Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcfudd

macrumors member
May 30, 2004
profit

m a y a said:
I believe Apple needs to shorten the refresh cycle more to stay current in the Tech Offerings.

They product refresh cycle is just way too long at present and falling behind more.
They have a longer refresh cycle for a reason. Profitability.

It is very common --- wait for economies of scale to drive down the cost of components so your profit margin allows you to stay in business. They have the engineering talent to refresh products sooner.

They do not have to stay "cutting edge" on all of their products. The PowerMac is where they do this. I get your point, but if you really need the extra horsepower --- open your wallet.

mcfudd

macrumors member
May 30, 2004
profit

m a y a said:
I believe Apple needs to shorten the refresh cycle more to stay current in the Tech Offerings.

They product refresh cycle is just way too long at present and falling behind more.
They have a longer refresh cycle for a reason. Profitability.

It is very common --- wait for economies of scale to drive down the cost of components so your profit margin allows you to stay in business. They have the engineering talent to refresh products sooner. But, they are smart enough to wait.

They do not have to stay "cutting edge" on all of their products. The PowerMac is where they do this. I get your point, but if you really need the extra horsepower --- open your wallet.

For example, there are numerous people already complaining about the specs on the Mac mini. Sure, Apple could have provided more computer -- but they would have also provided more price --- sort of defeating the purpose of the product in the first place --- increase market share and make money.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Back on topic of the eMac, it would certainly seem easier to add the G5 chip. There would be more space for cooling. It would seem to be a lot easier to add than to the PowerBook. Still think that it's a possibility sometime this year.

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
with the intro of the mac mini at this year's expo, many people believe the emac will lose its home in the mac lineup. i however believe that apple will hold strong to the market group they reached with the emac. people who are looking for an all-in-one, but do not require some of the accouterments of the imac find their best friend in an emac. think ipod market, a solution for everyone. emac g5? possibly...look for something closer in design to the g4 imac if apple is going to continue to grow this product.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
If the eMac goes to a G5 processor, even with the recent Mac Mini, I think the eMac will still hold strong. The Mac Mini requires monitor, keyboard and mouse whereas the eMacs come with that, integrated monitor, Apple Mouse, and Apple Keyboard (optical mouse - YEAH!!!), but the integrated monitor, if I know the Rez and Hz now, I'd decide to buy it or not. Other than that, I think the eMac will hold strong in the market for a little while, at least for schools. - I'm all over the place but, the eMac is still in the market for people who want to have the ability to use the applications provided without having to buy a monitor, mouse, and keyboard.
eMac: $799
iMac: $499 + keyboard + mouse + monitor = 499 + 30 + 30 + 100 = $660 So it depends on if you want to go out and buy the stuff for $60 retail, buy it online for $30 and if you want to buy a monitor for at least $100 maybe more/less. It just depends on what kind of a user you are.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
slooksterPSV said:
If the eMac goes to a G5 processor, even with the recent Mac Mini, I think the eMac will still hold strong. The Mac Mini requires monitor, keyboard and mouse whereas the eMacs come with that, integrated monitor, Apple Mouse, and Apple Keyboard (optical mouse - YEAH!!!), but the integrated monitor, if I know the Rez and Hz now, I'd decide to buy it or not. Other than that, I think the eMac will hold strong in the market for a little while, at least for schools. - I'm all over the place but, the eMac is still in the market for people who want to have the ability to use the applications provided without having to buy a monitor, mouse, and keyboard.
eMac: $799
iMac: $499 + keyboard + mouse + monitor = 499 + 30 + 30 + 100 = $660 So it depends on if you want to go out and buy the stuff for $60 retail, buy it online for $30 and if you want to buy a monitor for at least $100 maybe more/less. It just depends on what kind of a user you are.

Also a matter of style. Given the choice I would rather go the Mac mini for my space. And given that I have two or three PC monitors hanging around...

A G5 eMac would give a good reason for the $300 delta.

I could see the eMac go to the G5 1.6, the low end iMac to 2.0, the high end iMac to 2.2, and the PM line going from 2.2 to maybe 3.0.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Chip NoVaMac said:
Also a matter of style. Given the choice I would rather go the Mac mini for my space. And given that I have two or three PC monitors hanging around...

A G5 eMac would give a good reason for the $300 delta.

