Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Email Aliases Not Functioning Properly in iOS 14 [Update: Possibly Fixed in iOS 14.2 Beta 2]

adrianlondon

macrumors 68030
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
This may be fixed in the latest beta. I've only done one test, but a test that failed in 14.2 b1 just worked.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Bugs like this are why Apple should allow downgrading major releases, at the very least for a month after release. I upgraded immediately to iOS 14 upon release and after a couple days noticed this problem sending emails from my Gmail and iCloud aliases. I only caught it when a work contact replied to my message, and I saw the wrong address in my quoted text of their reply! I use email heavily for work on the go so this would have been a major disruption, but thankfully I could downgrade before Apple stopped signing iOS 13. I'm lucky I caught it in time, but everyone should have the option to downgrade for longer than the current 1 week.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Is this specific to iCloud email, or is this a fault with aliases in general in the iOS Mail.app? I would never use iCloud email for anything I cared about, but I have plenty of aliases defined for my Fastmail account in the iOS app. Good thing I keep the update blocker from BetaProfiles installed.

And people wonder why you should never install an Apple .0...

General - I'm experiencing the issue with gmail/personal domain email addresses (thread linked in main post).

posguy99

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
but everyone should have the option to downgrade for longer than the current 1 week.
I'm of two minds about this. One, yes, please Apple, why do you stop signing so quickly? Two, you actually expect your average Entitled to have enough clue to be able to install some other IPSW? Not gonna happen.

WBRacing

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Bugs like this are why Apple should allow downgrading major releases, at the very least for a month after release. I upgraded immediately to iOS 14 upon release and after a couple days noticed this problem sending emails from my Gmail and iCloud aliases. I only caught it when a work contact replied to my message, and I saw the wrong address in my quoted text of their reply! I use email heavily for work on the go so this would have been a major disruption, but thankfully I could downgrade before Apple stopped signing iOS 13. I'm lucky I caught it in time, but everyone should have the option to downgrade for longer than the current 1 week.

Like a fool I rushed to "downgrade" to 14. Now my fitness app data is paying the price.

LessO2

macrumors regular
May 20, 2012
This kind of thing has been happening to me for a long time, well before iOS 14.

I have a me and iCloud address. If someone sent me an email to the iCloud address on my iPhone or iPad, and if I wanted to reply to it to the iCloud address, I would have to select the me address and then select the iCloud address again for it to go out as iCloud.

It worked fine on MacBookPro.

Now on 14, if I want something sent out as me address, I select iCloud, and vice-versa.

Mike Gonzalez

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2020
Madrid, Spain
I found a workaround. I only use my Alias as my main email so I went to iCloud.com and removed the ability to send emails from iCloud main email and my other Alias so now I can send emails from the Alias I use. If you use more than 1 email address, then this workaround won't work for you

cox-orange

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2014
Germany
This has definitely been an issue in iOS 13 already. The problem of aliases switching in the background from time to time is not a new one.

Apart from that, the overall performance of iOS Mail is just poor - e. g. it’s still not possible to open and close single parts of an IMAP inbox folder structure.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
There's no reason why anyone shouldn't be able to downgrade at anytime to any version if they need to, this is simply control freak behaviour. This is why I have auto updates turned off, and why I always wait for several months at least before upgrading, to wait to hear what bugs and issues a new version has. Annoyingly, I therefore have to put up with the constant nagging to upgrade (and nope, you can't turn the nagging off).

Reactions: bankshot

Radeon85

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
Personal hotpot is also broken in ios 14. Windows 10 will see the phone but refuse to connect. This worked 100% of the time in ios 13 and every version prior. Apple is getting very sloppy.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
This has definitely been an issue in iOS 13 already. The problem of aliases switching in the background from time to time is not a new one.

Apart from that, the overall performance of iOS Mail is just poor - e. g. it’s still not possible to open and close single parts of an IMAP inbox folder structure.

