OS Neutral Elite Dangerous Tips

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Huntn, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Guys, for those of you participating in ED dog fighting in the VR environment, how do you find it as compared to using a monitor? I assume it takes getting used to, but in the end is it easier, harder, about the same? I assume in the VR environment you have better visibility of the target as far as looking over your shoulder at least with the flight decks that allow you to see behind you or at least to your side.

2. garnerx macrumors 6502

garnerx

It's much easier, you naturally follow the enemy ship with your eyes. Without VR you're generally just looking ahead.

Similar thing for driving games, too. I recently got a steering wheel so I could play racing sims, and you just follow the corner with your eyes as if you were in a real car. It's not something you have to think about, you already know how to do it. Being able to focus instantly on any part of the scene always beats having a fixed viewpoint.

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Using a monitor, and I lost sight of the enemy, I used the sensor thingy, with the dots representing ships and turned in the shortest direction to reacquire. I just don't remember how big of a wind screen I had, remembering it as not having any ability to look over your shoulder, but that is in the Cobra. I don't remember if the Eagle was better in this regard, but as I recall, the Cobra had better armor.

4. garnerx macrumors 6502

garnerx

Yes, you can't see much behind you due to the bulkhead but above / below / sides are all good.

I prefer ships with a lot of glass in the cockpit - Asp for exploring, Vulture for combat and Type 9 for trading. You get a great view in all of those. I saved for ages to buy a Python once, was really expensive but I hated the narrow letterbox canopy so I sold it almost immediately.

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

What they need with OR is the ability to toggle this image on and off in your headset, in case you need a reminder. :)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2017 ---
    Based on this comment from a while back, how would you all, who are dog fighting now, say the A.I. is?

6. Razzerman macrumors regular

That is one hell of a DIY project - I can only look on with some envy but mostly admiration. He clearly loves the game.

Nice find :)

7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Up to 2.2, the AI was fairly easy (not helped by some bugs, including one where some targets would just stop and spin to let you shoot them unopposed).

2.2 added a lot of AI improvements, and also they have access to Engineer upgrades. In the 2.2 Betas, they were pretty insane, so had to be dialled back a bit. They're still much smarter, use FA off to turn faster, use heat-sinks or chaff a lot more to break target lock (and drive your weapons crazy if you use gimballed or turreted weapons), use shield-cell-boosters to refresh their shields, and have access to Engineered weapons/shields etc.

So they're much more of a challenge than in 2.1, but a lot easier than they were in early 2.2 builds; especially if you (like most people) Engineer your own ship.

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yeah I know.

Cool, EVERSPACE just added a 3rd view - just the outside, so you can make this set up as well as an enlcosed flight deck and have the projectors show space around you...

Gotta check if ED has this view.

His bug is that you still have to "camera over" to the right and left to view stuff. Maybe he's got a report into the devs not to do that in ultrawide because in his case, he can just look over... :eek:

;)

9. Huntn, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for the info!
    The last time I logged into ED was a while back, I got my ass kicked in the the extraction zone. What bothered me is that everything seemed to be good, accumulating bounties, but then it all went to hell. Possible I accidentally hit one of the Federalies, and I got the **** kicked out of me before I could vamoose. :(
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2017 ---
    A solid wow, but arguably VR will make the expense of this setup unnecessary.

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Hah. Yeah, hitting the security services will finish you fairly quickly if you're not good at running.

They did put in a 'fix' a while back, if you hit "Ship A" while you have "Ship B" targeted, it'll treat it as an accidental shot and ignored, unless it happens repeatedly/do too much damage. It just means if a ship flies across your line of fire and you tag it, they'll be a bit more forgiving.

11. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

This is great to know, thanks! Maybe I won't be so scared now. :D

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yeah, but if you don't really like wearing a VR Headset, this is the way to go...

13. Huntn, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

But you are also getting 3D with VR along with a half a world/sphere view. I'm amazed in Gunjack when I looked down at about 70 degrees below level and drones were climbing to attack. My neck is getting a workout! :):)