I could see the eMac go to the G5 1.6, the low end iMac to 2.0, the high end iMac to 2.2, and the PM line going from 2.2 to maybe 3.0.
I thought the 2.3 GHz PPC G5 was reserved for use in the XServe. Therefore, my lineup would be something like this:

Option 1 (2.3 and 2.8 GHz processors unavailable):
eMac G5 low: 1.4 GHz
eMac G5 high: 1.6 GHz
iMac G5 low: 1.8 GHz
iMac G5 high: 2.0 GHz
PowerMac G5 low: 2.0 GHz dual
PowerMac G5 medium: 2.5 GHz dual
PowerMac G5 high: 3.0 GHz dual

Option 2 (2.3 GHz processor available; 2.8 GHz processor unavailable):
eMac G5 low: 1.6 GHz
eMac G5 high: 1.8 GHz
iMac G5 low: 2.0 GHz
iMac G5 high: 2.3 GHz
PowerMac G5 low: 2.3 GHz dual
PowerMac G5 medium: 2.5 GHz dual

Option 3 (2.3 GHz processor unavailable; 2.8 GHz processor available):
iMac G5 high: 2.5 GHz
PowerMac G5 low: 2.5 GHz dual
PowerMac G5 medium: 2.8 GHz dual

Option 4 (2.3 and 2.8 GHz processors available):
iMac G5 high: 2.3 GHz
PowerMac G5 low: 2.5 GHz dual
PowerMac G5 medium: 2.8 GHz dual

Obviously, if the 3.0 GHz processor isn't available, that changes things considerably.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
mcfudd said:
For example, there are numerous people already complaining about the specs on the Mac mini. Sure, Apple could have provided more computer -- but they would have also provided more price --- sort of defeating the purpose of the product in the first place --- increase market share and make money.

You reference to the Mac mini makes no sense, since having desktop drives instead of notebook drive would have allowed for a HIGHER profit margin. ;) :)

Though that doesn't seem to be the case at all, it seems size was the concern here, which makes no sense since even if you placed in desktop drives it would still be smaller than any PC or Mac to date. :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
wrldwzrd89 said:
I thought the 2.3 GHz PPC G5 was reserved for use in the XServe. Therefore, my lineup would be something like this:

Option 1 (2.3 and 2.8 GHz processors unavailable):
eMac G5 low: 1.4 GHz
<snipped>

You will not see an under clocked G5 for the simple reason that it makes no sense at all, you might as well just put in a G4 even though the bus and ram speed is slower.

Apple will only introduce the G5 @ 1.6GHz nothing lower. :)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
maya said:
You will not see an under clocked G5 for the simple reason that it makes no sense at all, you might as well just put in a G4 even though the bus and ram speed is slower.

Apple will only introduce the G5 @ 1.6GHz nothing lower. :)
OK, fair enough. I must then wonder - what does Apple do in the event that 2.3 , 2.8, and 3.0 GHz versions of the PowerPC G5 are unavailable? My guess is that they hold off updates until at least one of those becomes available.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
wrldwzrd89 said:
OK, fair enough. I must then wonder - what does Apple do in the event that 2.3 , 2.8, and 3.0 GHz versions of the PowerPC G5 are unavailable? My guess is that they hold off updates until at least one of those becomes available.

I hope we do not see Apple pulling they old stunts as in the past, by extending product refresh cycles. <-- since that is they contingency plan if things do not work out right and on time.

ZenDen2003

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2005
Montreal, Canada
What I don't understand is the continued want/need by everyone to ensure that the eMac remains underpowered as compared to the iMac. To me they are and should be the same. One simply has an LCD screen and the other an LCD. Myself, I do graphic design and have yet to be told that the LCD screens out are as good for colour work than even the emac's CRT. I think it's high time that the eMac be made the equal of the iMac. If Apple's only CRT offereing is the eMac then they should be offering a full gamut of options - iMac and Powermac scalings. Fo design offices that are short on space, offering a dual G5 but in an all in one would rock, as far as I'm concerned. Give people the choice. It's a fantastic machine, the eMac and as I've mentioned, really needs to be placed on equal footing with at least, the iMac's speed and capabilities.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
ZenDen2003 said:
What I don't understand is the continued want/need by everyone to ensure that the eMac remains underpowered as compared to the iMac. To me they are and should be the same. One simply has an LCD screen and the other an LCD. Myself, I do graphic design and have yet to be told that the LCD screens out are as good for colour work than even the emac's CRT. I think it's high time that the eMac be made the equal of the iMac. If Apple's only CRT offereing is the eMac then they should be offering a full gamut of options - iMac and Powermac scalings.

