isn't enough. Just imagine the cost absorption for that level of coding and encryption to be implemented, the cost gets passed on to someone to turn a profit.
If people complain that 5GB free storage is not enough, they can get 50GB for less than a dollar a month. And the cost of coding and encryption? Whatever it costs (and it's not _that_ much) is divided by hundreds of millions of customers.
[doublepost=1551431948][/doublepost]
And if on a Samsung phone they can restore all their data (with everyone else and his dog also able to restore their data), what is their next phone going to be? Apple doesn't want to be right, they want to sell.

ulyssesric

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2006
Does that mean you are going to remember not one password but two, and if you forget any of these two you’re screwed?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Apple can provide iCloud information that includes name, address, email, mail logs with date/time stamps, photos, Safari browsing history, iMessages, and more, with full details outlined by Apple on its privacy site.

I feel deluded... I thought iMesseages were "end-to-end" encrypted?
Browsing history? thats a very bad one.
Do they also keep a storage of emails from different services I uses on Apple Mail app?

They can always give a full encryption option in the settings. At the responsibility of the user, and keep the defaults as is.

Napalm Doctor

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2015
Canada
I say yes and no. right now the fact that Apple doesn't make iCloud backup not totally encrypted is probably one of the reason why some governments havent forced Apple to put a lit backdoor in iCloud. You can still do encrypted backups on your Mac and there is no backdoor officially in iCloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.