Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Helmer77

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2015
Yes correct completely screwed up my mail too. It does not organise by conversation for all mail, only a few, What in the world went wrong with Mail??

Queen6

macrumors G4
The Update to 10.11 killed my email on Apple`s own "Mail" alongside other Apple related bugs. 2 clean installs later 10.11.1 seemed to fix mail, equally brought several more issues. Clean install back to 10.10.5 all is well, same hardware, same applications, same setting & parameters zero issues?

All on a 2014 13" 2.8Ghz, 512 SSD rMBP, simply a "poor show" on Apple`s behalf, nothing more nothing less...

Q-6

Reactions: George Dawes

SamAshleyBlogs

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
When I chatted with Apple Support, they suggested I reinstall El Capitan, which of course did nothing. But fortunately, someone on the Apple Support forums had a solution. This completely worked for me and hopefully it will work for others who are having this problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/29120087?ac_cid=op123456#29120087

Step 1 is the only one I needed to do and then the problem was solved.
Yeaaah, this didn't work for me. I'm at my whit's end here. Nothing is working.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Mail is working fine in my MacBook Pro, three accounts configured, including gmail ...
But it is the only app that sometimes (not too often) crashes on my notebook.

Paulsc

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2015
I've had all sorts of mail problems since upgrading to El Capitan about a week ago (mid-December 2015). I normally wait a long while before upgrading OS X to let a few rounds of bug fixes happen. Wish now that I'd stayed with Yosemite.

A lot of the problems I'm having seem to be similar to the problems people have with Exchange Servers and El Capitan Mail, but I just have two generic IMAP accounts.

Currently, everything is working fine with Mail, except that it freezes about every ten minutes and presents a modal dialog offering me the choice of 'quit' or 'quit and rebuild mail index'.

One interesting mystery was that my drive kept filling up. I was desperately trying to figure out what I could delete, but as soon as I made some free space, the drive quickly filled back up again.

I eventually figured out that Mail is filling up all the free space with its logs. Go to 'Connection Doctor' in the 'Windows' menu, and click the 'Show Logs' button. I had 110GB (!!!) of zipped mail logs there, all of which had collected in about three days.

So, if you're having slowdowns and losing drive space, it could be because of Mail logs. Check that folder and see what's in there. Some of those files are small, just a few kb, and some are multi-gig.

Every so often, Mail zips these log files, further hogging the processor to compress multi-gigs of data. In another forum, I saw a suggestion to change the permissions on the log folder to make it read-only. That does stop the logs and doesn't seem to cause any new problems, but for me the permissions keep reverting back as I've been messing with things.

Notice that in the Connection Doctor window you can disable logs — only the button doesn't work. Mail keeps writing those log files whether or not the button is checked.

Another thing to watch for — most of you who have been having trouble with Mail already know this, but see if 'automatically detect and maintain account settings' is checked under 'advanced' in your settings for each mail account. If this is checked, Mail may do things like change port numbers and security settings behind your back. You may have entered the correct settings, but then Mail changed and broke them.

I'm now using Thunderbird. When I upgraded to Yosemite I also had pretty bad mail problems, but not nearly as bad as this. As much as I like Apple Mail, after two frustrating rounds of OS X updates, I'm jumping ship.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Anyone figured out a fix? With the last update I now can get Mail to stay open for about 30 seconds before closing.

PS - I hate Thunderbird.

I gave up, not wanting to waste anymore time on a broken product, reverting to 10.10.5 End Q-2 latest I will update our hardware (buisness) nor is it likely to be Apple, as OS X is just becoming a "crapshoot" depending on your hardware & software. Updating the desktop OS every 12 months is simply unnecessary, however Apple is now so invested in IOS, that OS X is simply sidelined or viewed as an appendage, ever more following the mobile OS. Anyone relying on Mac`s for a living will agree stability of the OS is paramount, not "bells & whistles"

Windows 10 is far from perfect, equally email, Wi-Fi, PDF documents pose no issue, nor should they do on any operating system. Apple has few if any excuses, as they have complete control over both the hardware & software environments...

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.