[em] choose your role -- players, get in here!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, May 22, 2014.

1. ravenvii, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Players:
    jav6454 : Doctor
    Synthase : Professor
    Astroboy907 : Adventurer

1. Abijnk
    2. Scepticalscribe
    5. Southern Dad
    7. lunaoso
    8. BenTrovato

RULES:

In General:

The game begins with 3 villains (a werewolf, a vampire, and a witch/warlock) and several adventurers. The villains and the adventurers have their own story and motivations that are PMed to them and not unveiled publicly.

The roles will be known to all from the beginning - there will be no secret roles. The only secrets in this game are: the full map (only the villains has (partial) access - more on that below) and the unique abilities of the doctor, the pharmacist, the explosive technician and the professor.

The map will be slowly revealed to the adventurers as they move through the mansion.

The Villains:

There are three villains in the game. The main villain is the (witch/warlock), who rules the Haunted Mansion. (Her/his) underlings are the vampire and the werewolf, who rule their own wing of the mansion. They have control over only their own domains, and cannot place monsters or traps in domains not their own.

The vampire and werewolf starts at a level equal to the number of adventurers playing at the beginning of the game. The (witch/warlock) begins at double the vampire and werewolf’s levels.

Their Goal: to kill each and every adventurer invading the mansion.

The Adventurers:

They all start at level 1. Their stats begin at 1 HP and 1 AP. Each time they level up, 1 HP and 1 AP will be added to their stats.

Certain adventurers have special powers known only to them, and revealed to the other heroes at their own discretion.

Heroes’ Goal: To eliminate all three of the villains in the mansion.

Game Mechanics:

Each rounds consist of a double turn for the adventurers followed by a double turn for the villain. Each turn corresponds to one action.

There is no time limit on any turn; the adventurers’ turn ends when the team leader communicates his decision to the GM. The villains’ turns are done by PM.

Adventurer actions (decided by the leader in the thread, which should, but not necessarily has to, reflect the group opinion expressed through voting/discussion exclusively in the thread):

1) Move: the group opens a passage and moves into the next room.

2) Explore: the group explores the room they are in. they can find and disable traps and find items.

3) Split and move: part of the group splits into a separate sub-group, who will have a separate turn(s) from next turn on. The first, immediate, action of one of the groups HAS to be to move into a separate room. If two groups get back into the same room, the next turn they can, but do not necessarily, choose to merge again. The splitting doesn’t count as a move per se, but the splinter group has to immediately move to another room, so it counts as that group's action. The teams will from the split onwards, have two turns per round (not counting the turns they have already used as a single team in the instant round). They can arrange the turns in the manner they see fit.

4) Special actions: determined by the characters’ special powers. No one except a character knows the nature, extension or frequency of use of any of the special powers, including the villain. Those powers are performed by their respective character via PM to the GM. They do not consume turns, but are performed during the next turn following the order.

Villains’ actions: communicated to the GM by PM, but they can post in the thread if they wish.

1) Move and position the monsters in their arsenal, within their own domain.

2) arm traps or re-arm traps in their own domain. Traps will be placed on the map at the beginning of the game by the villain ruling that domain. The villains will have a limited number of traps they can use, and once placed at the beginning of the game, they cannot place any further traps. Furthermore, at first, the traps are unarmed. During the game, the villains will have to use points to arm the traps. Nastier traps will cost more points to arm. If the adventurers discover the traps and disarm it before leaving the room, the villain can choose to re-arm the trap.

1 and 2 can be combined in one turn, provided enough points are available

3) move to another room (similar to the adventurers, each room he moves through consumes one turn)

5) wait and earn 1 turn/point. The villain can instead decide (active communication to the GM) to wait and collect points, which can then be used to move monsters or arm traps.

They can wait for as many consecutive turns as they like, in which no other actions are performed by the villains.

Monsters: Monsters lurk in their assigned room and don’t move unless moved by the villain controlling the monster. They will automatically attack the group when they enter the same room, in a fight to the death. Monsters do not attack the domain’s villain, but *do* attack villains from other domains.

Traps: a trap is triggered the moment an adventurer enters the room in which the trap is concealed. Traps cannot be avoided at first. Furthermore, there are no limit to how many times a trap can be sprung. To prevent the trap from being sprung the next time the adventurer enters the room, the trap must be disarmed. A disarmed trap can be re-armed by the domain’s villain. The amount of damage depends on the trap and is randomly distributed via random.org. Unlike monsters, traps do harm the domain’s villain if he moves through a room with a live trap.

Items: they are placed by the GM at the beginning of the game, only the GM and the villains know their locations.

Level treasure: Valuable treasure hidden away in the mansion, worth millions if taken... if you make it out of the mansion alive, that is. Everyone in the group that discovers it gains one level.

Items: various items that holds significance. Their significance may not be apparent immediately, however. An example of such items is a key.

Fights: A fight starts whenever heroes enter a room with monsters or the villains, and it is always a team battle.

The AP, or Attack Points, represents the total damage inflicted to the other side. This is randomly distributed to each component of the other side (if more than one).

The HP, or Hit Points, are the amount of damage a character can receive before dying. The amount of damage received is determined by the opponent's AP, as discussed above.

