electric short sound from screen

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by oftheheavens, May 1, 2015.

1. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

Not here to start some dumb thread, the watch still works just wanted to put this out there.

I just raised my watch to check the time, it is early and very quiet in my house at the time. The screen came on, I heard a very clear electrical short sound and my screen immediately went back off. I almost thought I was hearing things but worried I gave it a shake and it came right back on. It was very clearly from the watch though, anyone else hear this and just thought they were crazy?

2. oftheheavens thread starter macrumors 68000

This has gotten a bit louder almost every time I raise the screen (at least when I'm in a quiet enough spot to hear it)

Can any one else tell me if they hear this?

3. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

video of sound. just got my watch, nothing is wrong with it

4. oftheheavens thread starter macrumors 68000

I'll try tomorrow. Just raise and lower a few times in a silent room and the sound I'm talking about is right when the screen "flickers" on or whatever. The split second the screen comes on.

5. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I do hear something at the instant the screen comes on... there is a sortof "click", like the speaker resetting or something. It is very subtle and I guess I might describe it as electrical. I assumed it was just the screen powering on... it is very quiet on mine. How easily can you hear it?

6. BrainZ macrumors newbie

I've noticed a similar sound and attributed it to the speaker. Almost like the static pop when you plug in a headphone cable. There's two distinct levels of the sound, one very faint, the other loud enough I came to the forums looking for discussion about it. For me it happens every 3rd-8th time the screen turns on (I sat for a while turning my wrist towards and away from me for longer than I care to admit), and it is semi-repeatable in that sense.

I'm fairly certain it's the speaker as now that I'm in do-not-disturb, and silent, there's no sound when the screen comes on.

Edit: Scratch that, just made the sound again as I refreshed the post.

7. cygy2k macrumors member

Anybody else got this? Mine will do it a few times a day.

8. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Can confirm, mine does this as well.

9. Seekeroftruth macrumors member

Mine does this as well. It's loud enough that I can hear it throughout my day. Everything seems to be working, I may wait untill the stores have warranty replacements in stock before taking it in.

10. nickd3000 macrumors newbie

I can confirm mine does this too - It happens when the screen turns on and is usually quite faint but every so often its quite a loud "pop".

I came searching through the forums to see if anyone else was hearing it.

It does *sound* like a an electrical short or static pop to me but I'm pretty sure it's just the speaker initialising or something to do with the screen. I was surprised to find out you can hear the touch ID on the phone if you put it close to your ear so maybe the screen can make some unexpected noises too. I'm sure we'll find out soon, although it doesn't really bother me, Apple is good at replacing stuff if it turns out to be something bad.

11. 418 macrumors member

I've heard a similar sound though perhaps it's a different problem.
    I've only heard it a few times, three of four maybe. The last two times I noticed it happening almost immediately after getting a notification with Taptic, which made me think it might be related to that (electrically I guess it could make sense given the moving parts).
    I'd assumed that it was the speaker since it's hard to imagine anything else inside the watch being able to make that sound - one time it was loud enough that I thought the speaker might have popped.

12. cygy2k macrumors member

Anybody exchanged their watch and had the new one not make the noise? Approaching end of 14 day period and will return if not possibly a software issue.

13. Lizardo90 macrumors member

I think thats just the microphone turning on for "hey siri" feature. Turn off "Hey Siri" and see if it still does it. FYI i dont hear the sound with or without "hey Siri"

14. oftheheavens thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks all at least I know I'm not alone. It is loud as hell sometimes

15. cygy2k macrumors member

Yeah I'm returning for a new one. Several complaints here and on Apple's forums about the issue but not enough to make me think it's fixable via firmware updates.

16. rorystewart macrumors newbie

Please advise if your new watch does this after you exchange. If you don't have the issue I'm going to exchange mine too.

And we also don't need to be within the 14 days because this is a defect. Apple has always been good about replacements for defects within a year.

17. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Did you end up returning the watch? Did the noise persist?

I hear it on mine still, but it is so subtle it doesn't bother me at all. Still, I am curious if it is a hardware hiccup or just the way the thing wakes.

18. sgw086 macrumors member

Remove the sport band and attempt to recreate the sound. It is likely the sport band that is causing the click sound. This happened to me too and I thought it was the screen. Once I removed the band, it didn't happen at all. The sport band has slight play when seated and occasionally will make a click when you raise your wrist as the band moves slightly with the wrist movement. This is the conclusion I have come to at least.

19. whatos macrumors 6502a

My brothers makes this noise, while the one I had did not. I don't see it as a problem. Apple is sure to fix it at some point.

20. cygy2k macrumors member

Returned the 38 SS with classic leather that had the problem and have a 42 SS with Milanese that doesn't have the problem.

21. Seekeroftruth macrumors member

My wife's watch does not make this sound. After reaching out to apple support, they determined it to be replaceable under the warranty, so I started an express replacement. The noise itself doesn't bother me as much, but I don't know what is causing the sound and I don't want future issues.

22. Jrdn13crvr macrumors regular

I dont know if it has been mentioned- but i know why! The watch is set to start listening for 'hey siri' when you raise your wrist. Its the microphone recieving small amounts of power as it turns on

23. Seekeroftruth macrumors member

I don't think this is the cause of my issue, but it could be. The watch does not make the sound if I activate the screen by tapping on the screen, or clicking the crown. It only makes the sound when it's waking via the wrist.

24. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

sure it isnt the taptic engine engaging?