Elevation Lab's New NightPad 7.5W Wireless Charger is Perfect for Bedtime Use

masteroflondon

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
London, UK
The phone already tells you whether its charging, right? What's the issue here?

I'd WAY rather have a device that keeps my room dark instead of yet another superfluous LED. Seems like everything I own these days wants to light up a whole room just to tell you it's working.
[doublepost=1532839557][/doublepost]
Thank you. This applies to literally every single other product out there. I, for one, am pretty tired of having to put electrical tape on everything I own just to keep it from lighting up my whole bedroom.
I bought a bunch of stickers (LightDims) from Amazon for this purpose. I found electrical tape doesn’t block enough. They offer 100% and something like 80% for when you do need to be able to check on something. Some of these lights are incredibly bright. My tv has a light when it’s on. I’m looking at the bloody thing! 50” of bright tv, and I need a little green light? Apple dumped lights some time ago, except on the Apple TV which is a shame. Most lights are not needed and the rest should be much dimmer.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
When will we have portable wireless charging solution? A charger that can serve the same function as current power bank serves.

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
I bought a bunch of stickers (LightDims) from Amazon for this purpose. I found electrical tape doesn’t block enough. They offer 100% and something like 80% for when you do need to be able to check on something. Some of these lights are incredibly bright. My tv has a light when it’s on. I’m looking at the bloody thing! 50” of bright tv, and I need a little green light? Apple dumped lights some time ago, except on the Apple TV which is a shame. Most lights are not needed and the rest should be much dimmer.
What a sad commentary on the state of product design, though, that there's a market for special stickers to block out over-bright LEDs. The thing that gets me is that even IF a "status LED" is needed (and often these impart no useful information) -- dim red LEDs do the same job and output far, far less light in a darkened room.
[doublepost=1532874759][/doublepost]
When will we have portable wireless charging solution? A charger that can serve the same function as current power bank serves.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would you want to carry around a charging puck in addition to the USB wall adapter and cable?

On the other hand, I have seen some countertops in airports that have wireless charging embedded, which makes plenty of sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: masteroflondon

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I would think the "perfect bedtime charger" would be a slow charger, not a quick charger. If it's bedtime you have hours to charge. No need to ram the charge in there, generate heat, and ultimately shorten battery life.
This is why I have a little 1 amp brick for my bedside charger. No reason to charge my phone any faster than that when it has all night.

Back in my 30 pin iPhone days I had an old iHome alarm clock meant for iPods that charged at 500mA! That thing took forever to charge an iPhone, but again, didn't care and actually liked that. :)

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
…Or you go with a $15 Anker charger and use a tiny piece of electrical tape to cover the LED.
I understand I can tape over the LED but that doesn’t solve the iPhone vibrating off or the charger sliding around.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would you want to carry around a charging puck in addition to the USB plug and cable?

On the other hand, I have seen some countertops in airports that have wireless charging embedded, which makes plenty of sense.
Because, when you travel, and there is no viable source of power, if your phone can only be charged wirelessly, what is the solution to recharge your phone on the go?

pete2106

Suspended
Dec 7, 2012
I have this great system for charging called 'Plugging in a Lightning Cable'. It's perfect for night time charging. They designed the cable without any LEDs so it can be used in a dark room, it's nice and discreet so when I'm not using it there isn't a big black rubber disc on my bedside table, it's universal within the Apple ecosystem so I can use it to charge my iPad too, and it's included with my phone so I don't have to spend an extra $50 to do something that the phone can do straight out of the box.

Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
Because, when you travel, and there is no viable source of power, if your phone can only be charged wirelessly, what is the solution to recharge your phone on the go?
What phone can only be charged wirelessly?

Unless you've time-travelled to Jony Ive's dystopian future, all iPhones available have a Lightning port for charging. Pretty sure no Android manufacturers have had the "courage" to remove their USB ports either.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
What phone can only be charged wirelessly?

Unless you've time-travelled to Jony Ive's dystopian future, all iPhones available have a Lightning port for charging. Pretty sure no Android manufacturers have had the "courage" to remove their USB ports either.
Sure, no phones manufactured now can only be charged wirelessly. I am talking about the rumoured future iPhone that has nothing but a piece of glass. Well, time to stop this topic here. I am done.

For the product, I do like that LED-less design, because it is much less intrusive. But having an LED could also help customers realising if everything is ok with the charger. Non-intrusive LED could work better. But, if the charger is cheap enough, having an LED or not does not really matter.

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
Sure, no phones manufactured now can only be charged wirelessly. I am talking about the rumoured future iPhone that has nothing but a piece of glass. Well, time to stop this topic here. I am done.
Well one would hope that by the time we get to that point, wireless chargers would be embedded in a lot more places like hotel room nightstands, coffee shop counters, car dashboards, etc. That and/or engineers will finally hit on some kind of battery breakthrough that lets us all get multiple days' use out of one charge cycle.

One way or another, at some point we will hopefully all look back in amusement at this era when we were all travelling with special hardware to charge our phones.

cast128

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2003
Colorado
This charger looks a bit cheap from the photos. Fit and finish seems lacking.
I’m disappointed in ElevationLab products as of late, in large part to their choice of materials. I’m not sure why they moved away from using aluminum in their newest products (ElevationDock4, CordDock) and elected to use silicon. While $40 is cheaper than many competing chargers, I think there are much better options at this price point

kkachurak

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, FL
This charger looks a bit cheap from the photos. Fit and finish seems lacking.
I’m disappointed in ElevationLab products as of late, in large part to their choice of materials. I’m not sure why they moved away from using aluminum in their newest products (ElevationDock4, CordDock) and elected to use silicon. While $40 is cheaper than many competing chargers, I think there are much better options at this price point
...you can't use metal in a wireless charging environment.

msharpe

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020
After using this charger for over a year, I'll report that I often wake up to find my phone has not charged overnight. Why? It wasn't exactly aligned in the right way on the puck. I find this can be a fault on most wireless chargers, but most are fairly forgiving. This one is not. It is disappointing as this was not a cheap product. The aesthetic design is nice and I really love not having the LED to light up the room. But if it is not dependable, then I can't recommend it.

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
After using this charger for over a year, I'll report that I often wake up to find my phone has not charged overnight. Why? It wasn't exactly aligned in the right way on the puck. I find this can be a fault on most wireless chargers, but most are fairly forgiving. This one is not. It is disappointing as this was not a cheap product. The aesthetic design is nice and I really love not having the LED to light up the room. But if it is not dependable, then I can't recommend it.
My partner has been having an issue with his charger. I have two of these and did not have an issue. His on the other hand, sometimes does/does not charge. Today was again, one of those days. I am not sure if he's aligning it correctly or not. It says charging when he puts it down. However it seems to stop whenever someone says "hey Siri" - I say that nightly to turn off all the lights. We think that's when it stops and it does as we check and have to lift it off and back on.