I agree. The eMac and iMac should be the same in everything except display technology.

The strange desire some people have to keep the eMac lower than the iMac specs-wise is likely due to vanity and snobbery. The price premium should account for the screen and not for snob appeal. Both computers are in the consumer line, after all.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Rod Rod said:
I agree. The eMac and iMac should be the same in everything except display technology.

The strange desire some people have to keep the eMac lower than the iMac specs-wise is likely due to vanity and snobbery. The price premium should account for the screen and not for snob appeal. Both computers are in the consumer line, after all.

What different displays can they have to make such a difference in the price as it is now.

Becasue it would be strange if they came out with a brand new machine with an CRT, that would be very outdated and it is bad for your eyes as well :eek:

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
I think the eMac in it's current configuration is horribly overpriced...it either needs a major update right NOW or to be dropped from the product lineup.

ZenDen2003

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2005
Montreal, Canada
I think all of the Mac offerings are over-priced. Be that as it may, the eMac shouldn't be discontinued. It still serves a very important function... it's a monitor with a computer inside. As it is, the mac-mini with a 20" LCD screen, here in Canada anyway, costs as much as the 20" iMac and the iMac has a G5 processor! The eMac should be at par with the iMac in every way. Each are ars was mentioned already, consumer models. People would simply have the choice of models. All-in-one CRT or LCD model.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Platform said:
What different displays can they have to make such a difference in the price as it is now.

Becasue it would be strange if they came out with a brand new machine with an CRT, that would be very outdated and it is bad for your eyes as well :eek:

To answer your question about which different displays they would use: the eMac would use a CRT and the iMac would use an LCD.

To your second point: CRTs are not outdated to those for whom color accuracy is important.

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
Regarding how soon they'll update the eMac, there is still no change on the eMac "Estimated Ship" date. It still says "Same business day." The PowerBooks changed a while ago. Is that a bad sign that we won't see them updated on the same day the PBs are?

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
SteveC said:
Regarding how soon they'll update the eMac, there is still no change on the eMac "Estimated Ship" date. It still says "Same business day." The PowerBooks changed a while ago. Is that a bad sign that we won't see them updated on the same day the PBs are?

IIRC the last eMac update in April last year caught everybody off guard.

TS have said ones to appear with a G5 processor so I think given their recent track record we can expect to see it soon.

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
Well, another "Terrific Tuesday" will be upon us in 2 days. The only two things we, as non-Apple execs, can do are:

1. Hope for rumors.
2. "Wait and see..." :)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
With the intro of MiniMac and Imac's newness almost worn off i dont expect a G5 Emac. G5 Emac isnt going to happen and crts can be kissed goodbye. Im sure everyone involved with shipping at Apple is very happy to have the last crt about gone. I think they cranked up production for a little more if im not mistaken. couldnt have another we are out of computers fiasco like they did with imacG5. I guess they have a freshrun of emacs to unload and then mini replaces those sales. Apple saves big on shipping. Emac is EOL.

ZenDen2003

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2005
Montreal, Canada
I completely disagree about the eMac going EOL but then I guess it depends on whether Apple decides to discontinue CRT's completely. Time will tell. One thing Apple is certainly considering is that I'm sure that those that only have had all-in-ones and only want all-in-ones will be pissed about having to pay twice as much for their next Mac. A lot of people bought the iMac and have no extra monitors etc., laying about.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Dont Hurt Me said:
With the intro of MiniMac and Imac's newness almost worn off i dont expect a G5 Emac. G5 Emac isnt going to happen and crts can be kissed goodbye. Im sure everyone involved with shipping at Apple is very happy to have the last crt about gone. I think they cranked up production for a little more if im not mistaken. couldnt have another we are out of computers fiasco like they did with imacG5. I guess they have a freshrun of emacs to unload and then mini replaces those sales. Apple saves big on shipping. Emac is EOL.

Well I'll stick with Think Secerts prediction...although I agree it would be a far more attractive product if they could keep the price point and replace the 17" CRT with a 15" LCD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.