When HP is zero, the monster or character is dead.

In case of equal stats, the winner will be determined by random.org, and the loser's stats will be knocked down one point, and the consequences applied accordingly.

A example: say our team has split up, and we have three heroes who stumble upon a monster. Let's assume that our heroes are at level 2. That would mean they both have 2 HP and 2 AP. The unfortunate monster is at level 3, which means he would have 3 HP and 3 AP. But wait, we combine the three heroes' stats, so the team's stats are 6 HP and 6 AP. Poor Monster, indeed. It's dead, but its 3 AP means it'll hit the Team with 3 points - each point will be assigned randomly to the members, depleting their HP.

Stats: all heroes start at 1 HP and 1 AP and gain 1 point each per level. When attacking, a group is considered as one entity and their AP are combined.
    When receiving damage, the damage points are randomly distributed via random.org.

The HP of a character cannot exceed the maximum HP.

Levelling: Discover treasure: gain a level. Kill a monster: gain a level. That's it.

There is no maximum level, and levels are gained by all the participants in the group that did the killing/discovery.

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

3. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

just wanted to point out that, at the end, it was the bad guys who got "cut short" by the kickass good guys ;).
    just saying'... :D

Anyways, the last EM game was a blast (in many ways :D).
    i highly recommend it, but be aware that it can be long and involved.
    I had a lot of fun playing it. I'll wait to sign to leave the slots for you young 'uns. :)

ravenvii, i haven't looked at the rules in detail, but i remember there was some discussion at the end of last game about possible tweaks. heave you looked at it?

4. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yep -- notice I've removed the majority vote for a leader part -- this game anyone in the group can issue an order.

As for splitting up, as you will see once the game starts, the adventurers will be split into two at the beginning of the game, at the two wings of the mansion. They only reunite once they reach the tower (the final part of the game).

As for the balance, in this game it will be openly known that the game will favor the good guys at first -- I will be designing the game so that the good guys would be able to make it though the two wings unless they make really dumb moves. The game balance will then tip the other way when they reach the tower. Essentially it will be the werewolf and vampire's jobs to soften up the good guys as much as they can before they reach the tower, so the warlock/witch can crush them with ease, and it will be the good guys' jobs to ensure that they reach the tower in as strong a position as possible so they can survive and kill the warlock/witch.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, well, as the Don's tragically prematurely dispatched Consigliere in the last game (was that really two, full, long, years ago?), who suffered a sad and untimely demise at the hands of irresponsible adventurers at that time, what can I say?

Well, little, indeed, beyond expressing an insanely delighted degree of interest in whatever proceedings are to take place.…...

6. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

When would it start? The last one was really fun (aside from my untimely death), but I'm going away for the holiday.

Also I'd be willing to let new people play instead a la DP. I think the limit on this one is much smaller. Actually now that I think about it, this would be a fun one to run as a GG. Maybe in the near future.

7. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Also looking for an approximate start time/date.

8. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

too complex for me, i remember watching the first game being played and saying i don't have that kind of time!

for the new guys/gals..this game is 10x more involved than the WW games, my opinion.

9. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Likely in the beginning of June. Might start as soon as the end of next week, but that'll consist of role-picking and starting team-forming before starting the game actual in June.

10. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

In that case... finals are starting so I'll be done with everything by then :D

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The last game was indeed "involved", and yes, rather complicated. However, it also tended to trundle along rather slowly (which allowed for 'real life' stuff to continue), and, my memory reminds me that it went on for simply ages, and ages. Months, in fact.

Actually, I seem to recall that it started sometime around Easter, and didn't finish until well into June or July…….a terrific and tremendously enjoyable game…...

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

13. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

If SouthernDad plays, I definitely want to play as well! Count me in, if you'll need a final player.

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I wish I could include myself - but much like the last go around, it sounds like it's a much deeper time investment than what I'm able to dedicate to it. I'll try to watch from the sidelines.

15. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

I'm definitely interested. I'm just concerned about the time commitment. I have a lot on my plate this summer and I don't know if I can devote enough time to the game to be fair to the other players. I didn't play the last time so I'm unsure of the mechanics, but would checking the thread once or twice a day be sufficient or is more required to not be a hinderance?

Didn't we play a few WW games while the EM game was in progress?

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, we did indeed . That was my point earlier when I wrote that - at times - they seemed to last forever.

However, the loungers between moves meant that it was not quite as intense as the WW games; while the EM game seemed to last an awful long time, the actual pace of game movement and activity (apart from a few bursts which - invariably - felt a few corpses in their wake) was quite relaxed.

17. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I don't know if I should play. Maybe I'll see how this game works, unless someone wants to convince me;)

18. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Okay, now that the WW game has begun (and the WWDC keynote has come and gone), let's fill up this game's roster!

Five more players needed!

19. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

you forgot SouthernDad I think. Four more! :D

20. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Uppity up! Can't wait for this to start!
    C'mon people... I mean, this has to be more fun than WW, right? :rolleyes:

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Welcome back, my esteemed Don. It is good to see you on these fora again.

22. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

23. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Is this the jav everyone mentions in WW games?
    You have quite the reputation :D