Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
So ever since I upgraded from 10.8.5 to the 10.9 GM any external hard disk or flash drive take too long to eject. I'm sure it's not the drives because I've tested the same one on different laptpops on 10.9 and 10.8 but they eject within a second or two. I even timed it to show you I'm not being paranoid. I've tried USB 2.0, 3.0 and Thunderbolt drives.

Is anyone having this issue and does anyone know how to fix it? I would rather avoid having to do a clean install. I'm using a mid 2012 MBA.

Attachments

• 2013-10-17 23.24.56.png
    2013-10-17 23.24.56.png
    120 KB · Views: 766

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
So I did a clean install of Mavericks but the problem has persisted.

I also noticed that when I go to erase a USB drive in Disk Utility I get an error saying it can't unmount the drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The extra time for dismounting drives may have to do with the way file caching works in 10.9.

What's the full error you get when you try and erase a USB drive? Something probably has files open on the disk which would prevent unmounting. The spotlight database is probably open on the USB disk and that could be what Disk Utility is tripping over in 10.9. If so this is a change form 10.8 behavior.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
The extra time for dismounting drives may have to do with the way file caching works in 10.9.

What's the full error you get when you try and erase a USB drive? Something probably has files open on the disk which would prevent unmounting. The spotlight database is probably open on the USB disk and that could be what Disk Utility is tripping over in 10.9. If so this is a change form 10.8 behavior.

I've tried 2 flash drives and a hard disk and they all eject in 1-2 secs max on my friends Air with the same hardware. Same thing with formatting, it works fine on his.

Even after formatting a flash drive and it's completely empty, there's a delay in ejecting it. That makes no sense to me :confused:

Here's the error
Screenshot 2013-10-27 13.48.49.png

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I've tried 2 flash drives and a hard disk and they all eject in 1-2 secs max on my friends Air with the same hardware. Same thing with formatting, it works fine on his.

Even after formatting a flash drive and it's completely empty, there's a delay in ejecting it. That makes no sense to me :confused:

Here's the error
View attachment 443639
When you did a clean install of Mavericks, was that with no data migration or installation of any apps? If not, you may have an app that is doing something odd on your system, or a system setting got mangled in the migration.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
When you did a clean install of Mavericks, was that with no data migration or installation of any apps? If not, you may have an app that is doing something odd on your system, or a system setting got mangled in the migration.

I started out completely fresh and manually reinstalled everything.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I started out completely fresh and manually reinstalled everything.
I suggest you start completely fresh and test after each step to see if you can figure out what software is causing the issue. It sounds like something you've installed may be an issue.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I suggest you start completely fresh and test after each step to see if you can figure out what software is causing the issue. It sounds like something you've installed may be an issue.

I just checked my apps and the only one I could see causing this was OmniDiskSweeper. I deleted it and restarted and the problem seems to have gone away. I will keep checking throughout the day to make sure that's what was causing it.

Thanks for the help

dperel15

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2013
im getting the exact same problem...was running developer previews and GM, finally decided to do a clean install and reinstall all my apps fresh and the problem persists. i don't have omnidisksweeper though....

my battery life isn't very good neither. i do not run crazy apps and am only getting 7-9 hours battery life.

Benjamin99

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
My drives also take a long time to eject. This has changed since I installed 10.9, I'd say about twice as long as before. This behavior on my iMac and rMBP both with 10.9. I also notice that it takes longer for a disc to eject from the optical drive on my iMac than before.

chadvonnau

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
I'm getting the same thing in Mavericks 10.9.0 on a new rMBP. Both external disks and disk images are taking a long time to eject. ~5-10 seconds.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
My drives also take a long time to eject. This has changed since I installed 10.9, I'd say about twice as long as before. This behavior on my iMac and rMBP both with 10.9. I also notice that it takes longer for a disc to eject from the optical drive on my iMac than before.

im getting the exact same problem...was running developer previews and GM, finally decided to do a clean install and reinstall all my apps fresh and the problem persists. i don't have omnidisksweeper though....

my battery life isn't very good neither. i do not run crazy apps and am only getting 7-9 hours battery life.

I'm getting the same thing in Mavericks 10.9.0 on a new rMBP. Both external disks and disk images are taking a long time to eject. ~5-10 seconds.

I'm still getting it so it wasn't that app. I'm not sure what to do because I already tried a fresh install.

vrsnake

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2010
NYC
I'm also having this problem since installing Mavericks, and I'm at 10.9.1 now with same issue. Has no one found an answer? Happens on both real external drives & DMGs.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
After reading this thread I ran some tests for myself.
System is a 2012 mini running OS X 10.9.1

Unmounting disk images is instantaneous
Unmounting USB thumb drives, almost instantaneous, like 1 or 2 seconds.

I cannot offer any explanation for this which might be of help to you.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
I wonder if there's a process that is using the external drive.

What you could do, is open a terminal and type "mount" to see what volumes are mounted. The last line is usually your external drive. Use the lsof command, and as the parameter, use the path to the external drive.

