El Capital Boot Time 2'30"?!

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by laonikoss, Mar 30, 2016.

1. laonikoss macrumors newbie

laonikoss

-- Late 2008 Aluminum full-Body Macbook (13"), with 8GB ram and over 25GB free space --

I updated to El Capitan a while ago, and everything works fine.

My only concern is booting time - I like the fact that now there's a load-bar on boot, under the Apple sign, but I noticed it takes considerably longer to boot than any of my previous installations.

From the moment I hear the "ZZ ZZ" sound (from the CD drive), it takes 10 seconds for the Mac sign to appear (that's because I have windows dual-boot with rEFInd). From the moment the Apple sign appears, the load bar takes over 90 seconds until the log-on screen appears.

From log-on until I can function within the environment (i.e. the mac-bar appears and I can actually click it without the spinning wheel) it takes a further 20-30 seconds.

Total boot time, from the ZZ-ZZ sound until I can click, over 2 minutes 30 seconds.

As far as I can remember, no previous installations too THAT long. Some longer than others, but I was very proud my mac (unlike windows) would boot in approx. 30 seconds from power-on to use.

Is this normal with my mac and el capitan? Can I do something to make it faster? I've tried repairing disks, choosing the mac drive in "startup disk" (system preferences) and rebooting with it, I've tried repairing permissions, resetting PRAM/SMC, but these don't seem to affect boot time that much (if at all).

2. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

I'd start by booting in verbose mode and see if there are clues...

(re)start your mac and immediately type "command-v".

3. laonikoss thread starter macrumors newbie

laonikoss

Thanks for the suggestion, here's what came up:

First time I did that, fsck_hfs took 20 seconds, the second time I rebooted in verbose it went in a flash. Not sure if it's relevant.

"Interface snapshots is missing" was an error I got both times, not sure if that's normal.

I get a couple of "no such file" (/etc/rc.server and /etc/rc.installed_cleanup), some "Unexpected payload found for message" notices,

Anything in particular I should be looking for?

4. pedrom Suspended

If you have filevault enabled, one of the drawbacks (the only one) is taking a bit more time to boot.

5. laonikoss thread starter macrumors newbie

laonikoss

6. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Download and run "EtreCheck", this free little utility gives up a ton of information on your system and is a valuable asset when troubleshooting any problems.