That was true, but at least you could effectively choose the correct alias. Now the choice doesn't matter - it picks at random. The first was annoying, this flaw makes use of aliases nearly impossible.

posguy99

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Annoyingly, I therefore have to put up with the constant nagging to upgrade (and nope, you can't turn the nagging off).
Of course you can. Install the update blocker profile from BetaProfiles. It has an expiry date in April of 2021. By that time Apple may have gotten their act together, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The problem I'm having is that this is my update year (year 3) for my phone, and that means I'd be stuck with iOS 14. May need to replace the battery in my X this time and just keep going with that.

Apple Freak

macrumors member
May 22, 2009
I'm not sure about the alias issue but I've been seeing my smart mailboxes with unread badges for a while now. I never keep unread messages in my smart folders, if I click on a message that's not currently selected, the unread badges all go away. Been happening for a few weeks now.

I also noticed last night that the inbox on my phone does not show accurate messages in my mailbox. My iPad and iMac are fine (showing 6 total messages) but my phone shows only 2.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
Of course you can. Install the update blocker profile from BetaProfiles. It has an expiry date in April of 2021. By that time Apple may have gotten their act together, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The problem I'm having is that this is my update year (year 3) for my phone, and that means I'd be stuck with iOS 14. May need to replace the battery in my X this time and just keep going with that.
What??? I say that I don't want to have the latest OS until it's been released for several months, and you recommend I join the Beta program??? Have I misunderstood something?

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This is affecting plain-jane IMAP accounts, too.

My work account has two different domains; one is "cs" the other is "cis". I have the default "send" E-mail set to "cs" but since iOS 14 it's sending from "cis".

Not a huge deal at all, but it could cause problems for people who have bigger differences or aliases. I'm glad Apple noticed it and seems to be addressing it in iOS 14.2 at least.

posguy99

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
What??? I say that I don't want to have the latest OS until it's been released for several months, and you recommend I join the Beta program??? Have I misunderstood something?
Yes, you have pretty much completely misunderstood. Comes from not actually reading.

" Install the update blocker profile from BetaProfiles " <-- where does that say to join the beta program?

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Yes, you have pretty much completely misunderstood. Comes from not actually reading.

" Install the update blocker profile from BetaProfiles " <-- where does that say to join the beta program?

To clarify for @sideshowuniqueuser, you install the tvOS beta profile on your iPhone. Go to betaprofiles.com and scroll down to Block OTA Update. That causes the phone to only look for tvOS updates that are compatible with it, and of course there are never any tvOS updates compatible with the iPhone. Therefore it never thinks there's an update and you never have to deal with those nag messages. This trick has been around for at least a few years now.

The reverse used to be possible too (install iPhone beta profile on Apple TV to block those update nags), but tvOS 13 refused to allow installation of a non-tvOS profile. I'm frankly surprised that iOS doesn't yet block installation of the tvOS profile.

• Love
Reactions: sideshowuniqueuser

posguy99

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
The reverse used to be possible too (install iPhone beta profile on Apple TV to block those update nags), but tvOS 13 refused to allow installation of a non-tvOS profile.
There's a far easier solution... don't buy an ATV4. I certainly don't ever plan to.

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This is affecting plain-jane IMAP accounts, too.

My work account has two different domains; one is "cs" the other is "cis". I have the default "send" E-mail set to "cs" but since iOS 14 it's sending from "cis".

Not a huge deal at all, but it could cause problems for people who have bigger differences or aliases. I'm glad Apple noticed it and seems to be addressing it in iOS 14.2 at least.

By the way, I just wanted to report as another data point; I upgraded to 14.2 beta 2 and this problem is no longer happening to me. So it seems to be definitely fixed.

I don't think I've ever upgraded to a beta to fix a specific bug like this before. It's just too risky that a work E-mail might go out with a personal address or vice versa.

Reactions: adrianlondon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.