Either Intel pushing Apple drop FW, or someone a MORON!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PracticalMac, Oct 20, 2009.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

After all the firestorm when they dropped FB for the uniMB, Apple does it again.

There is no doubt Apple continued the PolyMB to satisfy those who needed FW (why else keep it when the uniMB was release?)

Then they upgraded the Poly, and put FW800 into the UniMB, now 13"MPB

Sales of Apple laptops GREW STRONGLY since the 13"MBP was introduced (I cannot find that telling graph :( ).

And now they take it out again.

It must be Intel trying to get Apple to dump its competing FireWire, because I cannot believe Apple is that mindless.

(no graph, but...)
    CNET reported in mid 2009, just after the new 13" MBP with FW was introduced was in short supply.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10281042-37.html

Clearly, FireWire is a big selling point in the Mac community.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Well we all need reasons to spend $200 more for a backlit keyboard and some metal.

3. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Macbooks were always the "consumer" line and the Macbook Pro's are the "professional" line. The Firewire is probably the main difference between the 2 lines. If you want firewire, get the 13 inch pro. How many threads are we going to have on this again? :rolleyes:

4. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Um, enough to realize that a <$30 part is a silly differentiator between "consumer" and "pro" lines? :rolleyes: (And that Apple simply wants to move a percentage of its customer base to higher margin products?)

5. acurafan macrumors 6502a

ok, here we go again with the elitist 'pro' camp coming out of the woodwork...someone got jealous on another thread b/c the new MB had a higher hdd then the base MBP.

apple, if you're going to take away FW, at least add another USB port.

6. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

I'm with the guy above me. The thing is, consumer devices have almost entirely dropped FW over the last couple of years. You can still find HDD's and some camcorders in the mid to high range, but otherwise, you're looking at USB. Devices that still commonly use FW are not targeted at your average Joe.

Would I ever consider buying a laptop that doesn't have FireWire? Not until I upgrade my gear. However, I make a lot of money using FireWire, and the devices I buy that need it cost me quite a bit. The applications that I use those devices in conjunction with would be less then satisfying on the Polycarbonate MacBook.

In Apple's history, consumer level products (traditionally) lead the way in dropping ports, while professional level devices often lead the way in adding features. If most consumer level products lack FireWire, it is no stretch for Apple to drop it in their consumer notebook.

I can understand your frustration, but realize, Apple did this with the serial port, floppy drives, and ps/2 connectors. It's bound to happen at some point.

EDIT: This is the quote I was agreeing with... I just spent more time typing then the other guys.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And, while not confirmed and mostly suspected, a superior screen. That alone is worth $200. I would know.

8. John585 macrumors member

They could have just left in the FW 400 but then how much different would that be compared to USB 2

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

if anything this move should just clarify that apple wants FW for the pro models and not the low end.

"They could have just left in the FW 400 but then how much different would that be compared to USB 2"

Why would apple want to still have to pay for those components when they are only used in one device? That doesn't make much sense when trying to streamline your manufacturing process as apple always is doing.

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense when a lot of low-end camcorders use FW, as well as a large amount of external HDD's.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm just puzzled why Apple doesn't just use the 13" MacBook Pro logic board in the MacBook now. It'd be cheaper. :confused:

12. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

That's not the only difference :rolleyes:

I agree. so did people complain like this when the floppy drives were dropped?

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

yeah, but there's no reason that I should be forced to spend $300 for a new camcorder or $200 for a Macbook Pro. It just aggrivates me that there's no eSata ports, they're dropping firewire, it's like Apple wants us to use wireless or USB or nothing.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sure it does, you want to use them AND have a mac, spend some more cash. Makes plenty of sense seeing as for your average consumer FW is not a deal-breaker (assuming they even know what the hell it is).

I'm not saying its good for consumers, but i highly doubt its going to hurt apple significantly at all.

On that note, does anyone know where I can get a cheap 2.5" SATA enclosure that uses just FW800? Incredibly hard to find even with google :eek: I'd be willing to get one that does usb also, but id prefer just FW.

Edit: and to the eSata people, I've always viewed it as the awkward transitional connection just holding on until others finally come to the market.

15. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Working for a university, I can tell you that almost 95% of the people who have MacBooks don't even know what FireWire is. The only people who do (or use it) are the geeks. Like us, here on this site. That's the reason why Apple left FireWire to the MacBook Pros. Because the people who need FireWire are the same people who would get a Pro.

16. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

Maybe in the past, but today, most consumer level camcorders are using solid state memory. In the past, nearly every camcorder used FW, but USB is quickly passing it up.

I think "large" amount is stretching it some. I spent thirty minutes in a major consumer electronics chain the other day, and I found four external HDDs that used FW. This compared to a couple hundred USB and eSATA varieties. FW drives may offer you a superior experience; the argument of ubiquity lies in favor of USB.

EDIT:
    Oh yeah, like they were being forced to give up an internal organ.

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I understand Apple needs to make money, but to remove a feature such as FW makes no sense at all unless Apple is trying to force you to upgrade to a MBP. I just don't think that's right.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well, thats what they are doing, the funny thing is no one is holding a gun to peoples heads to make them buy one.

Right/wrong, its a corporation, they don't care, be glad they aren't selling poison milk to school children for profit.

19. patrixl macrumors regular

I've never used Firewire in my life, I was actually leaning towards a Pro for my next Macbook but now it's all up in the air (hmm Air?.. hmmmm)

Anyways this 3 year old MB of mine still has life in it, I won't give it up yet I think.

Heck for 70$ I can "upgrade" it to have multitouch, not bad!

Patrix.

20. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It amazes me that people know this, and yet they accept it like it's just part of life that you can't change. So they try and explain it like a good thing...

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How did I say its a good thing? I merely recognize its reality. Anything driven solely by capitalism will never do whats in the best interest of the people.

Again, how did I put that in a positive light at all? It just is what it is.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Since the poly MacBook is aimed at entry and education, these are consumers who generally aren't spending much money of FW capable equipment either.

When you are buying on a thin budget, you sure aren't going to be spending money splurging on high end equipment. Even if you are a school, there sure isn't a need for 100% of the students to be able to use that camera ... 1-10 cameras, and a couple computers capable of download would suffice.

If you really need FW, you'll spend the extra $200 to get it.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That was my thinking. Plus, I'm actually having a hard time finding what I want for external storage that uses FW800.:(

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It is there, you just have to pay the extra $50 (SWAG) to get it, or hunt down a case and build it yourself.

Anyhow, the controllers since FW800 were never up to snuff, the current one I have hates the current OS ... and cannot stay plugged in without fouling the error log, and there is no driver update available.

25. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Perhaps not the exact meaning you meant to get across, but at the very least it was an attempt to justify it in my eyes. No offense to you or anything...