Elevation Lab's New NightPad 7.5W Wireless Charger is Perfect for Bedtime Use

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Elevation Lab, known for its popular line of wired dock options for the iPhone, recently came out with its first wireless charging dock, the NightPad.

The NightPad, which is a 7.5W charger, looks like a lot of other wireless chargers on the market, but there are some premium features to be aware of. It's covered in a soft silicone material that holds the iPhone in place while it's charging, and there's also a raised ring that makes sure the iPhone stays secure.

While the design of the NightPad is simple, that silicone material has such a matte finish that it makes the charging pad look super black, so it does stand out from your average charging pad. There is subtle Elevation Lab branding on the top of the charger, but it can be hard to see just because it's so dark.

Size wise, the NightPad is palm-sized and a little larger than a coaster. As with most wireless chargers this size, you do need to make sure to get the iPhone lined up in the center because if it's off to the side a bit (which can happen -- especially in the dark) it won't charge.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Elevation Lab's New NightPad 7.5W Wireless Charger is Perfect for Bedtime Use

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
Interesting to see Elevation Lab diversifying their risk and putting a chip on wireless charging too, on what seems like a fairly well put together, good looking Qi charger.

Not a huge fan of the no LED thing. I understand the utility of darkness but a LED can be done in a less obtrusive way that passively lets you see your phone is charging, while not illuminating your room. Yes you can set the haptics to alert you when it starts charging, but you can also accidentally move your phone during the night and a tiny dim white LED could help you catch that and minimize the risk of waking up with a dead phone.

That being said, I hope they keep developing their wired solutions because wired is for me still the way to go.

artfossil

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2015
Florida

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors P6
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Because...
Mophie has the LED and better track record with this item and many others, in my opinion. I think it is worth the $60.
[doublepost=1532729127][/doublepost]
Man go on amazon and buy the Go Tech 3 in 1 wireless charging pad! You guys will give Apple 200$ for a charging pad that does the same one this Go Tech Charger does! Crazy!
You quoted the wrong guy. ;)

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Something something Anker is just as good and half the price something something.

My usual spiel on this type of story aside, this thing actually looks pretty good and it at least a little cheaper than other "premium" wireless chargers. It's nice that it comes with a long, braided cord. If they came out with a gray or white version I'd be all over that.

I wish they would sell the cord separately. It looks nice.

Reactions: DogHouseDub

rjtyork

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
I would think the "perfect bedtime charger" would be a slow charger, not a quick charger. If it's bedtime you have hours to charge. No need to ram the charge in there, generate heat, and ultimately shorten battery life.
I agree here. I’d get one of these fast chargers for a place like next to my couch so it charges fast when I’m only going to be in one place for an hour or 2 and I’ll be picking it up and checking it. For my bedside? I got a $6 charger on amazon and I figure I’ll wake up with 100% no matter how fast or slow my charger is.

robinp

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Can’t believe it’s taken this long for someone to make a Qi charger without an LED. Honestly, they are completely unnecessary; your phone tells you when it’s charging. We don’t need LEDs on normal chargers and there’s been no way I’d have one with an LED next to my bed.

Lerxt

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Can’t believe it’s taken this long for someone to make a Qi charger without an LED. Honestly, they are completely unnecessary; your phone tells you when it’s charging. We don’t need LEDs on normal chargers and there’s been no way I’d have one with an LED next to my bed.
They’re everywhere if you look. In Asia there are 20 in each shop and they cost $15us.

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
The matte silicone material is what has me interested. I’ve tried Mophie & Incipio chargers on my bedside table but my iPhone X in a soft-touch case doesn’t charge reliably due to vibrating or sliding off-center. The chargers also move on the wood surface when placing the phone down. I’d prefer a larger rectangular landing pad but understand the popularity of the coaster-style. No flashing LED is also an appreciated feature.

Reactions: ignatius345

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
Love that there's no LED. Great design choice!
Got one of these a couple weeks back when 9to5Mac ran a story with 25% off or whatever it was. Got the charger and wall wart for $41 shipped. Liked it so much, got another one for the same price.

Great charger, no LED's which I LOVE as it's in my bedroom. Simple and it charges FAST! Best money I have spent.

Reactions: beta3

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I would think the "perfect bedtime charger" would be a slow charger, not a quick charger. If it's bedtime you have hours to charge. No need to ram the charge in there, generate heat, and ultimately shorten battery life.
Actually from what I have heard, quite the opposite is true.

Slow, Long periods of wireless charging is fat worse for a battery than a quick on and off charge with a wire.
Charging makes the battery heat up (Wireless also) and the less time you can spend warming up/charging the battery the better it is for the battery.

I know, in general, it would seem like a slow charge should be kinder, and is what I thought till I read some articles, but the exact opposite is/was the case.

Wireless is very inefficient, and makes the phone and battery warm for a long time.

Crowbot

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2018
NYC
I bought a $13 Yootech from Amazon. Clean design with rubber on top and bottom. The unit has wrap-around LEDS but they only flash for the first 10 seconds or so, so I know it's charging, then they go off. I opened it up already and it's very neat inside too.

Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 68030
Aug 20, 2015
Not a huge fan of the no LED thing. I understand the utility of darkness but a LED can be done in a less obtrusive way that passively lets you see your phone is charging, while not illuminating your room.
The phone already tells you whether its charging, right? What's the issue here?

I'd WAY rather have a device that keeps my room dark instead of yet another superfluous LED. Seems like everything I own these days wants to light up a whole room just to tell you it's working.
[doublepost=1532839557][/doublepost]
Thank you. This applies to literally every single other product out there. I, for one, am pretty tired of having to put electrical tape on everything I own just to keep it from lighting up my whole bedroom.

Reactions: masteroflondon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.