EFI update issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SangYuP, Sep 14, 2011.

1. SangYuP macrumors newbie

I just manually updated my 2011 mbp with the new EPI firmware 2.2. It started out fine rebooted and I saw the grey screen with the progress meter. I left and came back to my mbp with the screen off/blank and the fans blowing at full speed and the keyboard backlit turned off. I waited 10 more minutes with no change so I turned it off and back on and same thing with the blank screen and loud fans. I turned it off and on several more times until it finally did turn on and booted into Lion. Now the white light on the right front of the mbp only turns on for 1-2 seconds on boot and turns off. I could have sworn the white light stayed on at all times unless the mbp was off or slow flashing when in standby. Also, on the update page it says my Boot rom should be: MBP81.88Z.0047.B1E.1109091244 but mine is only: MBP81.88Z.0047.B1E. Did I mess up my mbp? Can anyone who upgraded confirm the boot rom version? Also, what's worng with my white light??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. nicklad, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

nicklad macrumors 6502

3. killerrobot, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Also make sure to keep it plugged-in during the EFI updates because it will stall out like before off the battery.

EDIT: Mine is still on EFI 2.1 (MBP81.0047.B0E) and nothing is showing up under the software update. The white light stays off until the screen/system goes to sleep then it starts flashing.

4. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I haven't updated yet but mine is currently off and does the slow flash when sleeping. I thought it used to be on also, but maybe it is when it is sleeping as the screen is off, but not closed to let you know it is on.

5. SangYuP thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everyone's suggestion. I tried resetting the PRAM but that did not help. After more troubleshooting, this is what's happening:

When I power on my mbp, the white LED light comes on and after a fews seconds the fans blow at max speed. I don't hear the HDD or the cdrom sound. I can do this multiple times and eventually it will power on and boot into Lion but most of the time it doesn't boot and just the fans come on. When it does come on I can hear the HDD and cdrom spin up and the display turns on. This happens on battery power and ac power. I tried to reapply the firmware update when it finally booted but when I try to run it, it says that this is not compatible with this system and will not continue. I'm a little upset because this mbp is less than 1 month old and barely used.

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Usually if a firmware fails it won't boot up and you have to reset the pram and then it will automatically start again. It seems weird that you don't have the last 1109091244 on the boot ROM but I can't imagine it would only do a partial EFI update and then start-up. :confused:

Perhaps a call into Tech Support might be worth it on this issue though, especially since your running into the problems you described. :(

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Maybe this will help: :apple: Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

9. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

The update just showed up on my mbp and installed it. The boot ROM now says MBP81.0047.B1E in the System Information so it looks to have installed the 2.2 EFI. That isn't the number listed on the update page either so I'm guessing the numbers are going to vary based on the machine's system configuration???

I've got a 2.2 i7 15" HR, FWIW.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Mine says the same thing (MBP81.0047.B1E) so that's normal.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just did the update via Software Update.app and it shows the same string you have.

And my LED only shows up for a few seconds on boot and shuts off afterwards. It's always been like that.

I think your computer is fine.

12. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1450

It's a little weird that we have something different than what's on their official page and what the OP has don't you think? That's why I guessing it depends on your system's configuration???

13. alFR macrumors 68020

We don't: see attached grab from the Apple page you linked to.

Attached Files:

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Apple's updated the page; it had the longer string there earlier (but now I see the same thing that you do).

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's weird, because right now it shows the longer string for me:
    Screen shot 2011-09-15 at 5.42.09 AM.png

Since I didn't view the link before, it couldn't have been a cached version.

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That's very odd, although it could be cached at your ISP's end.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How would that work? If I understand what you're saying (it's late here, so I may have missed it), that brings up a question. How can an ISP cache sites that a subscriber hasn't yet visited? That would suggest that if my ISP cached a web page, that when I go to visit the page, my browser is delivered the ISP's cached version, rather than the current version. I've never heard of such a thing, and if it's possible, it's completely unacceptable, in terms of internet service.

18. louis.frankland macrumors newbie

louis.frankland

Same Issue

I have the same issue but I updated using the built in software updater.

My Macbook Pro (early 2011) is now bricked :-( No boot screen, no startup sound, just spinning fans with a cold processor (no heat at all)

I have tried resetting PRAM but you don't even get that far. You hold it down and the fans spin up to full pelt and nothing happens.

I have also reset the SMC.

Guess its off to the Apple Store for me!

19. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

See this: The Internet Protocol Journal - Volume 2, No. 3 - Web Caching

20. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

As DewGuy1999's link also describes, some providers have gone to this sort of system to improve delivery speeds to their members. The proxy would store a link for a set amount of time to be passed on to all searching for that subject/ link. After the preset time period has expired the link would be refreshed upon the next search. It is no different than the way that DNS reservations are handled. It is entirely possible that the if they (Apple) updated the information on a new page and then updated the DNS pointers (rather than the page's information) and your ISP's DNS server had the older information stored you could be directed to the outdated information instead of the newer information.

21. ivsetiaw macrumors newbie

I have also a problem after I finished updating my 10.6.8 MBP through Apple Software Update. In boot time, I heard few sounds and the screen flickered a few times. Is this normal? Then when I was in desktop screen, my system suddenly hanged after I opened up iTunes. Now, I just restarted my MBP, and now everything seems fine already. Btw, my Boot ROM Version is MBP81.0047.B0E after the update, which is different than what Apple tells us. Anyone can confirm this in their 10.6.8 system?

22. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Yeah, mine got absolutely fried, as well. Booted back up, but re-enabled my password (I had removed my password earlier this week for testing some things). Not using a password failed, every password I've ever used in my life failed....thank god I had shut off FileVault last week and cloned my drive a couple days ago. Someone in engineering failed to do a very in-depth QA check on this EFI update.

23. SangYuP thread starter macrumors newbie

I wanted to post an update regarding my situation. I ended up calling apple last night and did some troubleshooting (reset SMC) but to no avail. I'm assuming since my mbp was less than a month old, they deemed it DOA and now they are in the process of sending me a brand new unit.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

25. lynxdeb macrumors member