Element Case Vapor Review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by hidefguy, Aug 8, 2010.

1. hidefguy macrumors 6502

Ok so here’s my review of the Element Case Vapor, I like many others on the other thread ordered this on July 3, and been eagerly waiting and anticipating the arrival of this case. I also received version 1 of the case, so this review is for version 1. I’ve had this case for over a day now and been testing to make sure everything’s functional. Let me also say that I am not an employee or spokesperson for Element Case and all of this is just my honest opinion.

Design: I think that this case is one of the sleekest and most beautiful looking cases for the iPhone 4, there’s nothing else out there that can compare to this. Having said that if you are one of those people that like to exchange cases every so often, taking this on and off is a pain in the ass. Also the Design won’t allow for third part cables or headphones that are at a 90 degree angle. I’m going to have to buy an extender for both my cars audio system, so if any of you guys have any suggestions please let me know. Also holding this case feels comfortable in the right hand, and the two bumps makes it comfortable to hold while playing games in landscape view. Holding the case in your left hand takes some getting use to, if you hold it so that you pinky is on the bottom bump then it’s ok, holding it any other way is just painful. You have to remember this thing is made out of aluminum, it’s not soft! I also have no problem thinking that it may slip, if you hold it right the bumps help in securing the case in your hand.

Signal Reception: Let me start by saying that I had a OSIR Carbon fiber case for my 3GS and that case would affect the signal strength by 1-2 bars but only in weak signal areas, and where my wife’s 3GS could hang on to 1 bar, that case showed no bars or Out of Service. I only bring this up just to let you guys know my experience in using a case that affects reception. In my house I only get 2-3 bars of reception after upgrading to 4.0.1, but as you can see in the picture it shows 4 bars (must be a good day). So as far as this is concerned I have no issues with signal reception. I also tested Google Maps for GPS and it was able to pinpoint my location, and while driving It had no problem following me as I drove. I don’t have any 3rd party apps that use GPS so I can’t comment on how it may impact those apps. I also had no issues with WiFi.

Verdict: This case definitely has more cons than pros, but if you are like me and like form over function and you have no signal issues when you put this case on than this is for you. I know other people have signal issues when using this case but I must be lucky that I don’t or maybe It’s my iPhone that doesn’t have no issues??? Also this case is $80 this might be a problem for some, but for me it’s the price you pay to have a unique case. Anyways thanks for reading and please take it easy on me for any grammatical errors I may have in writing this review. FYI my phone has the SGP carbon back and It’s not the one you purchase from Element.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Thanks for sharing your review man. That's actually version 1 too! You can get a free replacement of version 2 if you call Element Case. You might like it better.

Thanks again. :)

P.S. I'm happy to hear no reception issues!! :D

3. TechZone macrumors member

TechZone

Thanks for the good review. I might order it .. :)

4. hidefguy thread starter macrumors 6502

To tell you the truth I don't like what they did to version 2, with the sim slots or the headphone jack but if for any reason I start having problems with reception I may go ahead and exchange it.

5. glen e macrumors 68030

thanks - do you think the aluminum will scratch from laying it down on surfaces after a while? - just your guess?

6. hidefguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm pretty careful with any case I use, I would normally place it on a piece of paper or napkin etc.. but yes It may scratch if you slide it across a table or in a pocket with keys and coins etc...

7. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I don't even think you have to exchange it. I think you just get it for free. :D Doesn't hurt to ask.

Obviously, I don't have the case to say... but anofized products are usually pretty tough and scratch resistant.

Can't imagine it would scratch much.

8. SESpy macrumors regular

SESpy

First of all, THIS is a review! Nice one pal! Really professional. Not like the iLounge one. Thanks for the good pics ( I thought I was gonna be able to enlarge them but still :) ) they are great.
    It's nice to hear that there are no signal or GPS issues! Thank God :D
    I never thought it would...

9. hidefguy thread starter macrumors 6502

That would be a plus.

10. hidefguy thread starter macrumors 6502

There were some people that had reception and gps issue including lgreenburg who did a youtube review, only when you put the case on will you know if your phone will be affected. Also maybe it's my case, or my phone that doesn't have the issues.

11. Orlandorealtor macrumors regular

Orlandorealtor

Thanks reassured me to not order this case now! Better alternatives out there.

12. SESpy macrumors regular

SESpy

I know I know... but something still tells me I am not gonna have signal issues.

13. F1 Speed macrumors member

Well done on the review & pics. I think you covered all the areas of concern for most and was well written.

I prefer the version 1 as well but if I receive version 2 I'll be happy with it as well. I'm supposed to receive mine tommorrow and I'm hoping I receive version 1. I really don't anticipate any reception issues as I have a great signal here around town but we'll see tommorrow I hope.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post this reveiw and sharing your thoughts about this highly anticipated (and controvercial) case :cool:

14. zornet macrumors regular

A BIG thanks to you hidefguy for your unbiased review with the pic's. Real good to hear that the GPS seems A-OK, that is a big one for me. I'll be standing with my sliver/sliver order with the sim slot exposed hopefully for the iPad 3G. Thanks

15. poblack macrumors regular

Is there any type of grip with this case? I know it's made of aluminum. Will it slip out of your pocket?

16. hidefguy thread starter macrumors 6502

No special grip but the bumps help secure it in your hands.
    I suppose if you wear some loose pants with small pockets, or gym type shorts with pockets.

17. johnnybgood15 macrumors 6502

Not anymore than a normal iPhone I would imagine.

18. carbonfly macrumors regular

I'm confused about how you say that this case has more cons than pros? In your use you mostly described pros (i.e. how nice the case is, how it feels to hold it, no reception problems). What are the specific cons you have faced (other than it is difficult to get off and on)?

19. hidefguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess your right never looked at it that way. For cons it would have been the obvious stuff like:
    1. Taking it on and off
    2. Doesn't fit 3rd party Cables
    3. Headphone port won't allow 90 degree connectors.
    4. Price

20. perplex macrumors regular

Hey hidefguy, we got the same case -- both version 1's. I also have no issues regarding reception.

However, are you going to contact element case to get version2? Didn't Larry Greenberg guy say that all we had to do was contact them, and they would send us version 2 for free? And if we do that, do we have to send them our case first? or do they send the case (overnight like his) and then we send ours back?

21. hidefguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I would like to know this also, although I'm pretty happy with the case, so I guess this might have been what lorenwade was referring to? I just assume you send the old one back, I'll try and give them a call and see what they say. I guess the only upside is even if you have to send the old one back is to get a different color. Let me know if you find out before I do.

22. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

Hey hidefguy, how wide is the hole for the dock connector? Can you tell me the length and width of the hole?

I want to see if my Apple Composite AV Cable will fit.

23. hidefguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok It's about L 1 3/4" X W 1/4"

24. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

25. hidefguy thread starter macrumors 6502

???