Element Case Ronin Ti.2

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ikm19, Jul 28, 2013.

1. ikm19 macrumors 6502

ikm19

Has anyone got this yet ? I was looking for some pics

Rohin Ti.2

Its been couple of days since its out.

2. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Like the case, hate the price but they will sell out just like the other run did. Plus $50 for a backplate? LoL.... what's that saying by Thomas Tusser? A fool and his money....

3. rjbeh macrumors regular

I have the first edition, its exactly the same as Ti.2 only difference is it comes with a genuine leather pouch

I am currently using it with the Sector 5 Black Ops Elite version's back plate, the real elite case for me :D

Attached Files:

4. AFDoc macrumors 68030

And you proved my point! JK.... The more I see it the more I am leaning towards blowing the money for one. I was waiting for the Chinese fakes to hit the market but that hasn't happened.... yet.

I couldn't care less about the back, pleather holster or any of the other garbage they give with it, I just dig the case.

5. ngocnguyen macrumors member

Yeah, that's the price of a TPU Element case...on the other hand, if you know anything about firearms...the Black Ops case they did with VZ grips...you can equate the back plate as the same as the grips for guns. VZ grips sell for roughly $65-85!!! The Element back plate is almost equal to 1.5 the size of a gun grip so maybe $50 isn't that bad. G10 is hard stuff to machine good.

6. jagss macrumors member

Some pictures, I received mine yesterday.
    Very high quality case. I went for the g10 backplate too (an additional $50)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

A lovely looking case but hideously over-priced!

It annoys me how companies slap the term 'CNC' on something to make it sound complicated or elite and it suddenly demands a silly amount of money.

8. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Those have been around for a while on those sites. These are the titanium and carbon fiber ronin case.

The aluminum cases cost a ton and gladly buy the fakes but again, for them it's not just the cnc part, it's the ti and cf part.

9. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Yeah very true. I suppose my annoyance wasn't just aimed at this particular product but products in general that use 'CNC' as a selling point. I have over 10 years of CNC experience and see this stated a lot. I suppose this could work in my favour if people are impressed by this process as it drives the price up lol. It simply annoys me if I am paying more for something I don't think warrants the price hike.

In this instance though they are very nicely designed cases and the material used may require the price to be higher. I understand that. :)

10. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

These are fake. You can't believe they're genuine. I've purchased from this company. The item was not the item advertised. It didn't fit right. It was damaged. I returned it as fast as possible. If you want to save money on junk you will not use on your phone, go to it. The pictures are Element pictures, not what they sell.

11. ikm19 thread starter macrumors 6502

ikm19

After reading the review on gadgetmac decided to buy one. I am waiting for the order to ship, they say it takes 5 days to process the order.

12. ngocnguyen macrumors member

anybody can create a 3D file and send it out to shop for CNC programming and a product made...that's proven, China does that all the time.....the trick is doing it good

My experience with CNC and manual machining...making a production quality fixture is key...proper tooling/cutters are key...even the right CNC machine is key...more robust spindle and higher speed capability the better..cycle time, how often are you changing your cutters so you do not get chatter, burnishing or galling on the surface, handling of parts off the mill...isolation of parts so they are not damaged from banging into one another, not damaging the parts during deburring, then isolated them again for transport to anodizer or whathaveyou...again, everytime someone touches the part, you risk damaging them. Then you have issues with your anodizing shop..racking fixture marks or damage caused from un-racking or mishandling, packaging, etc.

What I am trying to explain is there are a lot of factors out there that can screw up the quality of your CNC machined part.

it's not as easy as saying "I'll just CNC it!"

and based on owning genuine Element Case products..they do a pretty good job at it!

13. Gonz19 macrumors regular

Don't suppose you would want to sell your G10 backplate that came with the Ti case??

14. rjbeh macrumors regular

Nope not selling, I switch around the backplates

15. Gonz19 macrumors regular

Just curious on how thick is the elite backplate? Does it stick out quite a bit on the Ti case?

16. rjbeh macrumors regular

Its about the same as the ti backplate in terms of thickness but for the weight the elite backplate is slightly heavier by 9grams

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Oh I totally agree, and wasn't suggesting CNC'ing is easy. It can take years to perfect and I have to admit I've produced some crap in my early years, although I've built up my experience and produce to a high quality these days. I suppose you are paying for the machinists knowledge and quality with anything like this. I don't mass produce in my field to the degree Element would. I use SolidWorks for my 3D modelling and ArtCAM Express so small fry in comparison.

The spindles on our current machines only go up to 24,000rpm and I machine mainly plastics, wood and Aluminium. A lot of our 3D metalwork is sent off to save time. I suppose my original point was concerning how easily parts can be made once the process is perfected. With the software I use you programme it and save all tool changes, layers, spindle speeds, offsets and multi-passes once you have it perfected. Things can be mass produced to a high quality and faster once this has been determined. My annoyance wasn't directed at Element (I clarified that) but to how the term is used in marketing. I've made many parts for mountain bikes after seeing how wild people go for CNC'd bash guards and handle bar stems, so I suppose I have taken advantage myself.

Not trying to put down our professions here. :)

18. ngocnguyen macrumors member

I too will agree with you on marketing terms...what people don't know or quite understand..they think is cool...how many people even know what CNC stands for, right?

"Polymer" is another one of those high-tech words that sells...even though most equate that to plastics...however, you can say plastics are polymers but polymers are not plastics. Polymers do not have to be plastics...it can be protein like keratin (hair & finger nails)

19. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

Back in the day, the buzz word was "made of space age materials". Back then, it meant plastic too ;)

20. FJ2011 macrumors member

21. AFDoc macrumors 68030

22. Partridge macrumors 6502

Except it appears that they bundled in the backplate and the original leather case from the first edition. So you're pretty much getting the goodies from the first edition case minus the flamed titanium finish and serial number. Which more or less explains the increase in price.

23. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Did not notice it was the real leather pouch..... So not bad I guess.... Still not for me at that price.