eMac questions

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by LeoTheLion89, Mar 7, 2012.

1. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

i got a eMac as some of you know from my other posts i have also listed its specs so here is my question.

i installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my eMac but the screen is off center since screen adjustments are in OS X itself how do i adjust the screen positioning in Ubuntu?

Also my eMac seems to be running a bit hot is it possible to upgrade its fan? what size fan is the stock fan?

2. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

i do know that i read linux does make these macs run hotter...

3. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

no my eMac runs hot on OS X runs cooler on Ubuntu

4. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

MintPPC

...will run much smoother on your eMac than bloatbuntu. The forums are very useful for sorting out issues like the ones you have, numerous xorg config files already available. Software available is good to excellent. Developer keeps ported and updated minitube and Iceweasel in repositories.

http://www.mintppc.org

5. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

i use LinuxMint on my linux box its the same thing as ubuntu i was wondering is there a OpenSuse or Fedora for ppc?

6. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Don't you have control panel for your graphic card?Maybe your only bet is editing the xorg.conf (it is still this file?)
    The fans are upgradable, there was a user that switch them I guess...or maybe it was a imac g3 :s can't remember..

LinuxMint was based on ubuntu, don't know about now...

Newer Fedora releases are only for 64bit PPCs

I guess the best bet is debian:
    http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/

7. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

i have never had luck with debian systems debian based yes but never debian itself.
    The eMac rev C uses the ATI Radeon 9200 GPU however Ubuntu only has drivers for i686 and 64bit versions and only the HD series cards have drivers the X series and under have no Linux drivers so using ATI Control Center isnt an option.

8. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

I have a X1950Pro in my father's pc, and using ubuntu 8.04 I had ATI Control Center I guess, but since apple never realized drivers for Mac Card I guess you are out of luck, once again your best bet is trying to edit some parameters in the xorg.conf file, but I don't know what parameters.

9. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

i am pretty good at Linux i am better with Linux than i am with Mac but i dont go messing around with any configuration files. One thing i have learned is that is is easy to crash the whole system where it wont boot at all.

10. AdrianK macrumors 68020

But you might have to edit them... Just make a backup and it the system fails to boot, just load the live CD and copy back your backup.

11. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

i will probably get a 32GB 2.5in SATA Solid State Drive for my eMac id use a SATA to IDE adaptor to connect it but i have 3 questions:

1. If i got a 2.5" to 3.5" Mounting bracket would there still be room left on the HDD caddy to install the SATA to IDE conveter?
    2. I will use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup my HDD image of 15GB CCC makes images as sparse images. Can the Mac OS X Disc Utility read Sparse images so a can just use Disk Utility to restore the HDD image?
    3. How much faster with the system be with a Solid State Drive?

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You should save yourself the hassle of some compatability issues and just get a PATA SSD for your eMac. Some SATA to PATA adapters don't play well with SSDs and Mac OS X.

As per you heat question, eMacs have very good cooling. Almost too much cooling. The fan in it is very capable and is able to move out lots of hot air. It's this high heat headroom that makes eMacs great for overclocking.

13. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

As far as fans go, not sure about what size comes in an emac, but I do know, tiger direct has fans of pretty much every single shape, size and speed. I forget the name exactly, but they used to sell, and might still sell these I think they might be called vortex fans, they came between 40mm-120mm and they ran at a solid 5000rpm all the time, super loud, but could move a TON of air. I used to use them in mini atx systems I built.

14. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

PATA SSDs are WAY too expencive would a CF Card with a CF to IDE adaptor be better?

15. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

If it is a good CF card yes.233x+

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A CompactFlash card is not designed to be used as a hard drive for an operating system. They will wear out and die without warning if used in such a way due to their limited number of write cycles. Even then, they would be slower than the eMac's OEM drive.

17. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Have you tried one?
    I had a 233X Samsung 8Gb card and the thing was very fast on ubuntu (it was used on a pc).
    Their read/write speed was on pair with a normal hdd, with the bennefit of much lower acess times.

18. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

19. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

So which is it? a 300X or 400x CF card or a SATA laptop SSD on a SATA-IDE adaptor?

20. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Why don't you continue using the current drive?

21. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

SSDs are faster

22. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

23. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

at 32GB for 30s pretty cheap and is cheaper than a 40GB HDD i dont have much on this mac dont need a hard drive as big as it has

24. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Leo, please do us all a favor and lose the "Red" text, it is much like bold text, really hard on the eyes which is probably why the World has standardized on plain black.

25. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

how well would a SD card work as a SSD? i can get a SD to CF adaptor