For example on my system, I just inserted a Kingston 16 GB stick, and viewed its contents in Finder. Then I opened a file with TextEdit.

Now in terminal:

Code:
 $ mount
 /dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)
 devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)
 map -hosts on /net (autofs, nosuid, automounted, nobrowse) 
 map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)
 /dev/disk1s1 on /Volumes/MUSIC (msdos, local, nodev, nosuid, noowners)
 /dev/disk2s1 on /Volumes/NO NAME (msdos, local, nodev, nosuid, noowners)

Now use lsof to find any processes that have opened files on the drive. Use double quotes if the path contains a space or something.

Code:
 $ lsof "/Volumes/NO NAME"
 COMMAND PID   USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
 Finder  213 bartvk   15r   REG    1,7     1021  179 /Volumes/NO NAME/boot.ini

As you see, it's not totally accurate because instead of TextEdit, it'll say Finder. Note that if lsof doesn't show output, then no process has opened anything on the volume.

vrsnake

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2010
NYC
Hi cerberusss, The output of mount for the drive I was testing was:
Code:
[B]/dev/disk7s2 on /Volumes/ccSys (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, journaled, noowners)[/B]
But unfortunately their was no output from the command lsof "/Volumes/ccSys" either just before, or during, the ejecting of ccSys.

Any other ideas?

riinspace

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
I'm also having this problem since the upgrade to Mavericks a couple of months ago. And I don't find any processes trying to access the external drive either.

btw, the drive still ejects as swiftly as always on Macs with older systems.

Getting a little tired of this now, since I actually have to go through this process like twenty times a day. And there is quite a difference between 0.5 secs and 10 secs … like 20 times … at least.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'm also having this problem since the upgrade to Mavericks a couple of months ago. And I don't find any processes trying to access the external drive either.

btw, the drive still ejects as swiftly as always on Macs with older systems.

Getting a little tired of this now, since I actually have to go through this process like twenty times a day. And there is quite a difference between 0.5 secs and 10 secs … like 20 times … at least.

If you find a solution please post back.

blackboxxx

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
I'm getting the same issue here on 2009 13" MBP (10.9.1, updated from 10.8.5).
Physical drives and disk images take exactly 10 seconds to eject. Neither filesystem (HFS+ or FAT32) makes a difference, nor the size of the drive (1 MB disk image vs. 2 TB external drive).
Even read-only disk images (like software downloads) that shouldn't have any caches or spotlight databases to update take the same 10 seconds.

Since the delay is always the same, I guess the system waits for something before giving up after 10 second timeout. If only we knew what that something was...

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'm getting the same issue here on 2009 13" MBP (10.9.1, updated from 10.8.5).

Physical drives and disk images take exactly 10 seconds to eject. Neither filesystem (HFS+ or FAT32) makes a difference, nor the size of the drive (1 MB disk image vs. 2 TB external drive).

Even read-only disk images (like software downloads) that shouldn't have any caches or spotlight databases to update take the same 10 seconds.

Since the delay is always the same, I guess the system waits for something before giving up after 10 second timeout. If only we knew what that something was...

It's a really weird and annoying bug.

blackboxxx

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
I accidentally fixed this problem on my system. I was comparing the contents of system folders with a fresh install of 10.9.2 and deleting old files that were left over from previous upgrades. Then a couple of days later I noticed that the hard drives, USB sticks and disk images now eject much faster instead of taking 10 seconds.

One of the files was /etc/authorization.deprecated. When performing an upgrade, Mavericks installer renames authorization to authorization.deprecated.
However, this file is not present in a fresh install, so it should be safe to delete (or at least to rename/move aside temporarily).

I'm not 100% sure that it's the file responsible for eject delays, so please give it a try and tell us if it works.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
one of many issues i've been encountering with Mavericks on my 2011 MBA

10-15seconds to eject USB disks. Even ones that I only had plugged in to wipe clean.

10seconds isn't Terrible. But it seems like a weird unreasonable time to just boot a USB stick out.

jaxparo

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013
Eject Slow FIXED, Faster Eject Solution

I accidentally fixed this problem on my system. I was comparing the contents of system folders with a fresh install of 10.9.2 and deleting old files that were left over from previous upgrades. Then a couple of days later I noticed that the hard drives, USB sticks and disk images now eject much faster instead of taking 10 seconds.

One of the files was /etc/authorization.deprecated. When performing an upgrade, Mavericks installer renames authorization to authorization.deprecated.
However, this file is not present in a fresh install, so it should be safe to delete (or at least to rename/move aside temporarily).

I'm not 100% sure that it's the file responsible for eject delays, so please give it a try and tell us if it works.

I have an upgraded 10.8.5->10.9.1 MacPro 1,1 with 2,1 firmware & CPUs which has the "/etc/authorization" file which does NOT say "authorization.depricated". I assume this is because I installed using SFOTT perhaps? I made a copy of this file for safe keeping, and deleted it. Voilà! You are CORRECT, external drives now eject instantly! (without a reboot, simply by moving /etc/authorization to the Trash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.